Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Trim model 3 should I buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening fine Tesla folks. Looking for some advice here. My wife has recently come around to the fact that the Miata we purchased in late 2019 is no longer practical for our family with our son starting day care and our days in the office being variable. We need to have a second vehicle he can ride in, we can both drive, and most importantly feel safe and secure in. We've test driven the Model 3 previously and recently took a look at it again as well as the Y. While I'm bummed a bit about the loss of the USS it is what it is; I like the uniqueness of the Polestar but frankly the capability and charging infrastructure are in my opinion just not there yet (maybe somewhere down the line once Tesla has opened up fully the supercharger network).

In any case, I've settled on the Model 3, but I am struggling with which trim. Stereo matters not at all; my hearing is through cochlear implants so I can't even hear bass anymore. I like the fact that I can charge a RWD to 100% every day; I like that it's cheaper. I like the Long Range being long range. While this is really not going to be a road tripping vehicle, just a commuter (~30 mi / day) I do like having nice things. And then of course there's the Performance. Fast is good. Am I ever going to track the thing, drag race it, probably not; those days are well behind me. We're leasing because I'm expecting three years down the line the EV landscape looks a lot different. Cost isn't a factor. It's my wife, me, and our son. There's occasional deep winter weather to worry about but we still have an ICE SUV for now as well (on winters to boot).

So, thoughts? Is there anything that should really be pushing me to the Long Range, or the Performance? Is the frunk in the RWD bigger wtihout a front motor? Do you notice that the RWD weighs 500 lbs less in daily driving? Does the fact that it can't charge as fast impact you? Does an LR or a Performance get appreciably better range in real world charging (limiting to I dunno, 70 ish %) compared to the RWD? Do the interior LEDs on the LR and Performance make it a lot nicer; do you notice the fog lights (they're basically useless on our SUV)?

Thanks friends.

If cool and speed isn’t a factor, get the standard range. It’s a perfectly great car. If you want to feel extra fast, get the long range or performance. Essentially all the info you need to decide is on the website. There is essentially no difference between the standard range and the other 2 unless you like to blast music in the car and enjoy the insane sound system in the long range and performance. It still sounds great in the standard car, just not quite as good.

The frunk is not bigger in the standard range (RWD is what they call it now)
You do not notice that the RWD weighs less at all.
The fact that it can’t charge as fast doesn’t matter because it a smaller battery to charge.
You can find all the range info that you need on the website.
The LEDs do absolutely nothing. In fact, they just removed some of them so it’s even less now.
You don’t notice the fog lights.

I got a long range, but highly encourage the RWD for anyone who isn’t taking the thing on 500 mile road trips.
(I might encourage waiting a bit for the prices to come down.)
Enjoy your car!

Good evening fine Tesla folks. Looking for some advice here. My wife has recently come around to the fact that the Miata we purchased in late 2019 is no longer practical for our family with our son starting day care and our days in the office being variable. We need to have a second vehicle he can ride in, we can both drive, and most importantly feel safe and secure in. We've test driven the Model 3 previously and recently took a look at it again as well as the Y. While I'm bummed a bit about the loss of the USS it is what it is; I like the uniqueness of the Polestar but frankly the capability and charging infrastructure are in my opinion just not there yet (maybe somewhere down the line once Tesla has opened up fully the supercharger network).

In any case, I've settled on the Model 3, but I am struggling with which trim. Stereo matters not at all; my hearing is through cochlear implants so I can't even hear bass anymore. I like the fact that I can charge a RWD to 100% every day; I like that it's cheaper. I like the Long Range being long range. While this is really not going to be a road tripping vehicle, just a commuter (~30 mi / day) I do like having nice things. And then of course there's the Performance. Fast is good. Am I ever going to track the thing, drag race it, probably not; those days are well behind me. We're leasing because I'm expecting three years down the line the EV landscape looks a lot different. Cost isn't a factor. It's my wife, me, and our son. There's occasional deep winter weather to worry about but we still have an ICE SUV for now as well (on winters to boot).

