Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which tires? Help me choose!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,
I have a rwd 60 and need new tires. I run winters, but these are for summer. I work for Goodyear, so the ones I get a good deal on, and in my price range, are what I am deciding on....

Goodyear Eagle Touring. I think these come on some Model S now, have heard they are very quiet. My car came with the Eagle RSA2s.

Goodyear Eagle RSA2. Had these as OE, not much to complain about, not great in the rain, I got about 50,000km out of them.

Dunlop Signature HP. Pretty good reviews on Tire Rack.

Prices roughly the same for all 3 for me.
Thanks!

I am running Bridgestone Pole Position S04's in the summer months. Very sticky tire. They have about 8K miles on them now.
I would not run them in the winter however. But they are quiet and hardly took any balancing weights. I had them on my Supra and you can expect about 40K miles from a set in the summer.

For summer tires, I haven't seen anything better than Michelin Super Sport. I wonder why they don't have that for the 19s.
I suggest you check this website pmctire.com. Last year, they had the best prices in the entire country.

I like the Michelin Primacy tires on mine.
My new car came with Goodyear tires and I told Service to take them off as they were noisy compared to the Primacy.
Michelin has always had the best tires period. Wouldn't get anything else.

i know this post is too late but........

summer only = Michelin pilot super sport if you can find them for cheap OR Michelin pilot sport 4 (new model but expensive)
All seasons = Continental Extreme Contact DWS (2nd highest rated tire on tire rack) or Pirelli Cinturato P7 (highest rated tire on tire rack)

the all seasons will probably be able to last you 5-6 years due to the high UTQG rating

They are still "All season" though. It's either summer or winter tires and I strongly recommend both!

Technically, they are not all -season tires since all-season tires do not qualify for this:

showflakesymbol_opt.png

• SEVERE SERVICE EMBLEM OR MOUNTAIN SNOWFLAKE SYMBOL DESIGNATION RATED FOR USE IN SEVERE WINTER CONDITIONS
Nokian WRG3 - All-Weather Tires / Nokian Tires

I have two sets of rims and tires -- for summer and winter -- but a buddy has these and really likes them. I didn't even know such a tire existed and I was concerned about being turned around on the highway since it can happen if you don't have the snowflake emblem on your tires. If I knew of these tires before buying two sets, I would have got them instead.

No noticeable difference in range after installing the WR G3s. And others are also correct: all-weather is not all-season. Totally different concept. Sure, they're a compromise, but a good one. Probably not as good in the worst winter conditions as Hakkapeliitta R2s, but we've not had a problem in snow in S. Ontario with the WR G3s, they're less noisy than most winter tires (though slightly noisier than most summer tires), and they save us the cost and storage of additional rims and tires, of course.

I replaced them at 88,000 km (almost 3 years) but probably could have gone to 96,000 and still have 4/32" left, which is my lower limit. Bought at Kal Tire. Pmctire seems not to handle Nokian, not a good sign…I don't know of other all-weather options. Anyone know?

Reactions: Spenny818
Good to know there's no noticeable difference in range with the WRG3

AFAIK the Nokian WRG3 are the only all-weather tires that are available in suitable size for the Model S. (I have a friend who swears by all-weather Hankook Optimo 4S, but I'm pretty sure those don't come in a size to fit the MS).

We've had a set of WRG3-SUV on our CR-V for a year and a half (different tread pattern than the non-SUV variant, but same concept) and they do a good job, significantly better even in light snow than the previous all-seasons yet don't wear excessively in summer. For my Model S I went with a 2nd set of wheels for winter with Hakkapeliitta R2 tires, and have the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 for summer - when those wear out I may consider a different performance/summer-only tire.

And yes, it bears repeating that all-weather tires are NOT the same as all-season tires - the former have the mountain&snowflake logo and are a much better year-round compromise than all-seasons if you only want one set of wheels/tires. FWIW, I hear that BC Hydro and Telus have WRG3 tires on all their fleet cars year-round.

Reactions: Spenny818
Any update? How do you find the Falkens so far? Are they noisy?

Although I'm 100% sold to the Michelin SS, I might consider the Falkens this time because I spent a lot this year on my Model S.
The Falkens are really good bang for the buck. The handling is quite good. Noise level is on par with the conti5. I really like them. Plus the wheel guard lip extends more than conti which gives a bit more protection from curbs. For 1200 including taxes, I figure I can get almost 2 sets of falkens for 1 set of conti

Reactions: Lodo1000