Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Service Center? Rockville, MD or Tyson's Corner, VA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pollux

Supporting Member
Hi,

I'm a recent immigrant to the DC area, residing in Chevy Chase. I had wonderful, loving times with the Service Center crews in Massachusetts (first Watertown, then both Watertown and Dedham). They sprinkled fairy dust on my car and served me unicorn tears to slake my thirst.

It's time for me to build a new relationship with Tesla Service, here in my new home country.

There are two obvious choices for me: the service center in Rockville, MD and the service center in Tyson's Corner, VA. Google Maps claims ~25 minutes by road from my house to both locations, so in theory I don't care that Virginia always seems harder to get to from here. :)

Which would you recommend to me?

Thanks,
Alan

First and foremost, welcome to the area. I like to think we have a great collection of Tesla owners in the DMC area! Regarding the service centers, I'm not sure it really matters. Granted, I've only been an owner for a few months now, so take my comments with a grain of salt. How often do you plan on going (other then once a year for yearly maintenance)? That being said, I have only dealt with Tysons and was happy with my service when I picked up my car. I don't plan on going back for another 10K miles :)

Hi, @MGMDaware,

Pleased to make your acquaintance!

I would hope that the service level is very high at both Rockville and Tyson's, but wouldn't be surprised to learn, say, that was one much more jammed up with local owners than the other. This definitely happens.

As for how often I plan to go, well... that's a bit of a mixed bag. I have completely switched from the guy who drove his Nissan Sentra 14 years straight without doing anything other than an oil change or two to the guy who LOVES LOVES LOVES his car and notices every little possible thing. Also... I confess... I *LIKE* hanging out with the Tesla service crowd. A great bunch of folks!

So, in general, I'd aim for getting into the service bay annually for an annual check-up. But possibly an additional time if I notice stuff during the year.

Also.... this particular time... I intend to ask their advice about shaping up the car for resale, either to Tesla or to a private third party. I think it's time for an upgrade...!

:)

Best regards,
Alan

P.S. Congratulations on your silver 75D! Hope you're loving it!!

All good points!

regarding upgrades . . . . I'm the guy that buys a car and then trades it in 1-2 years later for something completely different and/or upgrade. I love my car and don't foresee any changes soon, but I have been eyeing the P100D. It's such a nice round number!

biggrin.png

I think Tysons has more bays and they do have a supercharger that service staff can use on your car. But I started my service relationship with Rockville.
It was a pain to get to Rockville from northern VA so I'm grateful Tysons opened.
Last time I scheduled for my annual, the appointment was 4+ weeks out. I think that's probably indicative of of any service center around here. On emergency repairs, Tysons is very responsive and communicative. Rockville was the same way the couple of times I needed to use them.

Reactions: Pollux
I've had roughly the same experience as Half Dollar Bill. Level of service is excellent at both. I started with Rockville before Tysons opened, but Tysons is much more convenient to me in Falls Church. And yes, it's bigger and has a supercharger for staff to use. Tysons also has a showroom attached and offers test drives, for what it's worth.

I'd say it depends on when you expect to take your car in. I wouldn't want to deal with rush hour traffic into/out of Virginia. Going from Chevy Chase to northern Rockville is very easy in the morning, not so much in the afternoon.

I don't have experience with Tysons SC but Rockville has been great for me. It's walking distance to my office, so that helps. If you want to see new models/accessories I would think the Tesla store in Montgomery Mall would be very convenient to you.

Yes, absolutely get rid of that green P85+/tan interior. There's only room for one of us around here! ;)

Gotta take me for a ride when you get the P100D!!

Reactions: Pdub2015
I've always gone to Rockville, and staying on one side of the river is always easier than risking a bridge crossing - you never know when it's going to jam up. And Tysons is a peculiar traffic jam all its own whenever there's a shopping season. Like you, I could hang out at the service center all day - I do miss Erick (now taking care of "lower Virginia"), Jonathan (at Tysons) and Julia (formerly Mont Mall store, now Tyson's), so no matter which side you warm up to, expect change as Tesla grows their east coast footprint. I expect similar migration towards Owings Mill whenever that service center gets built.

