Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which questions would you like to be asked at the Q4 Earnings Conference Call?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the questions should be more related to the actual investment perspective and while I agree that AWD might increase customer base and therefore might be a relevant question in liaison with Model X unveil and launch the collision avoidance etc is more for other fora than earnings report.

The purchase of additional instrumentation that caught them the tax break, when is it fully installed and do they expect to be utilizing it in full by end of 2014 with the battery constraints resolved.
Has there been any progress on the gigafactory idea and when could we hear more about it (unless that's the panasonic announcement at Detroit motor show)
What is Teslas plan of re-using battery packs that come from replacements and trade-ins, would they plan to run the pack firstly as grid balancer and then recycling or straight to recycling

+ 1. I would also ask when the driving assistant package will be ready?
How's this?
paraphrasing previous Musk utterances said:
We prefer to use the term auto-pilot, as our approach is more like what airplanes use. We believe that Google's approach, while interesting, isn't the best path. We don't have much more to disclose at this time, but I can say our first implementation won't be aiming for 100% computer-controlled. Something around 90% is reliably achievable relatively quickly.

1. Will there be a Giga battery factory? When? Partner?
2. The recent purchase of more robotic equipment is known. When will it come on line? What will it be used for?
3. Model X: What are reservation numbers? When will we see production? What are production goals this year?
4. China: What are reservation numbers like? Any progress on using the Tesla name there?
5. Supercharging: Will there be additional charging speed upgrades? Can older vehicles be retrofitted to take advantage of these changes?
6. Model E and Y: When will we see a prototype(s). When will reservations open?
7. Beyond E and Y: There is rumor of a TM Truck: Will this be light duty (ex: Tacoma?) medium duty (ex: Ford 150-250) or heavy duty (Ford 350+)
8. Battery packs: Will we see a 110KW(+) battery pack? Timeframe? Retrofitable?

How's this?

It's good. IMO main purpose of the driving assistant package (or autopilot) is to help the driver in emergency situations at all speeds. So it's right that it has not to be 100% computer controlled.
I agree that Google approach (100% computer controlled) is not the right approach. This approach would eliminate the taste of driving, would be very expansive to develop and IMO wouldn't add any feature of safety with respect to a semi-automatic autopilot.

I think the questions should be more related to the actual investment perspective and while I agree that AWD might increase customer base and therefore might be a relevant question in liaison with Model X unveil and launch the collision avoidance etc is more for other fora than earnings report.

The collision avoidance system is important and can impact sales. It will also help Tesla maintain maximum safety. The NCAP has also incorporated collision avoidance system test in their safety ratings as of 2014. Lack of this system might cost Tesla a 5 star safety rating in Europe.

It's good. IMO main purpose of the driving assistant package (or autopilot) is to help the driver in emergency situations at all speeds. So it's right that it has not to be 100% computer controlled.
I agree that Google approach (100% computer controlled) is not the right approach. This approach would eliminate the taste of driving, would be very expansive to develop and IMO wouldn't add any feature of safety with respect to a semi-automatic autopilot.

I wouldn't say that 100% computer controlled is not the right approach. Just not the right approach for the Gen 3. The systems Google is developing are expensive and won't be ready until the 2020s. For the Gen 3, the 90% controlled makes a lot more sense considering the timing and costs.

I know that it's not most peoples main interest,but I'm wondering what the big surprise for Roadster owners in 2014 will be? With Model S being the money maker and big production model for Tesla at this time, us Roadster owners would like a bone thrown to us now and then!

I wouldn't say that 100% computer controlled is not the right approach. Just not the right approach for the Gen 3. The systems Google is developing are expensive and won't be ready until the 2020s. For the Gen 3, the 90% controlled makes a lot more sense considering the timing and costs.

As you are saying 100% computer controlled driving is not in the near future and the collision avoidance system has to be developed and implemented on the Model S within 2014 to keep 5 star safety rating.
For the far future I would like to say that I wouldn't like to drive a 100% computer controlled car (also because actually I wouldn't drive the car) if I knew that no feature of safety would be added to the collision avoidance system. IMO such a system, being very complex, could also decrease some features of safety.

Last edited:
I know that it's not most peoples main interest,but I'm wondering what the big surprise for Roadster owners in 2014 will be? With Model S being the money maker and big production model for Tesla at this time, us Roadster owners would like a bone thrown to us now and then!
I'm happy you have a Roadster and supported Tesla early on, but from an investor perspective I hope that Tesla Motors isn't wasting time on that as I'd rather have them doing everything possible to improve cars being made/sold now or in the near future.

Current progress on cell production. When will Model S production increase?
Progress on Model X?
Vampire losses: do you have an expected date when they will be eliminated?
"Giga-factory": any progress on plans? When shall we see more details?
Gen 3, how do you view progress on the necessary technological improvements required to hit your price goal?
Driver assistance technology/auto pilot: when do you project introduction of the hardware? First functionality?
Now that you've hit target for ex-ZEV margin what are you exoecting to do with "spare" income?
Any more work on battery swapping since the demo?
Are you seeing any improvement in the German market since the Supercharger openings?

1. Will there be a Giga battery factory? When? Partner?
2. The recent purchase of more robotic equipment is known. When will it come on line? What will it be used for?
3. Model X: What are reservation numbers? When will we see production? What are production goals this year?
4. China: What are reservation numbers like? Any progress on using the Tesla name there?
5. Supercharging: Will there be additional charging speed upgrades? Can older vehicles be retrofitted to take advantage of these changes?
6. Model E and Y: When will we see a prototype(s). When will reservations open?
7. Beyond E and Y: There is rumor of a TM Truck: Will this be light duty (ex: Tacoma?) medium duty (ex: Ford 150-250) or heavy duty (Ford 350+)
8. Battery packs: Will we see a 110KW(+) battery pack? Timeframe? Retrofitable?

Great questions as these are all questions I would want answered/clarified too. A couple of off the wall questions I would love to see answered now too are:

9)you once spoke of possibly creating some type of "holding company" for both Tesla and SpaceX. Do you still see this as a possibility and if so how could it benefit Tesla? (Ie. could some of the SpaceX profit in 2014 from sending so many more satellites up in space be used to benefit Tesla somehow?)

10)with your history as PayPal founder what are your thoughts on Bitcoin? Do you see Tesla Motors accepting payments in Bitcoin and if so when?

I'm happy you have a Roadster and supported Tesla early on, but from an investor perspective I hope that Tesla Motors isn't wasting time on that as I'd rather have them doing everything possible to improve cars being made/sold now or in the near future.

Curious that you think it is a waste of time making any improvements to a car only 3 years old. I would think showing cars are supported after the sale can only help future sales

If it wasn't at the opportunity cost of time that could instead be spent on developing current/future cars then I'd be all for it.
I feel certain several things can be done with relatively low effort. At some point they will need to offer a new battery pack. What if they announced one. Using the Model S cells they could easily improve range 20% and show the world an EV can be upgraded and improved upon.

If you have a Model S and have taken it to any car show or plug-in day I am certain you have had many questions about the battery, battery life and battery cost. This would be a perfect opportunity to answer those questions without a lot of cost and risk.

It would seem very short sighted to carry that philosophy as satisfied current owners of today, will be future owners of tomorrows models as well as future investors. As our adult children look to buy their cars, or as we look to buy/lease them vehicles as they come of age.... When it is their time to invest in the future this will be potentially important. Also there are many Model S owners that also own Roadsters. No political party or forward thinking corporation wants to have 2000 disgruntled constituents and their families:)