Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which version Model S are you buying?

Which version are you leaning toward?

• Performance Signature

Votes: 22 17.5%
  • Standard Signature

Votes: 15 11.9%
  • Performance 85kWh

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Standard 85kWh

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • Standard 60kWh

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • Standard 40kWh

Votes: 15 11.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you, VolkerP. I am very very happy. I will, for the first time, have a car I am completely non-allergic to, straight from the factory. The quality of life benefits from that are worth a lot!

(That's assuming the seat stuffing is foam rubber / latex rather than polyester.)

I know that this poll isn't really statistically significant, but so far, the results seem to back up Elon's hypothesis that a small percentage of Model S configurations will be the 40kWh model. If he were dead wrong, I think we might have seen that by now. My confidence in their ability to get 25% margins on the Model S has been boosted.

I know that this poll isn't really statistically significant, but so far, the results seem to back up Elon's hypothesis that a small percentage of Model S configurations will be the 40kWh model. If he were dead wrong, I think we might have seen that by now.

Where our little unscientific sample sharply diverges from Elon's prediction is in the split between the 300kWh and the 230kWh batteries, running roughly 7:2, rather than the 1:2 predicted.

Of course, this is a BB filled with fanboys (and a few fangirls), so I'm sure that our sample is sharply skewed!

I know that this poll isn't really statistically significant, but so far, the results seem to back up Elon's hypothesis that a small percentage of Model S configurations will be the 40kWh model. If he were dead wrong, I think we might have seen that by now. My confidence in their ability to get 25% margins on the Model S has been boosted.

Do you think there was always some cynicism behind even offering the 40 kWh pack?

"Oh, we have a sub-$50k[SUP]*[/SUP] electric supercar! ([SUP]*[/SUP]fineprint: after fed tax credit)"

If that were the case, it's pretty much as cynical as Aston Martin offering the cygnet (to meet Euro emissions rules)...

I want to give the benefit of doubt to Tesla here, but, it almost feels as if the Model S is simply "too much car" for 40kWh/160 miles. You can justifiably equate a Nissan-Leaf/Mitsubishi-i's commuter car looks/size/feel with their range but, the same cannot be said of the Model S in my opinion.

I think we have a somewhat skewed sample eh? By default, about 15% of all Model S reservation holders are getting Signature edition (counting 1000 out of about 7000 total), but this poll shows it at 28%...

Do you think there was always some cynicism behind even offering the 40 kWh pack?

"Oh, we have a sub-$50k[SUP]*[/SUP] electric supercar! ([SUP]*[/SUP]fineprint: after fed tax credit)"

If that were the case, it's pretty much as cynical as Aston Martin offering the cygnet (to meet Euro emissions rules)...

I want to give the benefit of doubt to Tesla here, but, it almost feels as if the Model S is simply "too much car" for 40kWh/160 miles. You can justifiably equate a Nissan-Leaf/Mitsubishi-i's commuter car looks/size/feel with their range but, the same cannot be said of the Model S in my opinion.
I don't agree that Tesla offered the 40kWh just as a way to have an offering at a particular price point. Every other BEV has a smaller pack, so presumably there is a significant market looking for a great car with 100+ mile range.

What this experiment is showing is that there is an even more significant market (in the premium segment) for 200+ or 300+ mile range.

Where our little unscientific sample sharply diverges from Elon's prediction is in the split between the 300kWh and the 230kWh batteries, running roughly 7:2, rather than the 1:2 predicted.

Of course, this is a BB filled with fanboys (and a few fangirls), so I'm sure that our sample is sharply skewed!

I was originally going to get the 230 mi. -- it's the right size for me -- but I got the Signature.

The "early adopter" bias, which we *know* we have here, is probably driving a fair amount of the bias towards the 300 mi. in this poll. If the Signatures and the first models out had been 160s, we'd probably see far more 160 mi. votes....

This poll is going to be horribly off compared to later adopters. Plus, it's heavily skewed by the Sig answers and there aren't going to be any Sigs ever again after the first couple months.
True enough, but I wonder: suppose the Sig came standard with the 60kWh pack, and the 85kWh pack was an optional upgrade for $10k. What fraction of Sig buyers would not buy the larger pack?

I think the important questions (probably OT) are
- Is the 40 kWh model making a profit / breaking even for Tesla
- Can Tesla sell enough S's just in the 60/85 to meet their target. It is not the first 10k that are most difficult to sell - it is the next 10k.

If the answers are No & Yes, it makes immense sense to make the 40 kWh unattractive. If the answers are Yes & No, they need to push 40kWh model. If the answers are No & No, we have a problem.

Last edited:
I think the important questions (probably OT) are
- Is the 40 kWh model making a profit / breaking even for Tesla
- Can Tesla sell enough S's just in the 60/85 to meet their target. It is not the first 10k that are most difficult to sell - it is the next 10k.

If the answers are No & Yes, it makes immense sense to make the 40 kWh unattractive. If the answers are Yes & No, they need to push 40kWh model. If the answers are No & No, we have a problem.

As a shareholder, I sincerely hope that the answers are Yes & Yes! It's a matter of degree; the margin on the 40kWh battery vehicles is probably low, ~15%; the margin on the options is higher. So the question boils down to whether enough people are buying enough options to yield the 25% margin that Tesla shopped to the street. By my investment in Tesla, I've revealed my belief that the answer is "yes." I'm delighted if most investors feel otherwise for awhile, as their unbelief just creates more buying opportunities like the excursion below $26.50 this week.

I think that the 40 kWh car is a great deal. If I were not getting the Model X, I would get the 40 kWh.

With that said I think that the 40kWh is a "Bluestar-in-waiting." Meaning they wanted to deliver a car that was not entirely out of reach for their diehard fans who happen to be part of the 99%. So if you were really fired up about an Electric Vehicle but you didn't make north of $100,000+ per year, you could still stretch really hard and maybe make it.

Stated another way, if you have $40,000 for a Volt or a Focus PHEV then borrow the $10K and upgrade to the Model S.

Once BlueStar is released the 40 kWh Model S will disappear - I am confident of that.