Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which SSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a Samsung T7 500GB in each of our Tesla cars. They have been working great for about 2 years.

Edit: Let me add that the car’s software has had a bug that doesn’t mount (“open”) the SDD correctly. The work around was to unplug the drive, count to ten and plug it back in. This was not a fault of the drive. Current car software does not have this problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocHolliday
Upvote 0
We have a Samsung T7 500GB in each of our Tesla cars. They have been working great for about 2 years.

Edit: Let me add that the car’s software has had a bug that doesn’t mount (“open”) the SDD correctly. The work around was to unplug the drive, count to ten and plug it back in. This was not a fault of the drive. Current car software does not have this problem.
Thats odd , ours will do similar when I remove the ssd from the holder case and when I reattach it works , however as soon as I return to the car the issue arises again , so I will remove and reattach after some time 👍 the crucial ssd has been brilliant until last update thank you

Upvote 0
I’m new to the Tesla world - what are you using the SSD drives for? Audio storage or something else?

Can be used for 2 things (though it's crazy overkill for either vs a good quality thumb drive which Tesla was supplying from the factory for a while, or an SDcard-- both of which sip a lot less power too and usually are rated for higher temps than an SSD)

1) Dashcam footage, which can be saved manually, or with sentry mode.... this only uses like 1.8GB for an hour of footage... and by default it only retains 1 hour total in the dashcam folder, plus whatever you manually save or sentry saves from alerts (10 min worth in each case, so about 300mb)-- so realistically 128GB is plenty for this in most cases.

2) Music (which obviously is however much space you need to hold all the music you want

Reactions: android04
Upvote 0
Is there a correlation between size of SSD vs. playback speed? Meaning the larger the SSD size the slower the playback? After I get into the car it seems to take forever (probably 20 seconds) to play the footage. I usually get in and attempt to view only to be impatient and backup and leave.

Upvote 0
do you need to partition in order to store dashcam footage and music separately? has anyone checked the ssd with crystaldiskinfo after a year?

Yup you do-- and you also will need to avoid the in-car format option or risk nuking your music.

Much easier back when there were multiple USB-A ports and quality splitters for em to just run 2 separate storage devices one for cam and one for music-- trickier now with fewer data port/splitting options.

Upvote 0
SLC is pretty crazy overkill for dashcam, if you run the actual math on how little data it really writes vs expected lifecycle of say much cheaper TLC flash.

Which folks have, many times, on here. In typical use a much cheaper drive should still be good for like 5-10 years on average. Depending if you're using it 24/7/365 or only like 8-10 hours a day at work.

Upvote 0