Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Tesla can beat most sports cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I currently have the mid level dual motor Tesla Model 3. It's pretty fast, but I don't know if its truly faster than the BMW M3 I used to have, but I am pretty confident it can be considering the BMW M3 always had to shift and always lagged hard when flooring it. But all these variables, especially EVs being quiet, its hard to know for sure what is faster. But I almost feel my Tesla Model 3 is faster than my 2013 Lime Rock BMW M3 I used to have.

But what about cars like Nissan GTR, Lamborghini Huracan, Audi R8, Porsche Carrera, AMG or M-series? Which Tesla would I need to beat most of these types of cars? Or show them up when they want to challenge me in a race, is it possible to buy a Tesla (that's not the future Roadster) that will beat most or some of these cars? And how much would you have to spend?

Is the P100D like the current badge of Tesla like AMG is to Mercedes, M-series to BMW? I only tried racing against what I think was a P100D, but it was for sure a Tesla Model S, but I lost, that thing was so insane I still remember it.

But I've once challenged a Lamborghini Aventador, the owner was into racing his car, so I did a fun challenge see if I could keep up with him. I didn't beat him, but my $60k car kept up with a $300-500k car.

Yeah, P85_DA has it dead on. The S P100DL is the way to go for sure, specifically the new "raven" model from this year. But keep in mind, a lot of those cars you mention will beat out Tesla's over a certain speed. We get the quick 0-60 they get the continued power in higher speeds. But for a 1/4 mile run, get that S P100DL for sure!

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
The Model 3 Performance will beat most high end sports cars in a 1/4 mile drag race. Mainly because it's got instant acceleration and jumps off to a quick lead. Usually when those cars hit their power band they start to gain on it quickly. But if you're just doing stop light challenges you'll probably win most of them with a Performance because by the time you reach "safe" street speeds you'll still be ahead. You'd have to get to insane, go to jail if you get caught, type speeds for one of them to overtake you.

11.5 is possible with P3D.

Replace what I said with “mid-11s” and nothing changes.

That said, nearly every single report I’ve come across shows the stock P3D is incredibly consistent at 11.7-11.8.

So if someone cracked off an 11.5, it was either a fluke/unicorn or had a bunch of weight removed - neither indicative of repeatable real-world performance.

Reactions: TyH2009
The Model 3 Performance will beat most high end sports cars in a 1/4 mile drag race. Mainly because it's got instant acceleration and jumps off to a quick lead. Usually when those cars hit their power band they start to gain on it quickly. But if you're just doing stop light challenges you'll probably win most of them with a Performance because by the time you reach "safe" street speeds you'll still be ahead. You'd have to get to insane, go to jail if you get caught, type speeds for one of them to overtake you.

How much faster is the Performance vs Dual Motor? Will I notice a huge difference if say someone didn't tell me I was in a Performance and I assumed I was in a Dual Motor? I just wonder if the cost savings was worth not getting Performance.

Like what kind of customer decides they want to get a Performance over the base model / Dual Motor? Like someone who is like, "It's not that much more" or someone that's like "I really want extra speed / performance and don't mind paying extra for it".

Lol, that’s hilarious. P3D might hang for the first 1/8 mile, so there’s some morsel of truth in your street racing comment, but high 11s In the quarter is a far cry from “beat most high end sports cars” territory.

I said most, not all. And the vast majority of ones that can beat it cost at least 2x the price, some 10-20x the price.

The P100D will beat almost all of those.

Reactions: Glamisduner
How much faster is the Performance vs Dual Motor? Will I notice a huge difference if say someone didn't tell me I was in a Performance and I assumed I was in a Dual Motor? I just wonder if the cost savings was worth not getting Performance.

Like what kind of customer decides they want to get a Performance over the base model / Dual Motor? Like someone who is like, "It's not that much more" or someone that's like "I really want extra speed / performance and don't mind paying extra for it".

There is a rated difference of 1.2 seconds 0-60. I think you'd feel that.

I'm getting the Performance because I want the speed and the price is in a range I can afford. Not sure what other people use for justification.

Go test drive one and see. It's free and there is zero pressure to buy when you’re done.

For straight line S P100DL ;)

Can this Tesla make a good track car?

Seems the car community doesn't associate higher end Teslas (EVs in general) as track cars compared to more common sports cars like Mercedes AMG or BMW M-series. Or people in general don't associate Tesla with race cars for the track.

I always dreamed of a gas car that would just go instantly anytime I floor it, like when playing GTA. But even the BMW M3 Lime Rock I used to have, it looks like a car out of a video game, but if I floor it, the car wouldn't go anywhere. Only way I could accelerate well is if I was in control of the dual clutch and shifted accordingly, the M3 wasn't smart enough to figure out how to do it automatically. Tesla Model 3, its really does drive like a video game car in real life. It doesn't have those imperfections of gas cars.

Feel like it will take a while until we see go-kart places like K1 speed have pictures of Teslas instead of BMWs. Even though K1 is using all electric, yet it still wants to associate itself with gas based sports cars in their theming.

Interesting question, but I'd say it doesn't matter in normal city driving. If you're just going to the next light and you need a different lane next to no ICE can beat an M3 in the crucial 0-20 mph that gets you your slot. ICE's simply take too long to spin the up engine unless it's already revved.

Reactions: CarlK
I said most, not all.
Yeah, and that’s still wrong. I’m not sure what you define a “high end sports car” as, but it seems my definition might be different.

And the vast majority of ones that can beat it cost at least 2x the price, some 10-20x the price.

Fully agree P3D is an almost unmatched performance bargain, but now we’re making excuses and moving goalposts, and none of those things makes the absolute statement you said above any more true.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
There is a rated difference of 1.2 seconds 0-60. I think you'd feel that.

I'm getting the Performance because I want the speed and the price is in a range I can afford. Not sure what other people use for justification.

Go test drive one and see. It's free and there is zero pressure to buy when you’re done.

My parents decided to go with dual motor. I wonder how most consumers who chose dual motor concluded / justified their choices. I kinda thought people who go for base model are just trying to get in a Tesla as cheap as possibly and can afford a base BMW 3 series, and Performance customers are people who were considering cars like BMW M3 or Mercedes C-class AMG.

I just don't know what's the basic assumption for those who go with dual motor, like in the middle of cheap and most expensive.

I just don't know what's the basic assumption for those who go with dual motor, like in the middle of cheap and most expensive.

I’m guessing because it’s what they wanted. Lots of people value max range or AWD but don’t really give a squirt about 0-60 performance, particularly once it passes the “more than good enough” threshold.

Reactions: puckpurnell
My parents decided to go with dual motor. I wonder how most consumers who chose dual motor concluded / justified their choices. I kinda thought people who go for base model are just trying to get in a Tesla as cheap as possibly and can afford a base BMW 3 series, and Performance customers are people who were considering cars like BMW M3 or Mercedes C-class AMG.

I currently drive a maxed out BMW 340i, not M3. It was roughly the same price as the Tesla Model 3 Performance. (Low $60k range) The M3 is actually quite a bit more expensive and it's actually slower than a Model 3.