Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which updates would you pay for?

What software updates would you pay for presuming fair pricing?

• .5s faster acceleration for $2K

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • 1.0s faster acceleration

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • New arcade game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New streaming channel (e.g., Hulu, Disney, ESPN)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Heated rear seats

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Functioning fog lights

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Auto parking that works

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Advanced summon

• Auto-adjust cruise speed relative to speed limit

• Faster supercharing rate

• Streaming audio

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Car Karaoke

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Reeler

Decade of Pure EV Driving
Oct 14, 2015
Denver, CO
Now that Tesla is monetizing software updates, what would you pay for? In your comments maybe say how much you would pay.

I think Tesla is moving to a model of selling one configuration of car with all the upgrades available for in-app purchase.

you forgot the null set: None of the Above.

I expect Tesla will nickel and dime most of us into paying for stuff. In a weak moment, I bought FSD only to have Tesla cut the price in half a couple weeks later. There must be something you would pay for?

Android Auto / Carplay would be worth $500 to me. I would pay $250 for a heated steering wheel. Auto-wipers that work would be an easy $100. Flame thrower option would be worth $1000.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Now that Tesla is monetizing software updates, what would you pay for? In your comments maybe say how much you would pay.

I think Tesla is moving to a model of selling one configuration of car with all the upgrades available for in-app purchase.

Tesla is not monetizing software updates. That is very misleading because it might make people think that you now have to pay for each regular OTA software update which is not the case. The Acceleration Boost is like FSD. It's an after delivery option that you can purchase.

Tesla is not monetizing software updates. That is very misleading because it might make people think that you now have to pay for each regular OTA software update which is not the case. The Acceleration Boost is like FSD. It's an after delivery option that you can purchase.

Tesla has added this purchase capability to the phone app. My Model S received acceleration updates for free several times. Heated seats and enhanced nav capability will surely show up in the app's store. They wouldn't have added the app capability without a larger monetization scheme.

I bet all the features and improvements they come up will be similarly priced so we might buy things a la carte. Why do that for free? Fanbois are begging to have Tesla take their money.

Why do you think that Tesla is "Now doing this"? Look back at the Model S and X, there have been a number of speed increases that have been paid for already.

Reactions: APotatoGod
If they had added track mode along with yesterday's -0.378 sec + 50 HP improvements, they would have gotten my money.

Speed isn't a priority cause I don't need American muscle as much as I need driveability mods.

Reactions: Reeler
Why do you think that Tesla is "Now doing this"? Look back at the Model S and X, there have been a number of speed increases that have been paid for already.

After a car was delivered, software speed increases were never charged for before and certainly not in the App. My Model S was uncorked and received several acceleration increases all for free over the years. I think it started at 5.5s 0-60 and ended up 4.4s, but I could have that wrong and didn't really care.

1. .5s faster acceleration for $2K (Nope, my car is fast enough)
  2. 1.0s faster acceleration (See 1.)
  3. New arcade game (Nope, never use the games)
  4. New streaming channel (e.g., Hulu, Disney, ESPN) (Nope, got Netflix and Hulu but rarely use it)
  5. Heated rear seats (I paid for it by having the premium package)
  6. Functioning fog lights (Why would I pay for a safety feature?)
  7. Auto parking that works (I can park the car myself)
  8. Advanced summon (I got this but haven't tried it, it's faster if I just walk to my car)
  9. Auto-adjust cruise speed relative to speed limit (Wouldn't that come with EAP?)
  10. Faster supercharging rate (for the 2 road trips I was perfectly fine with the speed of charge)
  11. Streaming audio (got that I suppose with the premium package and yes, I signed up for premium connection)
  12. Car Karaoke (I don't want to hear myself sing)

Auto-adjust cruise speed relative to speed limit (Wouldn't that come with EAP?)

On my commute to the burbs in Denver, the speed limit changes 5 times on I-25 and EAP (or FSD) never adjusts. It sets for 9 mph over when I first engage then never changes that limit as the speed limits change. It is very annoy to find myself excessively speeding or going too slow. I would pay $300 for that feature.

Adding front motor to my LR RWD to make it AWD.

I wonder if the economics could work to build each Model 3 exactly the same with dual motors and large battery, but allow software unlock later for a premium. Maybe allow it for a short period like on a ski trip, etc. Tesla could unlock all features upon trade in or lease ending so they might eventually make their money back. For third-party resale, it would be hard to compete with Tesla's used inventory having all options.

Maybe when more of the cars are made in China, it would provide the margin to support this model. There is cost to supporting build and sales of different configurations.

• Informative
Reactions: SunCharged
I bought all of them

48121ED8-BF3A-4BA2-B0CE-AC9348B2D707.png

Reactions: Reeler
I expect Tesla will nickel and dime most of us into paying for stuff. In a weak moment, I bought FSD only to have Tesla cut the price in half a couple weeks later. There must be something you would pay for?

Android Auto / Carplay would be worth $500 to me. I would pay $250 for a heated steering wheel. Auto-wipers that work would be an easy $100. Flame thrower option would be worth $1000.

What, no ejection seat? :cool:

Sure, I'd pay extra for mudflats. I'd pay a premium for 18" sport wheels. (Or I would've if they were an option.)

CarPlay, perhaps, but as I understand it, CarPlay takes over teh NAV, so not technically possible without a massive code rewrite.

I'd also pay more for greater sound deadening, i.e., a quieter cabin at highway speeds. (IMO that should already be included in the PUP package.)

I'd pay extra to swap out my Gen 1 seats for Gen 2. (model 3)