Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which slot to choose at stations. Supercharging etiquette.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
Well here we are again. This is the same MS I reported on in a previous post in this thread. I was at the Petaluma SC this last Tuesday. When I returned to my vehicle, there he was occupying 3 stalls. This time he was awake. He is in 1B and 4A, plugged into 4B. I took these pics and asked him why he parked this way. His reply was that he did not want the sun in his eyes. Okay. At least he was in his car and awake (this time). I gather had there been an issue he would have moved his vehicle. But really.

https://www.heatshieldstore.com/sun_shades_for/tesla/model_s/2016

Problem solved.

Reactions: Blu Zap
If someone is in the car, and they aren't impeding traffic or other wise bothering someone, who cares how they're parked?

That's like saying "if someone is at a restaurant alone, with no other patrons, it's okay to be loud, fart, burp, sit at a table for 10, and throw food around the establishment."

It's about order an discipline, and being friendly. At any minute, someone else could come into the restaurant and sit down to eat.

Unfortunately, the layout of this SC makes the abuse possible. To go back to the urinal analogy, people may hate standing with their back to the door, but it's pretty unpleasant for others when you aren't facing the right way. Maybe some dividers or curb stops would help here so people can't straddle the two spots.
One of the main advantages of this type of Supercharger layout is the ability to pull in forward. Adding dividers or curb stops would take away that advantage.

One of the main advantages of this type of Supercharger layout is the ability to pull in forward. Adding dividers or curb stops would take away that advantage.
Heavy utilization would also take away what you call an "advantage", since you can't pull through a spot that's already occupied to get to the next one. The guy at the Petaluma supercharger has proven the disadvantage to this open layout: one car is able to block two spots (actually three, since he's using the charger meant for the next spot over.)

Are some people really not able to back their cars into a charging spot, using the rear camera and side mirrors? Or is this about the ability to charge a Model X without unhooking a trailer? (In which case, it's still one car taking up two spots, and the layout should be changed to better accommodate that scenario.)

• Funny
Reactions: EVie'sDad
More about our Petaluma SC parking challenge. I was at the Mountain View SC today and there was a Tesla technician there replacing charging cables one by one. (you know it is a busy SC when they have to change the cables on a regular basis). Anyway, I mentioned the Petaluma guy taking up 3 stalls. He said, "oh yeah is that the guy who didn't want the sun in his eyes". Turns out the info in this tread has been circulating around Tesla and they are aware of the issue. Glad to hear it! Perhaps this could lead to different SC layout to prevent this kind of thing. Who knows. But it is good to hear our input is noticed by TM.

Hey guys,
Well here we are again. This is the same MS I reported on in a previous post in this thread. I was at the Petaluma SC this last Tuesday. When I returned to my vehicle, there he was occupying 3 stalls. This time he was awake. He is in 1B and 4A, plugged into 4B. I took these pics and asked him why he parked this way. His reply was that he did not want the sun in his eyes. Okay. At least he was in his car and awake (this time). I gather had there been an issue he would have moved his vehicle. But really.

View attachment 199279View attachment 199277
That second pick describes that driver to a tee. lol

Reactions: Blu Zap