Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which production date X to target?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for some real world advice/opinions on buying a used X. I know about the differences over time with the X like the MCU upgrade, AP HW, interior features, Raven, etc. Some features can be upgraded, others obviously can’t. However, I only know about them all on paper, not real world. I can’t find any to test drive so it’s hard to tell what’s worth it and what’s not.

So my ultimate question is, where do you think is the sweet spot between value and tech. What production dates do you think should be avoided? I wouldn’t want a 2016 or anything on AP1. MCU1 I would upgrade. But is the Raven update really that big of a deal where I should only target April 2019 and later cars? Or should I be open to ‘17-18? Again, on paper I see the increased range, better charging times, etc. Is that adaptive suspension really a noticeable enough difference though? Ride quality and comfort is a priority for me, so there’s also that.

I don’t have a specific budget in mind. I’m more of a value guy. I could buy a new 100D for $100k but I’d really rather buy something for around $70-80k or less if it’s close enough to new and not too much of a tech difference. The other thing is, I don’t want the yoke steering and especially not the horizontal screen.

TIA!

Great questions. I’ve been researching and reading message boards, and this is definitely a question that I’ve had but not confident I know the answer, yet.

Edit: Actually, I remember now that I had asked something similar last year and had some helpful replies:

If ride comfort is important for you, the Raven with adaptable air Suspension would be worth the extra $. The shocks run in comfort mode during normal driving, but automatically firm up at higher speeds or in corners. Gives a smooth ride plus great comfort and handling when the need arises.