Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which SR 3 would you pick?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a 21 3 SR LFP that I'm scheduled to pick up next week. The 2022 LFP has slightly better range but is 1/2 second slower. My SA said it's because of the motor in the 2022's. I'm thinking the 21 SR w/LFP will be rare here in the US and might be the most desirable. I'm curious to know which one you would pick? 21 SR NCA, 21 SR LFP, or 22 LFP?

As a driving Enthusiast I'd rank them in this order: 21 SR NCA, 21 SR LFP, 22 LFP. Mostly because the NCA is quite a lot lighter and obviously the fastest.

Practically speaking there's really not much difference between them, wouldn't be overly excited or sad about any of them unless you live somewhere cold, then the NCA would easily be the top choice.

iron battery EVERY time, regardless of whether you are driving enthusiast or not. you will thank me later. the iron battery is way more worth than 0.5s of acceleration. I cant even state how much superior the LFP battery is - you get probably 1/4 - 1/5 of the degradation with better range and you can charge to 100% all the time rather than keeping it below 80%. With the LFP battery you wil have more range than an AWD model after a few years.

If you care that much about performance then you gladly fork out extra for the performance model 3.

The iron batteries already have more range at 100% than the current performance models have at 90% everytime. And the performance will degrade heavily another 10-15% over the next 3 years. Its unfortunately now come to the point that the Model 3 SR+ with LFP batteries has better range than the LR model 3 - i presume that is the reason they dropped the names coz its confusing.

• Disagree
Reactions: XPsionic and El joe
iron battery EVERY time, regardless of whether you are driving enthusiast or not. you will thank me later. the iron battery is way more worth than 0.5s of acceleration. I cant even state how much superior the LFP battery is - you get probably 1/4 - 1/5 of the degradation with better range and you can charge to 100% all the time rather than keeping it below 80%. With the LFP battery you wil have more range than an AWD model after a few years.

If you care that much about performance then you gladly fork out extra for the performance model 3.

The iron batteries already have more range at 100% than the current performance models have at 90% everytime. And the performance will degrade heavily another 10-15% over the next 3 years. Its unfortunately now come to the point that the Model 3 SR+ with LFP batteries has better range than the LR model 3 - i presume that is the reason they dropped the names coz its confusing.
Let's not be that excited.

LFP batteries are NOT superior. Why are 4860 cells NOT going to be LFP if LFP is so superior?

The SR with LFP battery is almost 4400 lbs. The AWD LR with NMC is about 4000 lbs. Think about that. One less motor yet weights almost 400lbs more.

The winter performance of LFP is poor. Low discharge, car will go in to limp mode at around 20%. Charge rate is low in winter.

Last edited:
Reactions: DOOLMTR
The SR with LFP battery is almost 4400 lbs.
Where did you get such a high weight for the RWD LFP? I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Tesla's own website lists 3582 lbs for RWD and it looks like it's been updated for the LFP pack. Searching around the internet, I'm finding some variance, but even the highest reported curb weights are under 3900 lbs.

Let's not get carried away. Lots of data on this. Staying under 95% is key, not below 80%. Tesloop has a lot of data on this with some of the highest mileage teslas.

OP, really depends on your driving habits and what you value more, speed/agility or battery. As someone else mentioned the LFP supposedly really struggle with winter, so that 100% charge could be less than 85% on a NCA.

Where did you get such a high weight for the RWD LFP? I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Tesla's own website lists 3582 lbs for RWD and it looks like it's been updated for the LFP pack. Searching around the internet, I'm finding some variance, but even the highest reported curb weights are under 3900 lbs.
Sorry my mistake. The standard SR with NMC battery is around 3500lbs. The SR with LFP is close to 3900lbs. I guess the idea still stands.

Model 3 SR with LFP - 1745kg - 3850lbs

Model 3 SR with NMC - 3552lbs

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: XPsionic

Superior? No. LFP is cheaper - that's the only reason for the switch, and why you're seeing it on the cheapest versions of the Model 3 only. Even the 4860 is staying NCA. LFP's benefits over NCA only come into play for people that are regularly driving their SR+ a couple hundred miles between charges and live in warm climates.

Let's not get carried away. Lots of data on this. Staying under 95% is key, not below 80%.
This is actually very factually incorrect. Calendar aging is the #1 cause of degradation in lithium ion batteries.

For NCA lithium batteries, calendar aging starts to increase noticeably around 55-57% SOC. LFP batteries are much less sensitive to calendar aging, thus the ability to charge to 100% regularly and not worry about it.

The goal is to keep an NCA battery from sitting at a high SOC for a prolonged period. "Just in time" charging is the best when charging to 80%, 90%, or 100%.

Here is the link to one study; there are many more you can read also:

Let's not be that excited.

LFP batteries are NOT superior. Why are 4860 cells NOT going to be LFP if LFP is so superior?

The SR with LFP battery is almost 4400 lbs. The AWD LR with NMC is about 4000 lbs. Think about that. One less motor yet weights almost 400lbs more

The winter performance of LFP is poor. Low discharge, car will go in to limp mode at around 20%. Charge rate is low in winter.
If you are getting an SR+ the LFP battery is a much better choice than an NCA SR+. If you cared THAT much about performance, you would get a LR or P model.

The SR+ is an ideal candidate for an LFP battery. Shorter range but charging to 100% and not worrying about degradation makes the effective range much better. There is no reason an SR+ should use an NCA battery. Cost is also a big factor.

I think where we get off track on discussions like this is that one battery is NOT superior over another. They both have pros and cons and are useful in different applications.

• Disagree
I've got a 21 3 SR LFP that I'm scheduled to pick up next week. The 2022 LFP has slightly better range but is 1/2 second slower. My SA said it's because of the motor in the 2022's. I'm thinking the 21 SR w/LFP will be rare here in the US and might be the most desirable. I'm curious to know which one you would pick? 21 SR NCA, 21 SR LFP, or 22 LFP?
The 2022 SR+ LFP has a 60 kWh battery instead of 55 kWh on the 2021 SR+ LFP.

The increased battery size and weight (and perhaps this purported new motor) causes the decrease in acceleration.

Several people on the SR+ waiting room confirmed the 22 LFP also has the heated steering and rear seats, so something else to consider.

For me living in Colorado I'd want to understand the cold performance of LFP much more before deciding. Maybe the 22 LFP if cold weather performance wasn't too bad

Let's not get carried away. Lots of data on this. Staying under 95% is key, not below 80%. Tesloop has a lot of data on this with some of the highest mileage teslas.

OP, really depends on your driving habits and what you value more, speed/agility or battery. As someone else mentioned the LFP supposedly really struggle with winter, so that 100% charge could be less than 85% on a NCA.

if you live somewhere hot (australia) you need to keep it stored well below 90%. If the battery sits all year at 30C this will lead to premature degradation. As per my friends who all charge to 90% and are all sitting on 20-23% degratation. Meanwhile im a bit better at 14%. But i keep mine at 60%.

Yes if you live in germany or northern usa i dont think it matters.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
This is actually very factually incorrect. Calendar aging is the #1 cause of degradation in lithium ion batteries.

For NCA lithium batteries, calendar aging starts to increase noticeably around 55-57% SOC. LFP batteries are much less sensitive to calendar aging, thus the ability to charge to 100% regularly and not worry about it.

The goal is to keep an NCA battery from sitting at a high SOC for a prolonged period. "Just in time" charging is the best when charging to 80%, 90%, or 100%.

Here is the link to one study; there are many more you can read also:

i think so too. Milage/kms and dc fast charging seems to be almost irrelevant for the model 3 degradation, it seems largely to depend on storage SOC and storage temperature and age.

Last edited:
If you are getting an SR+ the LFP battery is a much better choice than an NCA SR+. If you cared THAT much about performance, you would get a LR or P model.

The SR+ is an ideal candidate for an LFP battery. Shorter range but charging to 100% and not worrying about degradation makes the effective range much better. There is no reason an SR+ should use an NCA battery. Cost is also a big factor.

I think where we get off track on discussions like this is that one battery is NOT superior over another. They both have pros and cons and are useful in different applicat
My thoughts exactly. For the SR it appears the LFP is the way to go and I prefer the 21 because I do like the extra performance.

It depends on what you want. Do you want to be a stoplight warrior? Or do you want the punch 20-100 or do you want the range? That's NCA, LFP, 2022. I have an 2021 LFP and it's definitely a bit slower off the line than the other SR+ M3's I've driven but it is WAY quicker once you hit about 20mph. I would really love to see some back-to-back comparisons once the 2022 is here to see what the performance really looks like beyond the 0-60 which only tells a small part of the story.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
It depends on what you want. Do you want to be a stoplight warrior? Or do you want the punch 20-100 or do you want the range? That's NCA, LFP, 2022. I have an 2021 LFP and it's definitely a bit slower off the line than the other SR+ M3's I've driven but it is WAY quicker once you hit about 20mph. I would really love to see some back-to-back comparisons once the 2022 is here to see what the performance really looks like beyond the 0-60 which only tells a small part of the story.
Interesting! I wasn't aware of the 20-100 perf difference you describe. I've driven the SR NCA but I haven't driven the LFP yet. Any regrets for getting the LFP?