Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #27 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed: Consolidation in LiDAR manufacturers; Volvo EX90 shipping with LiDAR; FSD Beta Full Release in N.A.; FSD detecting autopilot cheats, Gwen Shotwell directly overseeing SpaceX Starship; and more. You can watch it now on YouTube. We should have it published to podcast networks shortly.

which used model S with regular steering wheel to buy?

hello all,

I bought a model 3 SR+ as my Tesla back in dec 2019. At the time, I did not want to spend too much money on my first EV as I am not sure how it will fit my driving habit. But now I find myself driving model 3 on hwy alot so looking for a more grand tour feel like car. So I am looking into trading in for a used model S. I cannot stand the yoke steering so will have to go with older version. So my question is.. which used model S with regular steering wheel to buy?

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
hello all,

I bought a model 3 SR+ as my Tesla back in dec 2019. At the time, I did not want to spend too much money on my first EV as I am not sure how it will fit my driving habit. But now I find myself driving model 3 on hwy alot so looking for a more grand tour feel like car. So I am looking into trading in for a used model S. I cannot stand the yoke steering so will have to go with older version. So my question is.. which used model S with regular steering wheel to buy?
The real answer is none.

Buy the Refresh and put a regular round wheel on it. The Legacy Model S is really showing its age.

Edit: I just noticed the budget consideration. Go with a M3 or MY.

Reactions: coolmanfever
I loved my CPO 2016 S75D, especially after I upgraded the MCU. As much as there are features of my 22 M3LR that are big improvements, I’d probably still take the S75D over the M3, primarily for the trunk and the much better noise abatement (and higher quality interior materials that mine came with). I’d look for the lowest mileage MS Long Range you can find and afford.

Reactions: coolmanfever

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
I have a Sept. 2020 LR+ Raven that I love. Glad I bought when I did because the yoke is not for me.
But... if you really don't like the yoke you can replace it so quickly. That would not be a reason to go with a pre-refresh over the refresh. Even if I absolutely hated the yoke with a wild passion, I'd still buy the car and replace it. As it is, I don't much care for the yoke, but I know I can replace it easily if it ever becomes a real problem (it won't).

But... if you really don't like the yoke you can replace it so quickly...

But why, when you can just buy a slightly earlier model that has everything you want?

I, personally, think that having no controls on the stalk is even worse than the yoke, but OP already made it clear they don't want a yoke, so no need to hijack the thread.

Reactions: JimmyB

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
But why, when you can just buy a slightly earlier model that has everything you want?

I, personally, think that having no controls on the stalk is even worse than the yoke, but OP already made it clear they don't want a yoke, so no need to hijack the thread.
I mean don't let me get into all the reasons buying a pre-refresh now is madness...

Reactions: glide
I have a Sept. 2020 LR+ Raven that I love. Glad I bought when I did because the yoke is not for me.

Same :D

I mean don't let me get into all the reasons buying a pre-refresh now is madness...

Unfortunately not everyone is willing or able to spend approx $100k on a refresh car - myself, OP and many many others inculuded. But to say it's "madness" to buy something a couple of years older? I respectfully disagree.

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
Same :D

Unfortunately not everyone is willing or able to spend approx $100k on a refresh car - myself, OP and many many others inculuded. But to say it's "madness" to buy something a couple of years older? I respectfully disagree.
Would you spend $600 on a 4 year old iPhone Pro when a new one costs $1000?

I wouldn’t…I would just buy the new baseline model. Same concept.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC