Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which wheel configuration setting should I choose for my new setup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 MYP and a long, steep gravel driveway.

Unplugged Performance "Dirt and Snow Coilovers" are lifting the vehicle approx 3.5" from stock in the rear, and I think 1" or so up in front.

Wheel Specs: 18x9.5" ET34 + 15mm spacers all around (required to clear the upper spindle in front, aesthetics only in back)

Tires: Toyo Open Country 255/55/18 (front), 265/65/18 (back)

Little rub up front at full tire lock, but other than that, all is well.

My question is... Which software wheel config should I pick? I've got it on 19" Gemini for now.

Attachments

• IMG_20211214_170614.jpg
    IMG_20211214_170614.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_20211214_170733.jpg
    IMG_20211214_170733.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20211214_170658.jpg
    IMG_20211214_170658.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 208
Reactions: DOOLMTR
The Tesla Model Y OE 19" and OE 20" tires are both 28" in outer diameter (OD). The OE 21" front tires (255/35R-21) are also 28"; the OE 21" rear tires 275/35R-21 are 28.6" OD. The Toyo front tires: 255/55R-18 are 29" OD and the Toyo rear 265/65R-18 tires are 31.6" OD.

If the Tesla Model Y is using the tire rotations per minute from the front wheels for the speedometer readout then the Tesla 21" setting would be closest, within 3.6% of the OD of the Toyo front tires. The speedometer readout would be lower than the actual speed by approximately 3.6%.

If the Tesla Model Y uses the tire rotations per minute from the rear wheels then the OE 21" rear tires: 275/35R-21 OD 28.6" are 10.5% smaller than the Toyo rear tires: 265/65R-18 at 31.6" OD. The speedometer readout would be lower than the actual speed by approximately 10.5%

Try the 21" wheel size setting.

Tire Size Comparison

Last edited:
Reactions: TheeUnderdog
2019 MYP and a long, steep gravel driveway.

Unplugged Performance "Dirt and Snow Coilovers" are lifting the vehicle approx 3.5" from stock in the rear, and I think 1" or so up in front.

Wheel Specs: 18x9.5" ET34 + 15mm spacers all around (required to clear the upper spindle in front, aesthetics only in back)

Tires: Toyo Open Country 255/55/18 (front), 265/65/18 (back)

Little rub up front at full tire lock, but other than that, all is well.

My question is... Which software wheel config should I pick? I've got it on 19" Gemini for now.
For range estimates I would select the largest wheel shown on the config selector.

I run a larger than normal wheelset myself on our P3D and our true (GPS) speed shows 4% over displayed — None of the preconfigured settings fixes that IMHO.

Also, having different OD tires front and rear is likely to cause traction control system intervention... with the OE MYP wheel and tire package there is only 0.6" difference in diameter front to back and selecting the OE package lets the car know there are larger OD tires in the back... with your setup it is 2.6" difference in diameter front to back.

For low speed driving where the front motor is not engaged this might not be a problem... but if you like to drive hard (hard enough acceleration to engage the front motor) I think it will be an issue.

Keith

Many thanks for the math lesson jcanoe! I was all hung up on wheel size, not overall diameter. I'll try the 21" setting. I haven't used my Dragy or a GPS to see the actual speedo offset but I'll try to figure out front vs. rear 🤔

As for traction control, interestingly enough, I got a series of interventions the first time I drove it (over 40 mph) but ... corrected itself after just a few min. Been a couple weeks now, various driving conditions including hard launches and highway speeds and I haven't had the warning again (fingers crossed).

Trust me, I was unhappy for about 10 minutes when it kept kicking me out of autopilot. Just tried fsd beta yesterday and that also seems to work fine.

Next observation is range effect. Gonna be interesting!

• Informative
Reactions: Fourdoor
Wheel size set back on 21 ubertine. FSD Beta enabled. That seems to be fine, no issues. I haven't checked actual vs displayed speed yet. Range seems affected marginally. We took a 1200 mile road trip over the holidays and averaged a 10% loss on efficiency. I thought we'd balance out better because of the lighter wheels, but those tires are probably the issue 😍

So... LOTS of squeaks and pings from the front suspension at low turning speeds. More so on the left than the right but Def an issue on both sides. The squeak is coming from the front coils. Also generally noisier/clunkier on rough bumps, but much smoother "feeling" than the stock setup. I attribute most of that to those luxurious sidewalls. I'm currently in an email thread with UP but no answers yet. I went to a local alignment shop and they did an alignment, but the squeaks remain. Then we drove 1200 miles to see if it would settle in. Squeeks remain. Brought back to local shop to double check and grease the suspension, but they were unable to get rid of the noises. Also for some reason, when the suspension was installed, I started getting the rear wheel hub clicking noise. We greased the axle splines and that's mostly gone away. Not sure if the new suspension angles exacerbated something there or not.

So far I'm not that happy but I'll keep updating. My assumption is that the squeek, pings, and clunks will be figured out.

We got about 3. 5inches lift on the back, but I'd like to adjust up more. The rear suspension requires disassembly to adjust height though so a bit of a pain. The front is a ton of elbow grease to adjust but just requires wheels off.

The dampening is adjustable by hand.

Any advice welcome (besides go back to stock 😂)

Wheel size set back on 21 ubertine. FSD Beta enabled. That seems to be fine, no issues. I haven't checked actual vs displayed speed yet. Range seems affected marginally. We took a 1200 mile road trip over the holidays and averaged a 10% loss on efficiency. I thought we'd balance out better because of the lighter wheels, but those tires are probably the issue 😍

So... LOTS of squeaks and pings from the front suspension at low turning speeds. More so on the left than the right but Def an issue on both sides. The squeak is coming from the front coils. Also generally noisier/clunkier on rough bumps, but much smoother "feeling" than the stock setup. I attribute most of that to those luxurious sidewalls. I'm currently in an email thread with UP but no answers yet. I went to a local alignment shop and they did an alignment, but the squeaks remain. Then we drove 1200 miles to see if it would settle in. Squeeks remain. Brought back to local shop to double check and grease the suspension, but they were unable to get rid of the noises. Also for some reason, when the suspension was installed, I started getting the rear wheel hub clicking noise. We greased the axle splines and that's mostly gone away. Not sure if the new suspension angles exacerbated something there or not.

So far I'm not that happy but I'll keep updating. My assumption is that the squeek, pings, and clunks will be figured out.

We got about 3. 5inches lift on the back, but I'd like to adjust up more. The rear suspension requires disassembly to adjust height though so a bit of a pain. The front is a ton of elbow grease to adjust but just requires wheels off.

The dampening is adjustable by hand.

Any advice welcome (besides go back to stock 😂)

No real advice other than don't go back to stock, keep at it until you have all the problems solved... we need the information you are providing :)

Thanks for the update,

Keith