TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Which will be the first to deliver one unit, Apple Watch or Tesla Model X?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by CmdrThor, Sep 9, 2014.

?

Which will be the first to deliver?

1. Apple Watch

74.3%
  2. Tesla Model X

25.7%
  1. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

Each with "Early 2015" expected delivery dates, which do you think will be the first to deliver?

2. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

Already ordered the Moto360 so please let it be the Model X to come out first.

3. flashflood

flashflood Member

What I really want is the watch's sapphire coating on my MC Red.

4. Nubo

Nubo Test Mule

I want the Apple Watch with the 60kWh battery :)

5. mrdoubleb

mrdoubleb Active Member

Wrong question. The correct one is:

Which one will last through a 300 mile trip with one charge? :tongue:

6. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Apple is great at meeting publicly announced release dates. Tesla utterly sucks at the same thing.

7. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

Meeting the announced release date is one thing... getting product into the hands of people is another. The iPhone 5S launch was completely botched, with product shortages lasting weeks. By the looks of things, the iPhone 6/6+ pre-order event was an IT disaster last night (again).

I expect the watch to be released first. However, I expect that Model X buyers to be much more happy with their purchase.

8. wart

wart Member

So who's planning on camping out at their local Tesla store the night before the Model X goes on sale? ;)

9. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

LOL, with all the pre-orders, Model X will be much more difficult to obtain than iPhone 6+ on launch day!

10. Barry

Barry Member

Hope so. The 2 year anniversary of my deposit is coming up very soon.

11. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

Looks like the Apple Watch is winning this one. Oh well, I'll be happy when I eventually have both my Apple Watch and my Model X ...

12. timf

timf Member

This poll was doomed as soon as Model X slipped from Q2 to Q3.

13. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Think the real question is which one will you own first. Easy answer for me: Model X.

I think wearables are just a fad. People buy them (Nike Fuel band, FitBit etc.), use them religiously for a couple of months. And then the devices just start gathering dust in the corner. And even if there was the perfect device, the question remains about how much data we really need.

My iPhone can be buried in my purse or left at home and ignored. I don't want to be forced to wear a smart watch only because it's the only way to access my house|car|thermostat|whatever.

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/the-future-of-wearable-tech/

14. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I agree with Bonnie. I too will have a Model-X before an Apple Watch. The current version of the Apple Watch may be a fad (along with the fitbit like devices), but wearables in general are not a fad. I wear a Basis Peak watch everyday (since Jan 2014) to monitor my vitals, and track how well I sleep. On occasion, I glance at it to see who is calling or check the latest calendar/Email notification. After a few years worth of data collection, trends should develop and I should be able to extract useful/tangible information. The Basis Peak is the first serious wearable and there will be better models to come in the future that will show people the true value of this segment.

Otherwise, until the battery life of the Apple Watch is extended to 2-3 days, I don't consider it a serious wearable (and wouldn't consider purchasing it). It would be comparable to saying that a Nissan Leaf is a serious EV (no offence to the Nissan Leaf).

15. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I for one am looking forward to getting my Apple Watch which I ordered 15 minutes after online sales started but may not get until June. Once again Apple greatly underestimated product demand.

Won't be getting an X, too big for me, but glad to see the strong demand for the car.

16. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

You're an exception. A large number of people cast their wearable aside at some point. Forget to charge, don't want to wear it in a specific social situation, etc. And obviously it has to do with long-term value (something you're experiencing). But (imo) too many manufacturers are deciding that they need to offer a wearable, without thinking about 'what is the best solution for this problem'. It might be a wearable, it might be a passive sensor that sits near the bedside requiring nothing of the user.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/01/wearables-consumers-abandoning-devices-galaxy-gear

17. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Nobody forces me to wear my current watch, but I put it on every day. I can't imagine why I won't do the same with my Apple watch.

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'll have you know I'm less than a month away from a 1 year streak with my Fuelband.

Harumph.

19. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

#19 vandacca, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    I think we are saying the same thing Bonnie. There isn't a wearable out today (with the exception of the Basis Watch) that meets the minimal criteria for being a useful device. Therefore, very few consumers actually use them beyond a few months.

I also agree that manufacturers are all jumping on the band wagon (probably mostly due to fear of Apple dominating the field) without giving any thought of how such a wearable should be used.

I do think that Apple has a very interesting device (and potential), its just that the battery life is much too short and its lacking some refinements, similar to how most of their first-generation products are under-developed. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd generation Apple watch might be worth something.

Model-X

20. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

I've used my Fitbit One every day since August 2013 with the exception of vacations that involved wearing a swimsuit and getting wet. My wife has been using hers for since 2011 (she is on her second Fitbit). The device does exactly what I need it to do which is track my steps, floors climbed, and estimate my calories burned. I use the app extensively when trying to lose weight and have been very successful when doing so.

However since Fitbit has decided to not integrate with the Apple HealthKit, I am looking forward to the Apple Watch to track my activity, give me a simple interface to the common things I look at my phone to do, and open up new interesting uses of a smart watch.