Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which ship is my car on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I received a call this morning from the delivery team as my car has been loaded onto a vessel at Houston and is en route to Europe.

I've been looking at the Marine Traffic website and I can't find any cargo ships bound for Rotterdam. I bought the app which hasn't helped me narrow it down at all, and I even tried paying for the upgrade on the website so I could track ships by destination. Unfortunately the site isn't working and won't process my payment for a free trial.

I've also tried the Wallenius Wilhelmsen website as per the instructions here, but the site doesn't recognise my VIN.

It's all been very frustrating as I've been checking the MyTesla app way more than a mentally healthy person should do over the past few weeks.

It definitely hadn't been loaded onto the ship last night so we're looking at this morning onwards. Any help with which ship it might be on, or past experience of what to try next welcome.

When did the car start its journey by rail? The update to My Tesla showing the car en route to Europe is a manual one, and it's perfectly possible that the car is on the way from last weeks sailing (Maersk) and they haven't updated My Tesla yet, and only got around to contacting you today.

I can't remember exactly when it started it's journey by rail but it was over two weeks ago. MyTesla updated this morning with the 'loaded onto a vessel and en route to Europe status' but if that's been done manually as you say, I might not be able to work out which ship it's on now.

Cue me randomly clicking on all Maersk ships crossing the atlantic that may or may not have set off last week!

I reckon you are on the Maersk Ohio then. That left Houston today, arriving Rotterdam on the 5th Feb. Funnily enough my car left Houston on the 20th Jan last year and I collected on the 1st March.

You're on the home straight, well nearly! ;)

Does it really matter ,delivery team told me it had been loaded in November and sure enough it turned up a few weeks later.

Not really, but I'm a bit obsessive (to put it mildly), it's a bit of fun, being able to track where my car is exactly in the world, and this is the single most important thing I've bought in my life. I've never bought a new car before, never mind such an expensive, amazing one.

I reckon you are on the Maersk Ohio then. That left Houston today, arriving Rotterdam on the 5th Feb. Funnily enough my car left Houston on the 20th Jan last year and I collected on the 1st March.

You're on the home straight, well nearly! ;)

Thanks! Can't wait. I had thought that might be the ship, but with my limited membership of Marine Traffic, I can only see that it's going to USNFK. Thanks for the additional info.

Not really, but I'm a bit obsessive (to put it mildly), it's a bit of fun, being able to track where my car is exactly in the world, and this is the single most important thing I've bought in my life. I've never bought a new car before, never mind such an expensive, amazing one.

If you think your obsessive, this time last year a few us on the Facebook Group were finding web cams and looking out for the ships :eek:. We caught a glimpse at Norfolk before it started across the Pond. We knew far more about the location of our cars than the Delivery team did :).

• Love
Reactions: trace
That's exciting! When did you order your car ? I'm trying to figure out when I'll have mine..!

I ordered back in late September, but I did request a deferred delivery for Feb. I think at the time I ordered they were estimating late Dec for earliest possible delivery, but probably being optimistic. I expect it would have arrived about now anyway as there didn't seem to be any delay in it going into production.