Reactions: jthompson
I'd say it depends on when you expect to take your car in. I wouldn't want to deal with rush hour traffic into/out of Virginia. Going from Chevy Chase to northern Rockville is very easy in the morning, not so much in the afternoon.

I don't have experience with Tysons SC but Rockville has been great for me. It's walking distance to my office, so that helps. If you want to see new models/accessories I would think the Tesla store in Montgomery Mall would be very convenient to you.

Yes, absolutely get rid of that green P85+/tan interior. There's only room for one of us around here! ;)

Gotta take me for a ride when you get the P100D!!

Thanks, @DiamondDave... I guess I'm leaning towards Tyson's at this point, because I can spend time over in the sales area looking at various bits and pieces and talking about the mechanics of unloading the old car and getting a new one.

That said, the traffic to/from VA terrifies me. :-( But Rockville ain't great either, as you say -- except in the a.m.

As for green/tan.... wife had to talk me into it, but I admit the deep green has grown on me. I think it's a very refined color. Of course, I no longer have the option to select that color on a newer car, so you are going to be THE green/tan guy around here. :) The tan interior drives me nuts, though, because it's so easy to see crumbs / spills. I'm leaning towards a black interior for the next rev.

If I can get my act together and get all the details wrapped up while I still have my buyback period (through end of November), then I'll get the new beast and gladly give you a ride!

Thanks,
Alan

Didn't know about Owings Mill! Thanks, @CatB!

Alan

P.S. I sure was spoiled in MA. Watertown and Dedham SCs were magically each about 15-20 minutes away from me by car. Now it seems like I'm going to be 45 minutes from THREE SCs... Rockville, Tyson's and (one day) Owings Mill... not quite sure how I managed to be near so many SCs, which is great, or seemingly almost equidistant from each. :)

Reactions: CatB
Thanks, @DiamondDave... I guess I'm leaning towards Tyson's at this point, because I can spend time over in the sales area looking at various bits and pieces and talking about the mechanics of unloading the old car and getting a new one.

That said, the traffic to/from VA terrifies me. :-( But Rockville ain't great either, as you say -- except in the a.m.

As for green/tan.... wife had to talk me into it, but I admit the deep green has grown on me. I think it's a very refined color. Of course, I no longer have the option to select that color on a newer car, so you are going to be THE green/tan guy around here. :) The tan interior drives me nuts, though, because it's so easy to see crumbs / spills. I'm leaning towards a black interior for the next rev.

If I can get my act together and get all the details wrapped up while I still have my buyback period (through end of November), then I'll get the new beast and gladly give you a ride!

Thanks,
Alan

I'd say traffic to the Rockville location is tough after about 3 - any other time, even in the AM rush, should be fine. If you want to wait at the SC while they work on your car, there's not much to do where the SC is. Though they'd probably give you a ride to Rockville Town Square where there are a lot of restaurants, shops, and a library. Lakeforest Mall isn't too far either and they might even give you a ride to Montgomery Mall for the Tesla store.

If you're picking up your car in the afternoon rush, I've always found the Virginia beltway near Tysons headed back to Maryland to be a nightmare that time of day. Morning rush isn't as bad, in my limited experience.

Crumbs/spills?: No prob for me, no eating/drinking allowed in my Tesla!

OK, so I finally brought myself to make the issues list and get ready to take the car in for service.

Issues:
  • GPS - locates the car about 50-100 feet to one side rather than in the actual road its traveling in
  • Drive Unit noise level -- it's getting louder... :)
  • Cracked windshield -- can it be repaired? Must it be replaced?
  • Brake pedal - squeaks when I step on it
  • Seals sticking out/up -- middle of pano roofline, right rear passenger window top
Around 4 pm, I made my first call.

Accidentally, I called the Rockville SC first. Ring, ring, ring... voice mail... that's when I realized my error. Hung up without leaving a message.

Then I called the Tysons Corner SC. Ring, ring, ring... voice mail... left a detailed message with name, cell phone, brief description of issues, and my goal to make a service appointment. Asked if we could wrap up making that appointment today/tonight.

So I guess I'm now part of the famous crunch in this area. :) I'm realizing that it feels different to me compared to being in Massachusetts, but that's all about my particular history in MA. First, I never experienced an unanswered phone in Massachusetts. Somebody ALWAYS picked up, regardless whether I was calling the Watertown or Dedham Service Centers. Leaving a voice mail, while routine, feels less connected.

Second, in Massachusetts, I also KNEW key people on the service side. I knew the service advisors, I knew the manager at Watertown, I knew the guy who for a while was running both Watertown and Dedham, and so on. These men and women, each and every one, was crunched for time, working flat out, and yet ALWAYS fit me in somewhere. I could send them email and know for sure that they would get back to me. And if, once in a great while, they didn't get back to me as fast as I thought I needed, I could pick up the phone and call them directly. But I don't know anyone at Tyson's Corner or for that matter at Rockville!

I'm probably going to feel better after I actually go in for a service call and have an opportunity to meet some of the individuals involved.

I'm particularly focused on the Tysons Corner SC right now because I'm figuring that while I'm in there for a service call I can visit the appropriate sales or service folks to talk about initiating the three-year buyback on my P85+ and replacing it with some new Tesla. I dunno... a bare-bones S60.... maybe fancy it up with a little obeche gloss... or maybe an innocent little P100DL...

Alan

OK, so I finally brought myself to make the issues list and get ready to take the car in for service.

Issues:
  • GPS - locates the car about 50-100 feet to one side rather than in the actual road its traveling in
  • Drive Unit noise level -- it's getting louder... :)
  • Cracked windshield -- can it be repaired? Must it be replaced?
  • Brake pedal - squeaks when I step on it
  • Seals sticking out/up -- middle of pano roofline, right rear passenger window top
Around 4 pm, I made my first call.

Accidentally, I called the Rockville SC first. Ring, ring, ring... voice mail... that's when I realized my error. Hung up without leaving a message.

Then I called the Tysons Corner SC. Ring, ring, ring... voice mail... left a detailed message with name, cell phone, brief description of issues, and my goal to make a service appointment. Asked if we could wrap up making that appointment today/tonight.

So I guess I'm now part of the famous crunch in this area. :) I'm realizing that it feels different to me compared to being in Massachusetts, but that's all about my particular history in MA. First, I never experienced an unanswered phone in Massachusetts. Somebody ALWAYS picked up, regardless whether I was calling the Watertown or Dedham Service Centers. Leaving a voice mail, while routine, feels less connected.

Second, in Massachusetts, I also KNEW key people on the service side. I knew the service advisors, I knew the manager at Watertown, I knew the guy who for a while was running both Watertown and Dedham, and so on. These men and women, each and every one, was crunched for time, working flat out, and yet ALWAYS fit me in somewhere. I could send them email and know for sure that they would get back to me. And if, once in a great while, they didn't get back to me as fast as I thought I needed, I could pick up the phone and call them directly. But I don't know anyone at Tyson's Corner or for that matter at Rockville!

I'm probably going to feel better after I actually go in for a service call and have an opportunity to meet some of the individuals involved.

I'm particularly focused on the Tysons Corner SC right now because I'm figuring that while I'm in there for a service call I can visit the appropriate sales or service folks to talk about initiating the three-year buyback on my P85+ and replacing it with some new Tesla. I dunno... a bare-bones S60.... maybe fancy it up with a little obeche gloss... or maybe an innocent little P100DL...

Alan

Good luck on the visit! Anecdotally, I have never (in the 1 times I've called) gotten the voice mail for Rockville; someone always seems to get to the phone.

Let me know what you find out about the Drive Unit noise level. Mine has started making some noise as well and I seem to remember folks being told that it was "not actually anything to worry about" but also that entire DUs were being replaced for that regardless...

I don't really care about the noise, especially if it's not indicative of a problem, but I don't really want major surgery on my car at only 30ish thousand miles :-/