So, thoughts? Is there anything that should really be pushing me to the Long Range, or the Performance? Is the frunk in the RWD bigger wtihout a front motor? Do you notice that the RWD weighs 500 lbs less in daily driving? Does the fact that it can't charge as fast impact you? Does an LR or a Performance get appreciably better range in real world charging (limiting to I dunno, 70 ish %) compared to the RWD? Do the interior LEDs on the LR and Performance make it a lot nicer; do you notice the fog lights (they're basically useless on our SUV)?

Thanks friends.

I havent really answered this because its a personal decision, but with that being said....

1. The inability or ability to "charge the car to 100%" or not does not impact anyone who has home charging and is not running the entire battery range out daily. It simply doesnt. People "discuss" "complain" and whine about losing 10-20 miles of range, or that their car only gets 200 miles instead of 300 miles, but when your daily commute is < the full range of the car, it absolutely ... does .. not .. matter.

2. Whether the longer range battery means something to you or not depends on how long you see yourself owning the car, where you intend on going, and whether there is charging accessible along the routes you want to travel.

3. Whether the additional speed (and its significant) means anything to you depends on what you are used to. Miata's are not "fast" in general but they ARE "quick". I wouldnt compare any 4 door sedans handling chops to a miata. I have only owned a performance model 3 so I dont know if the the SR / RWD feels "lighter".

I doubt it, but perhaps it does.

The frunk isnt different, etc, but that was already covered. They are all good, but the RWD is too slow for me, because I like the power when I want it and was willing to pay for that when I bought the car in 2018.

As far as best "value"? The RWD is probably the best value among the 3 of them. You basically described that you wanted the RWD. You dont really care about the speed, etc.

Reactions: NyanM3P
As far as best "value"? The RWD is probably the best value among the 3 of them. You basically described that you wanted the RWD. You dont really care about the speed, etc.
As far as value, this is it. The SR for a commuter is the best value. You get everything other than bigger battery and dual motors. Do you need the performance? Personally, if the M3P wasn't my only car, the SR would be perfectly fine, but it is going to be our families only car. If I had an ICE for winter and road trips, I would have ended up in the SR category. (But parking costs money where I am living) Really, its an introspection if you're commited to this being a daily commuter or more than that. If it is more than that, then a long range or performance is the choice.

I found that both single motor and dual motor were quick enough, but the dual motor was more smooth. There is some weight transfer and a bit of hesistation on the SR sometimes, where the dual motor always goes immediately and smoothly, like it had some Star Trek propulsion. The P has some disadvantages of fragile tires and wheels and expensive tire replacement and harder ride.

And I do appreciate the sound system very much unlike the OP and occasionally use the full range for a round trip.

I agree that the RWD is probably the right choice for him.

Based on what you're looking for, the RWD might be what you're looking for. It's still a good deal for what you get and should haul your entire family with ease. Assuming you are keeping the Miata still so you can always drive that car if one is in need of spirited driving.

Miata's sold, we're taking delivery of our Long Range Model 3 on Saturday. Thanks everyone. The key thing for me was this thread and others I read about the driving dynamics not being noticeably different different even with the lower weight of the RWD. Given the low CG due to the battery this makes a certain amount of sense. Appreciate the input from everyone. I want the performance but the inability to get it with anything but the 20" wheels was the show stopper for me; the delta in price I just couldn't get over. This will still be the quickest four wheeled vehicle we've had, which'll be fun.

Miata's sold, we're taking delivery of our Long Range Model 3 on Saturday. Thanks everyone. The key thing for me was this thread and others I read about the driving dynamics not being noticeably different different even with the lower weight of the RWD. Given the low CG due to the battery this makes a certain amount of sense. Appreciate the input from everyone. I want the performance but the inability to get it with anything but the 20" wheels was the show stopper for me; the delta in price I just couldn't get over. This will still be the quickest four wheeled vehicle we've had, which'll be fun.
I found driving dynamics of the dual motor to be better.

The one time you need to drive 120 mi and it uses 190-200 miles of battery and you are looking for a supercharger and stressing about it even worries an LR owner like myself. Some piece of mind is worth it I think. I work with a guy who has an SR who drives less distance than I do each way to work and the number of times he rolled in with zero miles to work because his condo doesn’t give him any home charging ability, is in the dozens of times the past year. The stress on his psyche takes a toll. He has to supercharge always or find a charger in the parking garage which is impossible.