Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which slot to choose at stations. Supercharging etiquette.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the issues I have is, since I am road trips when I access superchargers, I am unfamiliar with the SpC layout order (1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, etc) vs(1a, 2a, 3,a, 1b, etc.

The downside is the often the labels are at the base of the charging stall connector, and cannot be easily read while pulling in. I have to get out of my car, walk around finding out which are on which order and then come to the decision and get back in and plug into the stall I think will give me the most efficient charge.

It would be nice if those labels (1A, etc) were posted in neon above the stalls where all the drivers entering could easily gauge which charger pairs are in use and which are most likely to be faster. This would at least alleviate the issue of finding the optimum charging stall by getting out of your car first.

Until Tesla provides more information on the stall assignments or usage indicators, this would be an easier and less costly solution.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
We need a simple solution where any owners will understand. A/B varies from SC to SC. Nose in, back in can all be confusing. It gets down to understanding and awareness.

I was at the Petaluma SC this afternoon. When I parked I was the only Tesla there. When I got back, here is what I found!

Now let's look closely. This guy came in from the wrong side. So nosing in he occupies 1A. He overhangs into 3B behind him. Then he uses 4A charging cable, that is paired to me in 4B! So basically occupies 3 stalls and pairs with a charger already in use! I attempted to talk to him, but he was sound asleep in the drivers seat. If there were other vehicles there, it would be different. I just left. Uneducated? Doesn't care? Or perhaps another issue? But clearly something is wrong with this guy. If you know him, please ask him if he woke up okay. If yes, please inform him of what a jerk he is, on purpose or not. This is a serious problem.

IMG_0815.jpg

We need a simple solution where any owners will understand. A/B varies from SC to SC. Nose in, back in can all be confusing. It gets down to understanding and awareness.

I was at the Petaluma SC this afternoon. When I parked I was the only Tesla there. When I got back, here is what I found!

Now let's look closely. This guy came in from the wrong side. So nosing in he occupies 1A. He overhangs into 3B behind him. Then he uses 4A charging cable, that is paired to me in 4B! So basically occupies 3 stalls and pairs with a charger already in use! I attempted to talk to him, but he was sound asleep in the drivers seat. If there were other vehicles there, it would be different. I just left. Uneducated? Doesn't care? Or perhaps another issue? But clearly something is wrong with this guy. If you know him, please ask him if he woke up okay. If yes, please inform him of what a jerk he is, on purpose or not. This is a serious problem.

Wow that's funny. That's exactly where my son and I were just after we left you the other weekend. 'Course we only occupied one stall (where that guy's tail is) and we were facing the right way.

I'd probably invoke the "never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" doctrine on this guy. There's no hope of anybody understanding pairing if they don't even know which pedestal to plug into and how they should be approaching the spaces. I agree with your "understanding and awareness" comment...most Tesla owners, if given the proper knowledge, will do the right thing.

Anyway if I was there, I'd have helped you bang on his windows (in a peaceful, non-threatening, educational way, of course) to try to give him some understanding and awareness. :)

Bruce.

Reactions: Blu Zap
Maybe you should've unplugged him if he was so sound asleep. That would certainly get his attention if he was feigning.
you cannot unplug the car without the car being unlocked
I don;t believe in advocating obnoxious behavior
if the owner was in the car initiating a friendly chat where you could point out the errors of his ways would be more appropriate

you cannot unplug the car without the car being unlocked
I don;t believe in advocating obnoxious behavior
if the owner was in the car initiating a friendly chat where you could point out the errors of his ways would be more appropriate
You make it sound as if I don't own a Tesla. You think the plug was put in with the snake? No the owner got out of the car, thus unlocked the car. So unless the person specifically locked the doors after they got back in the car and reportedly, it MOST likely was still unlocked. Given your brazen and unapologetic posts in the past, I'm more surprised you used the word 'obnoxious behavior'. The amount of dislikes you have received in the short amount of time tells me a lot. I'll take the high road and save you a dislike. If you read through @Blu Zap message, he did approach the car to attempt to talk to the sleeping driver. Dialogue can only happen if the other person appears to be awake.

Hey guys. I was at the Mountain View SuperCharger today. I showed this photo to the Tesla attendant and his boss who happened to be there. Justifying the attendant there and also at the San Mateo SC. They couldn't believe it! Okay, pairing is a usual problem. But for one vehicle to take up three spots - they had never seen it! Use this pic as an example of what we deal with in the wild!

Reactions: EVie'sDad
What is the difference in charge time from empty to full between best and worst case? By best case, I mean not sharing a charger for the entire charge, and by worst case I mean you plug in right after someone else who is also going from empty to full.

I'm guessing it's no more than about 5 to 10 minutes, but I'm not an owner so I can't say for sure. That doesn't mean you should ignore the pairing - by all means use a non-paired charger if one is available - but I don't think it's as big a deal as many in this thread seem to think it is (that said, the picture Blu Zap posted of the car using up 3 stalls is definitely a jerk move).

View attachment 196401
I think that's why they started putting arrows in the lanes, to tell drivers which way to pull in through these 'drive-through' type stalls.

Reactions: Blu Zap
Hey guys,
Well here we are again. This is the same MS I reported on in a previous post in this thread. I was at the Petaluma SC this last Tuesday. When I returned to my vehicle, there he was occupying 3 stalls. This time he was awake. He is in 1B and 4A, plugged into 4B. I took these pics and asked him why he parked this way. His reply was that he did not want the sun in his eyes. Okay. At least he was in his car and awake (this time). I gather had there been an issue he would have moved his vehicle. But really.

IMG_0823.jpg
IMG_0822.jpg

Hey guys,
Well here we are again. This is the same MS I reported on in a previous post in this thread. I was at the Petaluma SC this last Tuesday. When I returned to my vehicle, there he was occupying 3 stalls. This time he was awake. He is in 1B and 4A, plugged into 4B. I took these pics and asked him why he parked this way. His reply was that he did not want the sun in his eyes. Okay. At least he was in his car and awake (this time). I gather had there been an issue he would have moved his vehicle. But really.

If there was ever a "Tesla Rodeo" this could be an event...how many charging stalls can you render unusable while still lining up with a pedestal? Bonus points for coming up with a good excuse.

I am not sure I would have brave enough to take his picture. Granted you have a little more of the don't-f*ck-with-me look than I do... :)

Bruce.

Hey guys,

View attachment 199279View attachment 199277
That owner is definitely a douche. Now everyone knows his plates. Now all we need is program it into the tesla autopilot system to identify the plates and drivers would know when they see it so we can flip him off when we pass him on the road.