Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Winter/Snow Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've switched to Michelin CrossClimates for the bizarre mix of driving we do here in California winters: 65 degrees at low elevations but FEET of snow in the mountains. All-seasons but rated for severe winter duty. Not true winter tires, but they scored high marks on TireRack for wet, dry, and snow.

Given climate changes, coastal Connecticut winters probably aren't consistently snowy/icy anymore, either?

I've switched to Michelin CrossClimates for the bizarre mix of driving we do here in California winters: 65 degrees at low elevations but FEET of snow in the mountains. All-seasons but rated for severe winter duty. Not true winter tires, but they scored high marks on TireRack for wet, dry, and snow.

Given climate changes, coastal Connecticut winters probably aren't consistently snowy/icy anymore, either?

Northeast winters are usually pretty much a gamble. Some years we have consistent nor'easters coming up the coast, others winter is cold and rainy with no snow.

I live in NJ but we love to go skiiing in Vermont and even Canada. Before the Model Y we used to chance it with my Camry with all seasons or get a rental. However now I am looking into winter tires as well.

I just need to find a tire shop thats willing to work with Tesla and TSportlines.

If it helps we live in serious snow country and have used X-ice in the past. For our M3 we bought the Tesla 18" package with second generation Sottozero tires and they were great - comparable to the X-ice for traction. For our MY we ordered the TSportline package with third generation Sottozero. Would prefer OEM for the range efficiency but no idea if they will be available and the packages seem to sell out a lot. Also, Tesla won't ship to home, meaning a 7-8 hour round trip to go get them at a service center.

Do most of you get snows with dedicated rims/tires? I haven't done so in a long time and just get the snows mounted and balanced on the one set of rims. Tire place stores my tires for me. I seem to keep vehicle about 2 to 3 years so seems like the cost to do so has made more sense at a couple of hundred $ a season for the two visits. Same TPMS sensors, etc. Also - anyone roll with Blizzak's? Seems like the ones to fit the Induction 20" wheels though are $500 per tire - yikes. They are run flat tires though so maybe that's good?

Do most of you get snows with dedicated rims/tires? I haven't done so in a long time and just get the snows mounted and balanced on the one set of rims. Tire place stores my tires for me. I seem to keep vehicle about 2 to 3 years so seems like the cost to do so has made more sense at a couple of hundred $ a season for the two visits. Same TPMS sensors, etc. Also - anyone roll with Blizzak's? Seems like the ones to fit the Induction 20" wheels though are $500 per tire - yikes. They are run flat tires though so maybe that's good?
I have the 21" summer tires and don't want winter tires that size, so I went for new rims. Got 19" ones, complete with tires and TPMS sensors.