Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which SC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm heading up to the Big E from NYC in a couple of weeks, and depending on where I leave from (May stop and pick someone up) there are a BUNCH of choices of where to Stop to charge

Assuming from home, ABRP suggests Darien south on the way home (if I take 95). I'm wondering if I'd be better off with a late lunch at West Springfield post show (Going to Eastec)
I can also take the Merritt (aka Yankee Expressway) and there are a few close (West Hartford, Waterbury, Danbury (should be in range) - a little further off path we have the Milfords

Mind you, ABRP says I need a 1 minute charge to get home with 10%

Thoughts? Will be the first trip where I actually have to charge

I drive from the Boston area to Philly regularly (roughly bi-monthly) since 2013 when I got my first Model S.
At first there was only I-95, then the Merritt opened up, now I-84 is an option. I generally go with the least amount
of traffic because I *hate* traffic. The Darien SC's are frequently ICE-ed as are the Merritt SC's regardless of
road traffic. We try (not always successful) to plan our charging with a meal and will sometimes choose the
charger which offers better food (Merritt being the worst...)

West Hartford used to suffer with ICE-ing as well, I have never seen a problem at Waterbury...

This past weekend we came back via the Tappan Zee (Cuomo Bridge?) avoiding traffic on I-287 also by taking PIP/9-W and charged in Danbury. There are a lot of considerations.

<snip> We try (not always successful) to plan our charging with a meal and will sometimes choose the
charger which offers better food (Merritt being the worst...)

W<snip>.

OK, that is a major consideration.

I figure I'll be getting to the show circa 9:00am, and I'll probably get out 1:00-2:30pm, and probably will want lunch (unless I grabbed a VERY overpriced snack at the show). It'll either be time for lunch, or at least a good snack. I see the Darien South has a Dunkin. If I eat at the show, good for a snack. Now I'm a SERIOUS coffee addict. Think is, if I go to West Springfield, it'll be lunch time...

Basically I'm looking for
1)Which have good amenities
2)Easy on/off the highway
3)Not likely to be totally ICE'd

The route is flexible - heck, I might make a stop on the way UP (If I do I-95) just to grab an extra cup of coffee (and get rid of the "old coffee) at Darien North (Breakfast)

The West Springfield supercharger (I-91 exit 13) is in an odd location, tucked in behind the shopping center (see Google Maps satellite view and you'll understand what I mean). It won't be ICE'd - there are 20-30 spaces back there, the SC's are in the furthest away ones, and I've only seen 5-6 cars back there. Enter by going around Stop and Shop (or the other back entrances, again, see Google Maps).

During the downtown Springfield 91 construction, the Nav system use to route you on 91 SB/off 91 NB via exit 3 and send you up rt 5 on the east side of the river to the SC. I haven't seen it do that since the construction stopped.

Food/coffee - the obligatory Panera is right by the West Springfield SC. Waterbury has a Frank Pepe's Pizza nearby. These may be fightin' words to a New Yorker, but there's a reason Pepe's/Modern/Sally's show up on most lists of best pizza anywhere...

• Love
Reactions: JWardell
<snip good stuff>

Thanks. I get enough Pizza.
I'd probably be going there AFTER the show at Eastern States, so no crossing the river necessary. I figure Memorial Ave to the traffic circle, up US-5, right to the shops. I see how things are behind the buildings, and saw the pictures of the walkway through.

The question basically was "Is this the best to stop at?" and it is looking like it is probably my best choice. Go, get a real lunch, sit for a bit, do a BIT more than the necessary 2 minutes of charge - aka get home with some extra, and then head back to NYC

I should have said "Eastern States Exhibition Center", but everyone refers to it as "Big E" - in this case the show is Eastec, which is a biannual machine shop show (biggest on the east coast)

I'm actually a bit surprised the grounds don't have a destination charger

The Big E refers to the event the Exhibition Center hosts in September.

;) But you should have plenty of viable options for charging in the area.

Isn't the Big E in September?
I should have said "Eastern States Exhibition Center", but everyone refers to it as "Big E"
The Big E refers to the event the Exhibition Center hosts in September.

I was still unsure about this, so I asked a good friend of mine (who grew up in Chicopee and now lives in Springfield, and was a chair of the Springfield Historical Commission for many years) what his take on it was.. and I'm happy to report that here is his response:

"Yes, that's what people colloquially call it around here. The other name is too long!"

So TIL -- "Big E" is used for both the event and the venue. :)

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
I was still unsure about this, so I asked a good friend of mine (who grew up in Chicopee and now lives in Springfield, and was a chair of the Springfield Historical Commission for many years) what his take on it was.. and I'm happy to report that here is his response:

"Yes, that's what people colloquially call it around here. The other name is too long!"

Honestly, I didn't think anything happened at "the venue" other than "the event." :) At least that's all I remember being promoted there when I lived in MA.

ah, makes sense. I'm about an hour and a half away, so we don't really refer to the venue at all, unless we're going to the event. LOL

Hey, Look on Google Maps, they have it labeled "The Big E"

Anyway, the ONLY thing I go there for is Eastec. It is now a show held on Odd number years, used to be every year. Industry trade show for machine shops. Want to buy milling machines that cost more than a new roadster? No problem, they even have them on display, running.
Long drive up and back (about 2.5 hours each way) and a full day of walking. Lot of fun for a person who only has a small garage shop to see how "The other half lives"