Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which USB port on the 2021 is Data?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Searching google for the current model 3 manual, I get:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

The relevant section to your question is on page 21 & 22. I have copied and pasted the text from that page below, which seems to pretty clearly answer the question.
===================================

USB Ports

Model 3 has two USB ports located in the front compartment of the center console.

These ports can be used to: • Connect and charge USB devices. • Play audio files stored on a phone or USB device (see Playing Media from Devices on page 135). • Save videos when using features such as Sentry Mode or Dashcam (see Security Settings on page 141). The left port is USB-C compatible whereas the right port is USB-A (on vehicles manufactured before approximately June, 2020, both ports are USB-A).

Two additional USB ports are located in the rear of the center console (on vehicles manufactured since approximately June 2020, these ports are USB-C). These ports charge USB-connected devices but do not communicate with the vehicle.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

The relevant section to your question is on page 21 & 22. I have copied and pasted the text from that page below, which seems to pretty clearly answer the question.

USB Ports

Model 3 has two USB ports located in the front compartment of the center console.

These ports can be used to: • Connect and charge USB devices. • Play audio files stored on a phone or USB device (see Playing Media from Devices on page 135). • Save videos when using features such as Sentry Mode or Dashcam (see Security Settings on page 141). The left port is USB-C compatible whereas the right port is USB-A (on vehicles manufactured before approximately June, 2020, both ports are USB-A).

Two additional USB ports are located in the rear of the center console (on vehicles manufactured since approximately June 2020, these ports are USB-C). These ports charge USB-connected devices but do not communicate with the vehicle.

I did read that but that does not apply to the 2021. I only see 1 USB port in the front and that is in the glove compartment.

The 2021 only has 1 USB port in the front that I can find and it is located in the glove compartment. It comes occupies with a USB Thumb drive from factory for the camera recordings. No other USB ports own the front from what I can tell.

It does have 2 USB-C ports in the back but I do not think those are for DATA but for charging.

I have a 2021 M3 LR, there are two USB C ports on the back wall of the front console compartment (the one with the sliding cover). Both take data, I have my music collection on a flash drive working from one of them.

HTH...
THANKS. Don't know how I missed those. I guess I was expecting them to come from the front not the back and since they are USB-C they are kinda stealthy. Glad to know they are both data ports. Will add an SSD with music in the location as well.

I have a 2021 M3 LR, there are two USB C ports on the back wall of the front console compartment (the one with the sliding cover). Both take data, I have my music collection on a flash drive working from one of them.

HTH...

I didnt think they removed those ports so I was pretty confused. I knew they changed them but I didnt think they completely removed them.

THANKS. Don't know how I missed those. I guess I was expecting them to come from the front not the back and since they are USB-C they are kinda stealthy. Glad to know they are both data ports. Will add an SSD with music in the location as well.

They are easily missed - and not in the best really. I have really small SanDisk flash drives but USB C to USB A impedance matched adaptor needed means they stick out from the back wall by just over an inch, so risk getting knocked about when putting into/out of the compartment. Don't know why they just put all the ports in glovebox and out of harms way...

They are easily missed - and not in the best really. I have really small SanDisk flash drives but USB C to USB A impedance matched adaptor needed means they stick out from the back wall by just over an inch, so risk getting knocked about when putting into/out of the compartment. Don't know why they just put all the ports in glovebox and out of harms way...

On the 2018, many people use those USB ports to install wireless charging. 2020+ comes with wireless charging (presumably using those USB ports, but I dont have that model year).

That would be one reason why "they dont just put them all in the glove compartment".

On the 2018, many people use those USB ports to install wireless charging. 2020+ comes with wireless charging (presumably using those USB ports, but I dont have that model year).

That would be one reason why "they dont just put them all in the glove compartment".
But the 2021 model has the wireless bays pre-installed, hence the comment. Also these ports on the earlier models are located at the front of the compartment and away from being knocked about when accessing the compartment...

But the 2021 model has the wireless bays pre-installed, hence the comment. Also these ports on the earlier models are located at the front of the compartment and away from being knocked about when accessing the compartment...
I have model 3 2021 and yes have iPhone for wireless charging. However also have iPad Pro with Lightening port. Trying to get the best hub or adapter for charging it. Any ideas please let me know.

I have model 3 2021 and yes have iPhone for wireless charging. However also have iPad Pro with Lightening port. Trying to get the best hub or adapter for charging it. Any ideas please let me know.
I'm no apple expert, but you can readily get usb-c to lightening cables for charging purposes via any of the usual online outlets.

I'm no apple expert, but you can readily get usb-c to lightening cables for charging purposes via any of the usual online outlets.
Yes I can. However looking for hub mainly if more connections are needed. I probably will go that route for now but thinking ahead. I don’t see Jeda option available for dual usb-c. They mention in PDF doc. Supposed to be early April release.

Are you using your car as a data center? I guess I don't get why you would need more than what is there. I have only tested them out as streaming inputs and haven't otherwise used them. And as I expected the streaming did not work

USB Ports

These center console ports dont work for data on my 2021 model 3. I have tried various formatting scenarios and USB devices. I can only get music files loaded via the USB-A in the glovebox. Does anyone have any clues?

I dont have a 2021 so I dont know. I am not even sure which ones support data in 2021s currently (that manual quote was from april, and there have been several software revisions since then). Have you checked the tesla model 3 manual in your account to see what the current manual says about what ports are data?

Assuming that is true, you might have an issue with your USB ports.

I have hundreds of albums stored as FLAC files on a Bluesound Vault 2i which is on my home network. Music files are approaching 170 GB. PC is on Windows 10. I edit the metadata with Foobar as necessary. Since PC has only USB-A, I bought a Samsung 256 GB Duo Plus flash drive. It has both USB A and C connectors. Plugged the flash drive’s USB-A connector into my PC, Copied all the music from the Vault to the flash drive (File Explorer) and plugged its C connector into the USB-C port at the back of the front storage compartment of the center console. When from the Media Player options I select USB as the source and my music, sorted by artist, song title, or album appears. And the Premium audio on the Model 3 LR is wonderful! The USB stick projecting from the rear wall of the storage compartment requires some care in using the compartment.