Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which system to reduce AC current spike?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, so which system did you end up with to reduce the current spike when AC starts? My LRA is 145, the compressor inside the AC is a scroll type. Sure start, easy start, what other "soft start" system is worth trying? What reduces the spike best?

Tesla installed the SureStart on my 129 LRA compressor... and it does reduce the inrush current, but not enough. My two PWs cannot carry the load of the AC starting during a grid failure, so my AC is not backed up.

Tesla installed the SureStart on my 129 LRA compressor... and it does reduce the inrush current, but not enough. My two PWs cannot carry the load of the AC starting during a grid failure, so my AC is not backed up.
ok, doesnt sound promising for me so far. I also have 2 PWs. The claim from sure start distributor is 60-70% reduction of inrush current if its a scroll compressor, which my AC is.

I have a Hyper Engineering Soft Starter (for high amperage HVAC condenser loads)
It works well on my 4-Ton 48000 BTU air conditioner.
I have Powerwalls and a Backup Generator.
The Powerwall install team replaced my old soft start September of this year with a Hyper Engineering.
It works better than the old soft start installed by the HVAC people when my Generac generator was put in.
I'm holding the old one in my hand right now and it has no model number or manufacturer's name on it.