Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which roof takes roof racks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure it was stated in one of the reviews that the glass roof (the all glass roof, the only one we've seen, since all cars have the PUP) has the flip-up spots for rack anchors (like many cars do). No idea on what the standard roof has since no one has seen one. And it may be (like with the non-PUP car), they haven't even built a final version of it.

Great! One thing the base roof has!
Technically, the glass roof is not the base roof. It is included with the PUP package. The standard roof will still be the metal roof.

I've looked at photos and I haven't seen any of those doors that people think there are. Looks like all glass to me. However that doesn't mean it still can't have a roof rack. There are other attachment methods possible. Besides we have seen a release candidate car with a rack on it, so clearly there has to be some way to attach it.

This was the article from Electrek that showed the roof rack on the test vehicle.
Tesla Model 3 spotted testing with roof racks
It looks like the rack is attached to the frame of the vehicle like the Model S setup.
I haven't seen any photos of the production vehicle roof that show attachment points either but this is definitely a feature I want. I use a cargo box regularly with the Model S and Model 3 has much less cargo storage.
tesla-model-3-roof-rack-e1495656859717.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: xav- and Carl
Technically, the glass roof is not the base roof. It is included with the PUP package. The standard roof will still be the metal roof.

I've looked at photos and I haven't seen any of those doors that people think there are. Looks like all glass to me. However that doesn't mean it still can't have a roof rack. There are other attachment methods possible. Besides we have seen a release candidate car with a rack on it, so clearly there has to be some way to attach it.
I didn't say the glass roof was the base roof. I was replying to the post that all roofs have the rack attachment.

And I'd read somewhere that the attachment method was, like BMW, where you flip a little door to find the place to screw the bracket to. It could be some other method.

Is the same with the MS sunroof (the one you can open). Four plastic little 'doors' (which, in the early days, had a certain tendency to fly away, but I suppose they fixed that now :)).

This was the article from Electrek that showed the roof rack on the test vehicle.
Tesla Model 3 spotted testing with roof racks
It looks like the rack is attached to the frame of the vehicle like the Model S setup.
I haven't seen any photos of the production vehicle roof that show attachment points either but this is definitely a feature I want. I use a cargo box regularly with the Model S and Model 3 has much less cargo storage. View attachment 239877
That’s definitely not after market roof racks - but Tesla don’t sell them, so I wonder what the go is

I've been searching for a picture of the 3 where you can see the small flaps like the S (or my BMW) has.
So far I haven't seen any sign of any. I would think you would be able to spot them on the lighter colors, but maybe not.
Has anybody actually verified what's there on the cars in the wild?
Or maybe the roof rack will attach differently. The rack in that picture of the car testing definitely looks like a dedicated design for 3 and not a generic rack so I have hope there will be a proper solution eventually

I've been searching for a picture of the 3 where you can see the small flaps like the S (or my BMW) has.
So far I haven't seen any sign of any. I would think you would be able to spot them on the lighter colors, but maybe not.
Has anybody actually verified what's there on the cars in the wild?
Or maybe the roof rack will attach differently. The rack in that picture of the car testing definitely looks like a dedicated design for 3 and not a generic rack so I have hope there will be a proper solution eventually
The rack has to mount differently. There are no "little doors" like the S has. I'm sure the rack will be something you can buy from Tesla, but just hasn't been released yet.

Or, like the Model S, it takes the Pano roof to get those "little doors." Since the pano roof has not been released yet, the roof rack has not been released yet.
But the picture shown in post #6 above clearly has a roof rack. And I see nothing to make me believe there is a roof other than the glass roof we have been seeing all along. How it attaches is unknown still.

I saw a video a while back where someone found 4 small slots on the model 3 beneath the rubber seal. It sounds like their description of a "T" slot where you would insert and then slide back. The rack frame would rest on the metal curved roof with a rubber or plastic foot Is what it looks like.

I may take a look and see if I can find them myself.

The model 3 roof rack is now in the Tesla store.

Model 3 Roof Rack

Last edited: