Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which will be the first to deliver one unit, Apple Watch or Tesla Model X?

Which will be the first to deliver?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking forward to my iWatch to retire my pebble. Albeit the pebble has been sitting around not getting used much lately cause its owner hasn't been logging his jogging due to lack of said jogging. I'll surely get more onboard with that with the iWatch. Yea, famous last words.

Bonnie, it would seem that the users on this forum are not indicative of an average American! We must all be geeks or something. :confused:

I recognize the type. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'll have you know I'm less than a month away from a 1 year streak with my Fuelband.

Harumph.

I can totally visualize you harumphing away.

- - - Updated - - -

One of my pet peeves are products that collect data for the sake of collecting data. As a society, I feel like we're getting out of touch with just living our lives. Not everything needs to be measured for the sake of measuring. I'm the one in meetings saying, "But where will you USE that data? What decision is that data needed to support? WHY ARE WE MEASURING THAT???". Because y'know ... too much data. :)

That said, I also am well aware of studies (because I've helped design some), where people modified their behavior for the good when health was being monitored daily. We're all competitive at heart & if the data is driving better behavior, even if only to *beat* your scores from the day before, then that's a good thing.

But things like Google Glass deserved to die. :) Jury (my personal totally judgmental jury) is still out on the AppleWatch. Will it do anything that can't already be done with my iPhone? So far, I don't see it. But I've been wrong before (you guys even got me to name my car and get a vanity plate, after I declared that would never happen :) ).

A former boss who always had the latest and greatest Apple product before anyone else told me he was cooler than me because of it. I pointed out to him that cool people don't need props. Mayhap a career limiting move, but he did laugh. And didn't brag about his Apple stuff anymore.

...Jury (my personal totally judgmental jury) is still out on the AppleWatch. Will it do anything that can't already be done with my iPhone? So far, I don't see it. But I've been wrong before (you guys even got me to name my car and get a vanity plate, after I declared that would never happen :) ). ...
My favorite features of the pebble that I think the iWatch will improve upon:

• Phone rings and I want to take the call. I sprint for the phone (usually charging or lying around someone else) cause I saw who it was on my wrist.
  • About to misplace my phone (leaving it somewhere), my phone buzzes to remind me I left it behind if I walk to far away from it. My life is in that thing, you think I wouldn't leave it, but it has happened and saved me a long drive back to recover it a few times. Even one time it would have been locked in a building for a weekend that I don't have after-hours access to.
  • jogging and someone interrupts my speed trial (yea right!). Pausing runkeeper and/music without looking or hauling out the phone and tripping over a stump. Getting rid of Madonna song that still on my playlist, priceless. :)

I'm with Bonnie on this, I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't last and most people will give up wearing it within 6 months.

Seems to me that the Apple Watch is just a mini screen that you use as a remote control to avoid taking your phone out of your pocket; with built in range anxiety because the battery won't last a day, so be prepared to carry the charger around with you. Also note that there's no headphone jack so all your calls will be public unless you start wearing one of those BT earpieces also? Something else to carry around. And don't forget your BT headphones if you want to listen to music on there. I suspect there'll be quite a few folks disappointed with this gadget.

Model X on the other hand will have all the same functionality but much better battery life and a lot more fun. I suspect there'll be very few folks, if any, disappointed with this one.

My favorite features of the pebble that I think the iWatch will improve upon:

• Phone rings and I want to take the call. I sprint for the phone (usually charging or lying around someone else) cause I saw who it was on my wrist.
Or call them back.

• About to misplace my phone (leaving it somewhere), my phone buzzes to remind me I left it behind if I walk to far away from it. My life is in that thing, you think I wouldn't leave it, but it has happened and saved me a long drive back to recover it a few times. Even one time it would have been locked in a building for a weekend that I don't have after-hours access to.
But now there are TWO things you might need to drive back to get. You take off your watch because swimming or whatever ... and forget it.

• jogging and someone interrupts my speed trial (yea right!). Pausing runkeeper and/music without looking or hauling out the phone and tripping over a stump. Getting rid of Madonna song that still on my playlist, priceless. :)

Okay, you got me with the 'getting rid of Madonna' reason. You win.

Jury (my personal totally judgmental jury) is still out on the AppleWatch. Will it do anything that can't already be done with my iPhone? So far, I don't see it. But I've been wrong before (you guys even got me to name my car and get a vanity plate, after I declared that would never happen :) ).

A former boss who always had the latest and greatest Apple product before anyone else told me he was cooler than me because of it. I pointed out to him that cool people don't need props. Mayhap a career limiting move, but he did laugh. And didn't brag about his Apple stuff anymore.

OK--I freely admit that I am a card-carrying geek (even before the term was invented). And, yes, I have an Apple Watch arriving tomorrow. I'm not getting it for the fitness/monitoring features, but rather as a time savings tool and a tool to reduce social interference caused by my iPhone. Specifically, I probably take my iPhone out 50 times a day for some task (call, text, e-mail). If I can glance at my wrist and ignore/dismiss something more discreetly, then I'll be happy. And, yes, I stuck with the Sport version, since there is no guarantee of an easy upgrade path for what is an object of high technology, which will be obsolete soon and replaced by the newer Watch v.2 in a year or less.

OK--I freely admit that I am a card-carrying geek (even before the term was invented). And, yes, I have an Apple Watch arriving tomorrow. I'm not getting it for the fitness/monitoring features, but rather as a time savings tool and a tool to reduce social interference caused by my iPhone. Specifically, I probably take my iPhone out 50 times a day for some task (call, text, e-mail). If I can glance at my wrist and ignore/dismiss something more discreetly, then I'll be happy.

I wonder if looking at your watch while in a conversation with someone, will still carry the same subtle message that you're bored and ready to leave?

I wonder if looking at your watch while in a conversation with someone, will still carry the same subtle message that you're bored and ready to leave?
Depends on your age. Younger people are used to their peers doing that with their smartphones and they take no offense. The Apple Watch will be treated the same.

BTW I'm 61. My Apple Watch will be shipped to me in a few weeks.

Macrumors.com posted an article today stating that some customers with Apple Watch pre-orders are receiving email from Apple advising them of possible delivery date of up to May 8th. The forum over there has blown up with infuriated people expressing anger that their watch may not arrive tomorrow.

Maybe there is still hope for the Model X.....?

I wore my Fitbit continuously for years and will do the same with my Apple watch. I ordered the cheapest watch because I plan to upgrade it with V2 which will likely have decent battery life and other important improvements.
I also plan to get a MX -- eventually.
Technology is great.

Technology is great.

I don't think anyone is saying tech isn't great. But I'm avoiding technology for the sake of technology. And until I figure out what problem I had that the AppleWatch is solving for me, there won't be one on my wrist.

When I first went to work for a Fortune 100 company, I was out of coverage for about a week (backpacking on horseback in the Colorado mountains - what a wonderful trip!). You should have seen my face when my phone started loading all the emails I'd been sent. It's no exaggeration to say that on average, I received over 400 emails a day - worst day was over 800. Technology wasn't so great at that moment. In fact, it was the worst thing ever. I was ready to go back into the mountains.

Sometimes it's nice not to be tethered.

(In full disclosure, I removed a watch about ten years ago during a retreat - and quit worrying so much about time. So it's a bit of a 'OMG NOT A WATCH NEVER AGAIN A WATCH' reaction on my part.)

Bonnie, I can relate to your aversion to wearing a watch after not having worn one for years. I haven't worn a watch for at least 20 years. But after reading about the Apple Watch, watching videos of what it does, and getting an in-store demo on my wrist, I'm convinced I will find it useful for many reasons which I won't elaborate on here. I bought the lowest cost model. I'll let you know...

