Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Snows and Why Poll?

Which Snow Poll

• Michelin X-Ice XI3

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Nokian R3

Votes: 62 22.7%
  • Nokian WR G3

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Nokian WR G4

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Continental ContiWinterContact

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • Vredestein Wintrac Pro

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Vredestein Quatrac 5 Tires

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Blizzak LM-32

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Blizzak LM001

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Pirelli Sottozero 3

Votes: 25 9.2%
  • Pirelli Sottozero 2

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 26 9.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My little buddy and I put the Xi3s on this Sunday before a good snow storm. They are great. No regen issues on my AWD that I note.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20181125_175234.jpg
    MVIMG_20181125_175234.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 125
They weren’t able to actually get them. Price seemed too good to be true. So beware SimpleTire.
For those of you who’ve ordered the winter tire/wheel package from Tesla direct - are you charged when you order it, or when the wheels arrive?

The site is just screwy, I had the price change on me too many times.
I ended up ordering the Falken winter tires from Pep Boys. We don't get a ton of snow and I was hesitant to get the more expensive ones.

Just got the Nokian R3s on RTX Contours. I like the look but this tire is a little loud for my liking (first time snow tire user). The tires may be overkill for N.J./MA but with RWD I figure I would overindex on grip. The tires do not feel as good as the all seasons on drive pavement. We’ll see how things go this winter and if I think I can get by with Performance Snows I will do so when the time comes to replace.

EFE501CB-15F6-46E0-92B9-F4F8ED39FF9E.jpeg
E2C2DF8B-7F3D-4E21-8EE3-4E0E680A6BEB.jpeg

Ive been procrastinating on purchasing snow tires for my Tesla. I have other vehicle options if we do end up having a snow storm, so it's not critical that I get snow tires. I just thought overall it would be safer and I already have an extra set of rims.

Where's the best place to purchase tires, to get a deal? Is there a certain time of year that snow tires are sold at a discount?

I ended up going with Michelin Crossclimate+ over the Nokian WRG4. Consumer reports rated it a little better. In the end though since I live in San Diego can't go with a real snow tire like the ice3 (too warm for daily driving here) so needed something that can stand the heat but still drive me to Mammoth

Just got the Nokian R3s on RTX Contours. I like the look but this tire is a little loud for my liking (first time snow tire user). The tires may be overkill for N.J./MA but with RWD I figure I would overindex on grip. The tires do not feel as good as the all seasons on drive pavement. We’ll see how things go this winter and if I think I can get by with Performance Snows I will do so when the time comes to replace.

Your snows are NOT overkill for MA. But I think your comment is the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen mentioning the R3's being noisy and that is the ONLY reason I went with Xi3's instead of R3's, because I know the R3 will be a great snow tire but I just couldn't deal with a tire any noisier than OEM 18's.

Reactions: outdoors
Your snows are NOT overkill for MA. But I think your comment is the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen mentioning the R3's being noisy and that is the ONLY reason I went with Xi3's instead of R3's, because I know the R3 will be a great snow tire but I just couldn't deal with a tire any noisier than OEM 18's.

I just got the nokians R3s on and they are definitely really noisy. I was surprised as I saw that they were rated quiet. X ice and pirelli ice zero are much quieter.

• Informative
Reactions: RyanT and mswlogo
I just got the nokians R3s on and they are definitely really noisy. I was surprised as I saw that they were rated quiet. X ice and pirelli ice zero are much quieter.

Keep in mind that the Euro Ratings on tire noise are for External Noise, as in how much noise pollution they make, not cabin noise.
The two measurements don't necessarily correlate. I read up on tons of reviews and tests that included cabin noise on R2, R3, Xi3 and others and the Xi3 was frequently on top and the R2/R3 was never a front runner on cabin noise.

I sure wish there was a standard rating for Cabin Noise.

Decided to purchase some full on snow tires for my Model 3. I bought the Nokian Hakka R3s but probably should have gotten something a little more performance oriented. There just aren't a lot of choices in snow tires that are in factory size and have the needed load rating of the car.

I need to drive the car in real snow/ice conditions maybe 10-15 times a year tops, but when I do need to drive in those conditions I typically need it to perform well enough to drive around safely as we can get huge amounts of packed snow and I live on a hill, and have a pretty steep driveway into the house. I have a new job where "work from home" when the roads are bad might not always be an option.

On my previous two cars (both BMW 3 series with x-drive) I just got by with my all season tires (the stock Pirellis)... they weren't great but they could get me from point A to point B without any real drama.

My other cars that have to get around in the winter wear Michelin X-Ice and I've been pretty happy with those.

Back when I drove Audi A4s I always ran a dedicated set of wheels with Dunlop Wintersport M2 or M3 and was very happy with the winter performance I got. They drove for the most part like performance summer tires with a little less grip and they absolutely ripped through the snow with zero issues. I often could out drive trucks and SUVs that had weak winter driving skills.

So enter Nokian Hakka R3. I ordered this because it seemed like one of the most solid dedicated snow tires for the M3 and met the load rating.

When they pulled the car off the lift and drove it over I looked at the rubber and was like "crap, these are truck tires"... and they are. They have a very deep extremely aggressive tread and profile and don't look like they belong on the car.

Doesn't matter though.... how do they drive. Well, in the first 50+ miles there is noticeably more road noise and I expected that.... they don't have the foam insulation of the stock all season tires.

Handling is where they are letting me down. They are a lot more hesitant and "squishy" than the stock rubber... and this is pretty disappointing considering the very high cost of these as well as their pedigree.

I should have bought something else.