Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which will be the first to deliver one unit, Apple Watch or Tesla Model X?

Which will be the first to deliver?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gregincal, the big difference between your old watch and the Apple watch is in how many times you'll need to take it off. Do you currently remove your watch every evening? The fact is that most people had given up on watches, since it only did 1 thing. They have to carry a phone anyway, and it has a clock, so no need to carry around another device. The next generation have grown up without watches, but I'm sure Apple will change that in the next 3-6 years.

Of course I take my watch off every evening. It goes on my nightstand and it goes back on after a morning shower. The only difference with the Apple watch is that you have to magnetically attach the charger. Having said all that, I'm not getting a gen 1 as the price is steep and I'd then want to upgrade.

My Fitbit tracks heart rate during exercise without the need for a chest strap. Granted it's not quite as accurate but it's a whole lot more convenient. It's the only reason I have one.

Gregincal, the big difference between your old watch and the Apple watch is in how many times you'll need to take it off. Do you currently remove your watch every evening? The fact is that most people had given up on watches, since it only did 1 thing. They have to carry a phone anyway, and it has a clock, so no need to carry around another device. The next generation have grown up without watches, but I'm sure Apple will change that in the next 3-6 years.

I certainly don't sleep with my watch on. Every night I take it off and place it on my bedside table. The extra effort to attach it to the charger seems minimal. I agree the Apple watch doesn't do much that the phone can't do, the advantage is not taking the phone out of your pocket. As I say, if you're already willing to take the phone out just to check the time then who knows, but personally I would hate that and I look forward to not having to haul it out if I get a calendar notification or text either.

My phone lives in my purse. I rarely actually hear the thing when I get a text or a call. I hate having to dig around for it, and it usually takes me so long to find it I miss the call anyhow. And when it's not in my purse, it's usually somewhere in the house where I don't remember putting it (kitchen? bedroom? family room? I dunno. Don't remember.) Needless to say, I'm excited about my Apple Watch (which was delivered today, yay!) because now I will not be running around like a crazy person trying to find my phone, and hopefully less likely to miss phone calls from my husband, school, work, etc. When I had a Fitbit, I found it uncomfortable to sleep in, so I took it off nightly (and I only got rid of the Fitbit to make room for the Apple Watch... I used it religiously for well over a year). I also take the rest of my jewelry off every night - rings, earrings, bracelets -- everything. So it's absolutely no big deal to add an Apple Watch to the mix. So for me, the Apple Watch takes the place of my phone and Fitbit, and blends nicely into my other accessories.

I agree the Apple watch doesn't do much that the phone can't do, the advantage is not taking the phone out of your pocket.

I get that, I just haven't figured out why the phones are getting bigger and bigger and the next thing is to replace that nice big screen with a tiny little one?

- - - Updated - - -

My phone lives in my purse. I rarely actually hear the thing when I get a text or a call. I hate having to dig around for it, and it usually takes me so long to find it I miss the call anyhow. And when it's not in my purse, it's usually somewhere in the house where I don't remember putting it (kitchen? bedroom? family room? I dunno. Don't remember.) Needless to say, I'm excited about my Apple Watch (which was delivered today, yay!) because now I will not be running around like a crazy person trying to find my phone....

But all your calls will be broadcast in public as you'll effectively be on speaker phone wherever you are. BT won't reach far inside a house, but I guess it can connect over WiFi?

However, I must admit I don't understand people that are happy to haul their phones out of their pocket just to check the time. Imagine, a device that lets you see what time it is without having to get your phone out of your pocket!

If people were bothered by taking a phone out of their pocket to check the time, then they'd already be wearing a watch. Like you. But if you look around, most people stopped wearing a watch with the advent of mobile phones. And never put the watch back on.

If people were bothered by taking a phone out of their pocket to check the time, then they'd already be wearing a watch. Like you. But if you look around, most people stopped wearing a watch with the advent of mobile phones. And never put the watch back on.

are you serious? in CA most people do not wear watches? wow! I hardly ever see a person without a watch......... but I do live in watch federation as well! :)

My wife's (Mother's Day present from me) Apple Watch arrived today (shh, don't tell her). Her Model X did not.

Interestingly, the original date for the watch delivery was "June". Three days ago that changed. Here's hoping the X is only a few days away as well!

But all your calls will be broadcast in public as you'll effectively be on speaker phone wherever you are. BT won't reach far inside a house, but I guess it can connect over WiFi?

I want to say that bluetooth range is about 100 meters. That's more than enough range to get around in an average house (at least around here!) and in my workplace. I'm not planning on having lengthy heart-to-heart phone convos with my BFF in the middle of a restaurant on my Apple Watch - that would just be unnecessary. But if I'm out and about, and I get a phone call, I will have the ability to screen that call and determine whether or not I need to take the call. And if it's an important call which would have the potential to be lengthy, I can tap a button on the Apple Watch which will put the call on hold until I can grab my phone.

The Apple Watch can connect to your phone via Bluetooth or over WiFi if both are in range of the same WiFi network, which they would be at home typically.

I think the Bluetooth range is only about 30 ft or so. It certainly is not 100 meters less there had been a revolution with that technology recently that I missed.

The Watch can slow connect to a Bluetooth headset if you want to use it for calls and have some privacy.

I like the idea of glancing at the Watch to see who is calling and answer if I want to or let it go to voicemail, and to see a text and then dictate a reply easily or use a stored reply or just an emoji that I an customize.

So for me, the Apple Watch takes the place of my phone and Fitbit, and blends nicely into my other accessories.
Yes. I don't like the reported 18 hour battery life but I will live with it to gain the other benefits. I left my Fitbit One on the plane Wednesday so I am anxious for the watch to arrive.

My phone is either in my purse or docked. Either way, I hate having to retrieve it for texts and such.

Bonnie your article is interesting but it does not say that watches are no longer on our arms........ 4.9% drop between 200-2005 does not reduce our usage by more than 50% now....... IMHO........ :) But I do get your point so we can leave this track now.......

It also points out that most of the decline in sales is in low end watches. Expensive watches are still selling well. I've actually taken notice recently and I still see plenty of people wearing watches (although certainly a minority).

So if someone is buying a Patek Philippe as a status symbol or fashion statement or just to add to their collection ... you guys are saying that group will swap over to an Apple Watch?

I've got no skin in this game. It's more of thing of each of you that is buying one, enjoy. I'm sure you'll use it because you're more of a tech person than most. But I continue to question the overall market for wearables. Time :) will tell.

So if someone is buying a Patek Philippe as a status symbol or fashion statement or just to add to their collection ... you guys are saying that group will swap over to an Apple Watch?

I agree that few people will buy an Apple Watch for use as a status symbol.

Apple Watch is currently a sluggish device with dubious utility, based on the reviews I've read. In 2 years or less it will be an obsolete piece of junk, replaced by a new model. This is more akin to throwaway "fast fashion" than a timeless accessory.

There are expensive versions of the Apple Watch, but buying the $17,000 model brings no extra utility. It has the same electronics inside as the $350 model, and the same battery.

I don't know whether Apple Watch as a product line will ultimately succeed or not, but I'm not convinced yet.

When the Apple Watch LTE comes out next year maybe Apple will have refined the idea more.