Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Type-2 Lead / Extension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
I'd like to carry a Type-2 lead in the car. Tesla never mentioned it at collection when I asked "Anything else I need" - I mean, I had my credit card in my hand for cripes sake!

Recommendations for suppliers please (yeah, I've been to Tesla a couple of times for service and each time forgotten to ask, I just want to buy one mailorder via the simplest route, but something of sufficient quality). Although ... thinking about it, the car is nearly a year old, and I ought to book it in for service ... so maybe "Get a Tesla one" is the answer?

I've needed a Type-2 twice now ...

... last week I parked in a multi storey, I was going to be there two days, and by chance found that they had EV charging points. I wound up using the 13-AMP side, but Type-2 would have been better as I wouldn't have hogged it for so long, although i did move during the day in case anything short-range needed it. It saved me driving 15 minutes in the wrong direction to get Supercharged.

What a performance that was! Had to register with ChargeMaster. Called them, had a useful conversation, told them I didn't want the subscription service because this was my first "need" in 12 months but I've used plenty of Superchargers in that time. So downloaded the APP ... of course couldn't manage to do that in the carpark so went into the office on WiFi and then came back later. It took more than a minute to SYNC with the socket and open the flap (the counter went 1% ... 2% ... so definitely "painful"), then after plugging in it wouldn't do the next step on the APP to start the charge. And I couldn't retrieve my cable either. Phoned up and got the "We're only open 9-to-5" announcement ... used the car's browser to find an emergency number ... that went to Vodaphone voicemail ... but in fairness they called me back after only a few minutes. Took him quite a long time to figure out which (of two) pods I was plugged into - absolutely no identifying numbers on either of them, it had taken me quite a while, by process of elimination and moving the car from first Pod to second, to work it out too because they were separate choices in their APP. He was, of course, keen not to disrupt any other charging EV. So he kicked off the charge for me, but said it would be likely that I wouldn't be able to disconnect using the APP (because the charge was started by Support, not the APP).

And so it proved to be the case some 14 hours later ... another 5 minutes or so on the phone getting that done, and by that time there was a Leaf charging at the other Pod so Support did need to be careful which one they disconnected.

All in all I guess I spent 20 minutes of "education and hanging about", could have got properly charged in that time alone at a Supercharger :cool:

Final point: the salesman's pitch, on my first call, was that the subscription service was cheaper because there was a one-pound-something fee PER CHARGE to use the APP, which he said worked out expensive. He sounded a bit crestfallen when I answered his question "How long are you likely to charge" with "Probably 24 to 28 hours" which rather upset his per-charge-fee profit-model :rolleyes:

Anyways, enough of all that guff ... suggestions on a Type-2 supplier would be appreciated, thanks.

The Tesla supplied one comes highly recommended by those that know about these things, so that's what I bought. Excellent quality and was £172 when I got mine a couple of months ago.

I've used it once at Gatwick south and had far more value from the free car parking than the free leccy I had.