Bonnie, I can relate to your aversion to wearing a watch after not having worn one for years. I haven't worn a watch for at least 20 years. But after reading about the Apple Watch, watching videos of what it does, and getting an in-store demo on my wrist, I'm convinced I will find it useful for many reasons which I won't elaborate on here. I bought the lowest cost model. I'll let you know...

Ditto. I haven't worn a watch since the 90s. I didn't need to get an in-store demo though. I knew that replacing my Fitbit and keeping me from having to find my phone for messages would be enough value for me. If I ever want to be untethered, I can just take off the watch.

I see a very big contradiction in the posts from Apple Watch fans. If this watch is soo great, why do you take it off every night (to charge it)? Wouldn't you want to wear it to bed and track your sleep too? I'd like to see the bed-side table with all your devices that need to be charged. With so many devices to charge daily, this is when wireless charging would come in handy.

Just a couple of questions to ponder about...

I have a theory that a personal watch takes time (yes, only a few seconds, but it still takes an effort) to put on every morning. Much more than just slipping a phone into a pocket or purse. Therefore, the utility of the watch has to be significant or else people will begin to forego this morning ritual after they determine that the watch isn't absolutely necessary in their daily lives. Of course there will be many who will find the watch extremely useful (most of the people in this forum) and they will continue to use the Apple Watch daily. However, if my theory is correct, the majority of people (who are not in this forum) will abandon the Apple Watch after a few months.

Now, if the Apple Watch had a longer battery (say 3 days), then most people would just leave it on most of the time and it would be more "sticky" and people would wear it and use it more often. I think Apple knows this and has purposely been conservative with the number of watches they have manufactured (leading to shortages and long wait times). This shortage will also help Apple marketing to spin their Watch as a huge success.

A little bit about me...I'm totally fascinated by technology and human interaction. I'm constantly trying to determine where technology is going and I make these predictions to determine if I have understood that interface. And I am a fan of Apple, owning 2 MacPros, 2 Macbook Pros, iMac, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV and 2 Shuffles (and thats not including the other 2 Macbook Airs, iPhones, iPod touches, iPads that the rest of my family has). But I try hard not to foolishly waste my money on big purchases and I spend months researching new tech before making that commitment. I put a deposit on a Model S on March 9, 2011 and a deposit on a Model X on February 13, 2012.

Apple is tying their watch to health, so you can obsessively track your numbers. Fine; it's just that I don't foresee that a watch is going to tell me what I really want to track, which is blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, and liver enzymes.

I'm with Bonnie on this, I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't last and most people will give up wearing it within 6 months.

Seems to me that the Apple Watch is just a mini screen that you use as a remote control to avoid taking your phone out of your pocket; with built in range anxiety because the battery won't last a day, so be prepared to carry the charger around with you. Also note that there's no headphone jack so all your calls will be public unless you start wearing one of those BT earpieces also? Something else to carry around. And don't forget your BT headphones if you want to listen to music on there. I suspect there'll be quite a few folks disappointed with this gadget.

Model X on the other hand will have all the same functionality but much better battery life and a lot more fun. I suspect there'll be very few folks, if any, disappointed with this one.

I still don't get the giving up wearing it in six months. I can see that with a fitbit or whatever, but this is a watch. Whether it's worth the extra price or not, I've worn a watch every day for decades, so why would I stop just because it's an Apple watch?

However, I must admit I don't understand people that are happy to haul their phones out of their pocket just to check the time. Imagine, a device that lets you see what time it is without having to get your phone out of your pocket!

Last edited:
I still don't get the giving up wearing it in six months. I can see that with a fitbit or whatever, but this is a watch. Whether it's worth the extra price or not, I've worn a watch every day for decades, so why would I stop just because it's an Apple watch?

Gregincal, the big difference between your old watch and the Apple watch is in how many times you'll need to take it off. Do you currently remove your watch every evening? The fact is that most people had given up on watches, since it only did 1 thing. They have to carry a phone anyway, and it has a clock, so no need to carry around another device. The next generation have grown up without watches, but I'm sure Apple will change that in the next 3-6 years.