TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Which range indicator should I be concerned with?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by nleggatt, Feb 17, 2013.

1. nleggatt

nleggatt Member

My wife and I live at the top of a big hill which on the way up, our "projected range" drops rapidly. The "rated range" however stays pretty constant.

If I'm on a long trip over the mountains and my projected drops to say "0" but my rated says "75km" will the car stop? Should I be concerned? Do I really have 75km left?

Or, let's say we are driving home on the hwy and the projected says "50 km" and then on the way up the hill it drops to "0km" but the rated still says 50km?

Just trying to figure out which one actually indicates "your out of power!"

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

The car won't stop unless the battery is depleted. The projected is great for a steady state estimate, but going up a hill, especially if you haven't hit the "average" button will show horrible numbers on that instantaneous setting. Rated is probably best for mixed driving conditions.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

3. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

This is how Doug G dumbed it down for me about 6 weeks ago:

Ideal - how far the car will go if driven at a steady 55 mph on level ground at moderate temperatures.

Rated - how far the EPA says the car will go given their tests. Equals 88% of Ideal. Just a slightly more conservative version of Ideal.

Projected - how far the car calculates you will go if you keep consuming power at the rate you are currently. The distance it is calculated over can be adjusted by changing the graph settings. This is useful on long trips when you are driving in a consistent fashion (e.g. highway). If Projected is greater than the distance remaining on the GPS, then you are going to make it to your destination. If not, either slow down or stop and charge!

Both Ideal and Rated give an indication of how much power remains in your battery. Projected depends on how you've been driving, weather, heater use, etc.

Here's the whole thread that started with my request for the explanation. It does get off track in places but will help your understanding overall:

Rated vs Ideal vs Projected and how to use them

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Of course, if you are going up a mounting the projected range will drop like a stone, then going down it will rise to astronomical levels. So in mountainous areas you subract 6 miles of range for every 1000 feet of ascent.

5. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Projected defaults to instantaneous, which is annoying--useless to me in many situations (like these a short steep uphill drive). Change it to average, then pick a range (5, 15, or 30 miles) that seems to have similar driving in your past as you are doing now. I e-mailed Tesla yesterday asking for a way to (a) change it to default to average, and (b) show projected in place of rated, on the driver's display.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

They should default to 30 mile average and have option or default to EPA range in large numbers then (projected) in smaller numbers right below it in smaller text. You could compare the numbers during your journey that way more easily.

7. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Yes. I'd been thinking it'd be okay with the projected as an overlay on the driver display energy (or above/below? I forget if there's room there), since I keep that up frequently, but your suggestion's better.

8. celter

celter Member

As I understand it this situation wouldn´t be possible. You can´t have rated 75 and projected 0. Rated and projected would meet at 0 miles. Or am I wrong?