Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Roof Box are you using with Whispbar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any room in the front to drill/dremel/route out 0.5" of extra track?

Hm. Probably. Thou I would say it's more like 1" needed. I'll look at it in the morning. There's a locking mechanism that needs room to move.

Looking at the pics from [email protected] of his WB701, I am thinking that would do the job nicely too. I was a little concerned that it would be too long for the car, but in his pictures it looks great. Thanks for sharing!

I measured 35.5" (center to center).

The WB700 online information I found said maximum distance was 35", so I emailed support. They said it should fit.

Oh well...

Interesting. I just measured the distance on my 2012 (I did front edge to front edge because it was easier to get the tape measure to stay on) and it was 36" on the dot. The 700 wouldn't fit on mine either.

Yup.

I wonder if they forgot to think about how wide the roof rack bars are on the Flush. On a "regular" small bar it would have fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Hm. Probably. Thou I would say it's more like 1" needed. I'll look at it in the morning. There's a locking mechanism that needs room to move.

Looking at the pics from [email protected] of his WB701, I am thinking that would do the job nicely too. I was a little concerned that it would be too long for the car, but in his pictures it looks great. Thanks for sharing!

It won't work. A little more than 1" is needed. The locking handle would hit the front plastic if I continued the "track". No reason to chance it.

How is the storage space on the 701? I'll be using it for both random ski trips and long distance road trips(luggage, baby stuff).

Here's a front view, notice how the "box" is rounded across the top which doesn't really allow for boxy type loads like luggage. Actually because of the curved shape in both directions it doesn't make for a lot of usable internal volume. Because of this, and the expense , I'm not sure I would recommend it to someone else but it works well for us and, for a roof box, it does look good.

View attachment 111686

Because of the shape (narrow rounded) it's better suited for longer and cylindrical or soft objects.

In case anybody is interested, here's a picture of my roofbox storage and install hoist. I can install and uninstall by myself in a few minutes. The 701 is quite heavy.
Sky hoist.jpg

That's good to know. I ordered one yesterday from REI. It's the same color as yours. They're out of the black ones apparently. I have a similar roof pulley system but that looks like it works better. Mine is made by Thule and is really finicky.

That's good to know. I ordered one yesterday from REI. It's the same color as yours. They're out of the black ones apparently. I have a similar roof pulley system but that looks like it works better. Mine is made by Thule and is really finicky.

Interesting. I just found out that the WB701 has been discontinued, so what's in stock is what is available.
I am out of luck on finding a black one it seems.

Interesting. I just found out that the WB701 has been discontinued, so what's in stock is what is available.
I am out of luck on finding a black one it seems.

It's not all that surprising given the cost of this compared to alternatives. I ordered one only because I almost didn't make it back to charge. Glad I ordered one now. It's arrived at the Eugene REI, btw.

My WB701 has arrived and been installed. It looks much less out of alignment than the old box but it's probably just because it's shaped differently.

IMG_2055.jpg

The biggest difference is in how much quieter it is than the old one! Oh, also in how much less energy it seems to take to get it through the air. I took a little drive on I-5 from Eugene to Cottage Grove and back. Conditions were just about as perfect as they come (61F, sunny, no wind to speak of), traffic was light, and I set the cruise at 65 mph. The trip meter since last stop was from REI to my driveway (with the freeway bit in the middle). The picture of the average use graph shows approximately 15 miles of freeway driving on either side of the turn around (the little down and up spikes in the middle). I'm impressed.

IMG_2060.jpg
IMG_2051.jpg

I found one place that still has some Whispbar WB701B inventory, but to be ready for my trip I went on an adventure the last 48 hours to find a local solution.

While looking at a Yakima options at REI we spoke to Yakima support (again). They said their brand new Yakima ShowCase 15 fits the Tesla Model S.

I drove to Rack Solid in Santa Monica who had the first one in two days earlier. It does NOT fit. Too short between the locks.

So instead I picked up a Thule Sonic M in black. The Thule is just long enough between the two locks to fit the Whispbar Flush bars. I don't transport skis anyway, so the lack of length is not a problem.
It's a wider and taller box than I expected to get, but it is nice and roomy. On the trip back I noticed the additional power usage. I will need to test that more to be sure. The sound is not noticeable until 50 mph. After 70 mph it starts being louder.

Back at home it was a breeze to take the box off the car on my own. So that's a big plus.

Not sure if I will still buy the WB701B.

IMG_2636.JPG
IMG_2637.JPG
IMG_2639.JPG
IMG_2640.JPG
IMG_2642.JPG