Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Snow-Chain are you using with your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've spent most of my life in CA, going to Tahoe from the bay area almost every year, and driving myself there since the 1990's. I've never once been stopped for an inspection to see if I'm carrying chains in my 4WD vehicle with good (m+s all season usually) tires. They just wave me on by. Not saying it couldn't happen, but that's my anecdotal experience.
Just because it hasn’t happened doesn’t mean it won’t. I went 8 years w/o a front plate and got a ticket. From a cop I drove by daily for 8 years.

I really like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06+ and have never had to use chains in California. I have been stopped and asked, but I just said "the chains were in the back if I need them but I have 4WD and Snow Tires" and they waved me through the stop.

I was up in Mammoth Lakes the 27th-8th and again this MLK weekend, never had an issue with traction.

Below is my Tesla and all I had to do was knock the snow off the top and clear enough to get the door open and I drove right out of here...

BuriedTesla.jpeg

Reactions: seenhear and phecda
Technically yeah you're supposed to carry chains even with snow tires but that is lower priority than having a front license plate, aka nobody cares.

I've been stopped many many many times over the years by cal trans (maybe 3 times tops by NDOT) and they just ask "4WD?" and then let ya go. I'd say about 1 in 6 times they will actually look at the tires. But not once have I ever been asked to show my chains (that I don't have) or even asked if I have chains.
Same here. I think this is because they just close the road if it gets to R3 conditions. I'm sure it's happened, but I've personally never driven a major road that is caltrans controlled in R3 (or if I did, I didn't realize it). They almost always close it when it gets to R3. I've driven in much worse on smaller roads, but never on the major roads where they have chain control checks. The only time someone will likely be in R3 is if you were already waved through, and then the weather turns and starts dumping big time and they close to new traffic but let those already on continue (which may have happened to me and I just didn't know it). This is why they want you to have chains with you, *just in case*.

Reactions: cmarshack
Absolutely, I understand the concern about the cost. For a more budget-friendly option without compromising quality, consider TESERY's Tesla Model S Snow Chains.

These snow chains are designed to work efficiently with your Model S 19" wheels (245/45R19). They provide reliable traction in snowy conditions and are a practical choice to keep in your trunk as a reserve. Many users have found them to be effective and more economical compared to some other options on the market.