Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which tires to use for long trip?

Which tire set it best for efficiency for upcoming 700 mile road trip

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting ready to go on a long long trip this week. About 700 miles one way. I live in Indiana and currently have Bridgestone Blizzaks on my 19" wheels. I also have a set of 21" Arachnids with Michelin Super Sport tires. There is zero chance of snow as I'm headed south and I'm seriously thinking about putting the 21" tires on now. However, if I'm going to experience a significant efficiency drop with the 21" I'll keep the Blizzak's on for the trip and then swap tires when I get back. But then again, they are winter tires so am I already loosing efficiency due to winter tires? Thoughts?

I don't like either of the choices. 21" is out. Leave them for sunny days in town and impressing your girlfriend. On a long trip the most important thing is flat resistance because the car has no spare and it's very inefficient to carry one. Winter tires have softer tread compound and more flexible belts which makes them more likely to have flats. Michelin Primacy 19" tires appear to have the best flat resistance.

Reactions: outdoors
I would be more concerned about wearing out the winters than efficiency. Put the summer tires on if there is no chance of snow.
This. Winter tires are so soft, you can almost see the clouds of shredded tread dust behind the car in warm weather. Just kidding, but they do wear out quickly in warm weather. If you plan to use the winter tires next season, take them off before you go. The difference in efficiency likely won't matter that much.