TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Which roof takes roof racks?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Nuclear Fusion, Aug 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nuclear Fusion

Has this been confirmed yet?

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Pretty sure it was stated in one of the reviews that the glass roof (the all glass roof, the only one we've seen, since all cars have the PUP) has the flip-up spots for rack anchors (like many cars do). No idea on what the standard roof has since no one has seen one. And it may be (like with the non-PUP car), they haven't even built a final version of it.

3. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

It was stated in a Fremont release video that ALL roofs have racking ports.

• Disagree x 1
  4. boaterva

Great! One thing the base roof has!

5. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Technically, the glass roof is not the base roof. It is included with the PUP package. The standard roof will still be the metal roof.

I've looked at photos and I haven't seen any of those doors that people think there are. Looks like all glass to me. However that doesn't mean it still can't have a roof rack. There are other attachment methods possible. Besides we have seen a release candidate car with a rack on it, so clearly there has to be some way to attach it.

6. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

This was the article from Electrek that showed the roof rack on the test vehicle.
    Tesla Model 3 spotted testing with roof racks
    It looks like the rack is attached to the frame of the vehicle like the Model S setup.
    I haven't seen any photos of the production vehicle roof that show attachment points either but this is definitely a feature I want. I use a cargo box regularly with the Model S and Model 3 has much less cargo storage. tesla-model-3-roof-rack-e1495656859717.jpg

• Informative x 2
  7. boaterva

I didn't say the glass roof was the base roof. I was replying to the post that all roofs have the rack attachment.

And I'd read somewhere that the attachment method was, like BMW, where you flip a little door to find the place to screw the bracket to. It could be some other method.

8. Carl

Carl Supporting Member

Is the same with the MS sunroof (the one you can open). Four plastic little 'doors' (which, in the early days, had a certain tendency to fly away, but I suppose they fixed that now :)).

9. Nuclear Fusion

Good to hear.
    The all glass roof would be a bitch in an Australian Summer

10. Nuclear Fusion

That’s definitely not after market roof racks - but Tesla don’t sell them, so I wonder what the go is

11. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

Would love to watch this if you could find/point out the release video that you saw. It's not something I've run across.

• Like x 1
  12. North75

North75 Member

I've been searching for a picture of the 3 where you can see the small flaps like the S (or my BMW) has.
    So far I haven't seen any sign of any. I would think you would be able to spot them on the lighter colors, but maybe not.
    Has anybody actually verified what's there on the cars in the wild?
    Or maybe the roof rack will attach differently. The rack in that picture of the car testing definitely looks like a dedicated design for 3 and not a generic rack so I have hope there will be a proper solution eventually

13. Zaphod

The rack has to mount differently. There are no "little doors" like the S has. I'm sure the rack will be something you can buy from Tesla, but just hasn't been released yet.

14. FloridaJohn

FloridaJohn Member

Or, like the Model S, it takes the Pano roof to get those "little doors." Since the pano roof has not been released yet, the roof rack has not been released yet.

15. Zaphod

But the picture shown in post #6 above clearly has a roof rack. And I see nothing to make me believe there is a roof other than the glass roof we have been seeing all along. How it attaches is unknown still.