Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which will be the bigger EV disrupter, Cybertruck or EV Mustang

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the early reviews on the all electric Mustang sound really interesting and it appears this vehicle could be will be a game changer (especially since the $7500 tax credit will apply). The Tesla pickup truck however also seems to be a game changer in the EV space so the question is, which vehicle impacts the EV marketplace more?

The Ford Mach-E competes with the Model Y, and both occupy a large and hot segment of the North American automobile market (the mid-sized CUV). However the Ford is a me-too product, and slightly inferior to the Model Y.

We won't know until Thursday evening of the importance of the Tesla CyberTruck, but it is likely to be very substantial and probably as important as the Model 3.

On balance, the CyberTruck.

So the early reviews on the all electric Mustang sound really interesting and it appears this vehicle could be will be a game changer (especially since the $7500 tax credit will apply). The Tesla pickup truck however also seems to be a game changer in the EV space so the question is, which vehicle impacts the EV marketplace more?

Game changer for Ford, maybe. Game changer for EVs overall? Definitely not.

The costs are too high and the expected production rates too low for this vehicle to make any meaningful impact. It is, at best, an attempt to copy Tesla, but many years later.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I don't know, seems that many people that are in the Mustang marketplace aren't really likely to buy a Tesla even if the performance of EV's has been shown to be excellent (superior?). I do think those same people might consider buying an all electric Mustang because it is built and sold by Ford - a name they know and trust. On the other hand I'm not sure that many traditional truck buyers will be drawn to a Tesla pickup especially if it looks too outlandish in appearance. I do have no doubt however that there will be many Tesla people that will buy the Tesla pickup.

I'd say it depends on what you mean by "disrupter". If you mean sales, probably the Mustang - some reasons given by others above, and Musk has said more than once that Cybertruck quantities might not be that high. (Maybe he doesn't mind because they need so many batteries).

But if you mean, how it affects what the whole industry does going forward...well, we still have to wait for the Cybertruck reveal to be sure. But I think - and hope - it's the Cybertruck.

I created a thread four years ago about how the market is responding to Tesla and EVs; some recent thoughts about the Mach-E are HERE.

The Mach-E is, only thanks to the $7500 credit, marginally competitive with the Model Y (though the Y will come to market months ahead of it) on range, performance, and price.

That's not really a game changer. It's a "almost caught up to someone in the same game but without a national charging network"

And they needed a battery nearly 25% larger to do it because they're so far behind on efficiency, and (as far as anyone can tell so far) even further behind on driving aids.

Plus If it actually catches on enough to burn through the tax credit they'll be in real trouble if they suddenly can't find a way to pull a lot of cost out of the thing.

All that said it's certainly nice to see another major car company finally offer a credibly decent car instead of a crap compliance vehicle....and it brings a few things to the table that I hope will actually get Tesla to make some long-overdue improvements to their own offerings as far as some in-car features and such.

The pickup, we won't know if that's a genuine game changer until the reveal (at least)- if it's a "radical" as Elon suggests it might not make enough impact on the markets it really needs to to be a game changer like, say, a traditional F-150 in EV form could.

I don't know, seems that many people that are in the Mustang marketplace aren't really likely to buy a Tesla even if the performance of EV's has been shown to be excellent (superior?). I do think those same people might consider buying an all electric Mustang because it is built and sold by Ford - a name they know and trust. .

It's not an EV mustang though- it's an EV mid-sized SUV with a few mustang styling cues

Tesla will beat the Ford in battery and motor technology and the functionality of the driver interface. The Ford will have better chassis quality, superior paint, less wind noise, plus a few niceties like a heated steering wheel and cooled seats. I will certainly cross shop the Mach E against the Model Y. The tax credit and the willingness of Ford dealers to discount product might make the Mach E a better value....especially if Tesla can’t improve its service model.

I will have to see what the Tesla truck is like to answer. I can see the Tesla truck being a huge hit or a huge flop. If the Tesla truck is something that competes with the F150 it will have the larger impact.

The Ford Mach E will sell all Ford will build. I'm hoping they plan on building a lot of them, I can see it outselling the Tesla Model 3 if Ford is able/willing to make that many. If Ford is really pushing it and making them in numbers it will have a huge impact on the EV market.

Though as Knightshade pointed out, Ford's new EV is really an SUV like the Model Y, it is being marketed as a Mustang. That point however brings up another interesting comparison, which will sell more the Model Y or the EV Mustang? Not sure if the Mustang can have third row seating (just for kids).

I will have to see what the Tesla truck is like to answer. I can see the Tesla truck being a huge hit or a huge flop. If the Tesla truck is something that competes with the F150 it will have the larger impact.

The Ford Mach E will sell all Ford will build. I'm hoping they plan on building a lot of them, I can see it outselling the Tesla Model 3 if Ford is able/willing to make that many. If Ford is really pushing it and making them in numbers it will have a huge impact on the EV market.

Ford has already stated that the first year's production is expected to be limited to 50,000 between both North America and Europe due to battery supply constraints.

Ford has already stated that the first year's production is expected to be limited to 50,000 between both North America and Europe due to battery supply constraints.

Where'd you see that? I'd been looking for any details on expected production #s but hadn't found them

EDIT- never mind- just seeing the 50k number in stories out this morning... thanks for giving me the cue to check though :)

So first year production will be a little less than Tesla sells of the Model 3 in two months.

Also the Taycan just announced a delay of 2-3 months on first deliveries.

What was that again bout how legacy automakers have 100+ years of experience and won't have the ramp up issues Tesla did?

Last edited:
And CyberTruck is a "bbbbllllleaaaahhhhkkk"

Cybertruck

a
Yes the Cyber truck is really ugly IMHO though it does have impressive specifications. Tesla should sell many worldwide but I'll guess mostly to non truck owners and Tesla types. I don't think Tesla will be stealing many current truck owners and that's where the big market is. I'll bet the big three auto makers must be breathing a sigh of relief this morning. This morning In the executive meeting rooms of those big three truck makers there will be lots of joking about that butt ugly Cyber truck and the silly reveal. I doubt the current truck segment will be impacted to any great extent by the Tesla truck unless the exterior design is improved before production starts.

The Ford is the result of coping Tesla designs and then making some pretty impressive style improvements. You can’t fault them for copying something that people like and then applying their sizable design teams to it. The Tesla truck unfortunately looks like Tesla took their EV drivetrain and then had a high school shop class lay some stainless steel sheets over it. I’m not convinced it wasn’t some big prank and they are yet to reveal the real truck but as time goes by it seems like they might have just given up on the truck idea because they will be too busy building 3’s and Y’s.