Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Snow-Chain are you using with your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S snow chain in the Tesla website is too expensive ($420):
Model S Snow Chains

I don't want to pay that much since I'm just going to be keeping it as a reserve in my trunk; I probably would barely use it. Is there any other chains that work with Model S 19" (245/45R19) wheels?

Just wanted to check what you guys are using and how well it's working out before I shell out 500 bucks on a snow-chain.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: hpartsch
Snow chains aren't meant for 21" tires, only 19". I bought a pair of the auto socks, seemed to work ok, they were a pain in the ass to take off- won't use again.

Just ordered some upeor snow chains from Amazon, will put them on this weekend and check for clearance. Taptes sells some that look decent for around $150.

• Informative
Reactions: brucet999
Snow chains aren't meant for 21" tires, only 19". I bought a pair of the auto socks, seemed to work ok, they were a pain in the ass to take off- won't use again.

Just ordered some upeor snow chains from Amazon, will put them on this weekend and check for clearance. Taptes sells some that look decent for around $150.

I have 2015 Model S 70 with 19" 245 45 R19 tires.

Tesla used to sell Trak Sport chains. Now they sell König K45 chains for $420.
I see Quick Trak car tire chains from Chains-R-Us for $340 that look exactly like Trak Sport.

Does anyone know why Tesla changed suppliers?
Anyone use Quick Trak ?
Anyone in SoCal have chains they don't need and want to sell?

Auto socks! not chains but IMO work just as good if not better and no way they can damage the car. If AWD will cost around $200 for all four wheels. If RWD $100
I’ve read on other forums some MS owners only put on the rear… others on all four. I only carry one set.

Attachments

• 24F0816C-8BD2-4470-A87D-153D9064AEE9.png
    24F0816C-8BD2-4470-A87D-153D9064AEE9.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 229
  • 6B69FE17-0DCA-46E9-A601-4A6678F5835E.png
    6B69FE17-0DCA-46E9-A601-4A6678F5835E.png
    659.1 KB · Views: 70
The Model S snow chain in the Tesla website is too expensive ($420):
Model S Snow Chains

I don't want to pay that much since I'm just going to be keeping it as a reserve in my trunk; I probably would barely use it. Is there any other chains that work with Model S 19" (245/45R19) wheels?

Just wanted to check what you guys are using and how well it's working out before I shell out 500 bucks on a snow-chain.

Thanks for your help!
I decided to spring for those König chains from Tesla for my 2022 S (after having used Z-chains on my 2014 S). Unfortunately, I had to send them back after I learned that when Tesla says "The fitting system has been pre-configured for Model S 19" Wheels", means that it will *only* fit on Tesla's snow tire kit and omits (a) two of the sizing connectors, and (b) the 17mm and 19mm adapters that clamp over those respective lug nut sizes. The first item was semi-tolerable (you need to remove them to fit the tire), but the second was a dealbreaker because the wheels for my snow tires use a 19mm lug nut. I wasn't able to find the 19mm adapters for sale separately anywhere...

I ended up ordering the König kit from etrailers.com for essentially the same price, and it included all three adapters.

Be careful saving money -

Snow Chains 21 Turbines, Learn from my mistake

there was another thread about a cut control arm from snow chain cables as well.
Yeah - I used Z-chains on my 2014 Model S for a few years, and *always* had to carefully check the far side of the tire after they were installed to make sure the inside cable was against the tire and not hung up on that control arm. Remembering to perform that step while in a night-time blizzard at a Donner Pass chain installation area adds a degree of difficulty...

Hmm, The auto sock manual says to place the socks on the same axle as tire chairs per the manual… Model S manual says rear tires. I haven’t used them yet… these work better on the front? No issues?
I thought tire chains on rear only recommended on RWD. I took it for granted that your S is AWD. I haven’t read the manual for those but I believe chains are most efficient on the front when AWD. No issues so far (2 winters). I found they are more durable than the previous sock I used and were more prone too tearing.

Reactions: Leeclanual