Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which winter tires are you biying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As it happens, I have a set of Michelin X-Ice 245/45R19 bought at the Oakville Service Centre last year and installed by them complete with Tesla issue TPMS. Rims are 4 years old with some curb rash but still look very good. I'm trading my S85 in a 3LR later this month so they are available if anyone is looking to avoid paying $2K or more for new tires and rims. PM me for more info. Burlington area.

Currently have a deposit on a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS-90s & Replika R187. Haven't got them yet so don't know how they perform. I know another Model 3 owner that has said the X-Ice aren't that great for snow and performs best in ice or wet conditions.

I bought a set of Replika R241s 18s for summers, and a set of General Arctic Altimax 12s and put them on the Aeros.

Bought the R241s primarily because of their weight being close to the Aeros at 21.2lbs per wheel.

Nice. I wanted the R241's that match the original specs but they were out of stock. Didn't realize it was that much lighter being larger wheel and same manufacturer. Wish I got the R241's.

• Funny
Reactions: Char
I'm getting a set of Fast FC04s in Metallic Black with some Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s. Gonna have them mount the stock MXM4s onto the FC04s and the R3s onto the stock Aeros. Weather is starting to dip close to the single digits here in the Halton area. Joined the Group Buy over on RFD.

I use a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3.

This is going to depend on your local conditions and driving habits. I am of the opinion that you should get winter tires suited to the worst conditions you will potentially need to drive in, not the average conditions.

The Pirelli Sottozero is a performance winter. This is good on dry and wet pavement, and barely acceptable in snow and ice. It stands up better to hard driving, thus "performance", but is actually a poor performer for true winter conditions.

The Hakkapeliitta R3 is a classic winter tire. It's good for winter conditions, but expect sub-par performance on dry and warm surfaces, as well as increased noise. I think the additional control in the nasty stuff is worth the noise, and I'm not going around a race track with winter tires.

The Michelin X-Ice series is also a classic winter tire, but in my opinion performance closer to a performance winter tire. It's somewhere in between the Pirelli and Hakkapeliitta offering in my opinion.

Historical context:

Model 3: Hakkapeliitta R3. Yeah, they're somewhat noisy and don't have great performance on dry roads. TBD how they do this winter.

Honda Crosstour: Used both Hakkapeliitta and some Michelin X-Ice variant. The X-Ices honestly were terrible in snow, meh on ice, fine in the rain. The Hakkapeliittas have been great in snow, good on ice, and fine in the rain.

Honda Fit: Used both Hakkapeliitta and some Toyo Observe something. Both were great.

Smart fortwo: Toyo somethings. Were good.

Mazda 626: Blizzaks. These were reasonably good.

Currently have a deposit on a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS-90s & Replika R187. Haven't got them yet so don't know how they perform. I know another Model 3 owner that has said the X-Ice aren't that great for snow and performs best in ice or wet conditions.
There’s some controversy about whether the WS90 is sufficient in terms of load rating. If you go with 45 psi that’s above the rated max pressure per tire of the WS90 in the 18” size. Ironically they do make XL WS90, just not in the size the Tesla requires...

I use a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3.

This is going to depend on your local conditions and driving habits. I am of the opinion that you should get winter tires suited to the worst conditions you will potentially need to drive in, not the average conditions.

The Pirelli Sottozero is a performance winter. This is good on dry and wet pavement, and barely acceptable in snow and ice. It stands up better to hard driving, thus "performance", but is actually a poor performer for true winter conditions.

The Hakkapeliitta R3 is a classic winter tire. It's good for winter conditions, but expect sub-par performance on dry and warm surfaces, as well as increased noise. I think the additional control in the nasty stuff is worth the noise, and I'm not going around a race track with winter tires.

The Michelin X-Ice series is also a classic winter tire, but in my opinion performance closer to a performance winter tire. It's somewhere in between the Pirelli and Hakkapeliitta offering in my opinion.

Historical context:

Model 3: Hakkapeliitta R3. Yeah, they're somewhat noisy and don't have great performance on dry roads. TBD how they do this winter.

Honda Crosstour: Used both Hakkapeliitta and some Michelin X-Ice variant. The X-Ices honestly were terrible in snow, meh on ice, fine in the rain. The Hakkapeliittas have been great in snow, good on ice, and fine in the rain.

Honda Fit: Used both Hakkapeliitta and some Toyo Observe something. Both were great.

Smart fortwo: Toyo somethings. Were good.

Mazda 626: Blizzaks. These were reasonably good.

Do the x-ice come i. 19s? Having a hard time finding them for M3 19” spec

Nice. I wanted the R241's that match the original specs but they were out of stock. Didn't realize it was that much lighter being larger wheel and same manufacturer. Wish I got the R241's.
I bought a set of Replika R241s 18s for summers, and a set of General Arctic Altimax 12s and put them on the Aeros.

Bought the R241s primarily because of their weight being close to the Aeros at 21.2lbs per wheel.

can you post pictures of your 241’s?

There’s some controversy about whether the WS90 is sufficient in terms of load rating. If you go with 45 psi that’s above the rated max pressure per tire of the WS90 in the 18” size. Ironically they do make XL WS90, just not in the size the Tesla requires...
Yep, only reason why I am not considering the Blizzaks, I had WS80s and LOVED them.

Are XL Load Tires Mandatory? (Blizzak WS-90 vs. X-Ice Xi3)

Attachments

• IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    388.9 KB · Views: 144
interesting... tell me more, I'm not too familiar with this

Also just another follow up, I was double checking with the manual. The Pirelli's have 42 PSI in the owners' manual and there's ranges of 39 - 45 PSI so is not hitting the upper limit that detrimental to the car? I understand it can impact range but other than that what am I sacrificing?

Also just another follow up, I was double checking with the manual. The Pirelli's have 42 PSI in the owners' manual and there's ranges of 39 - 45 PSI so is not hitting the upper limit that detrimental to the car? I understand it can impact range but other than that what am I sacrificing?

Lower pressure leads to increased heat generation via more flexing, which isn't great for the tire over time. Critical under-inflation can result in wearing the sides of the tire more than the center. Related and additionally, the risk of blowouts and pinch flats is increased.

High pressures give a stiff ride. Critical over-inflation can result in wearing the center of the tread more than the outside. Operating above the designed pressure can also be detrimental to the tire overall because it wasn't designed to handle that force load footprint.

It's not necessarily detrimental to the car. It may be detrimental to you and those driving around you, as well as the usable life of the rubber.

• Informative
Reactions: dan2nes and HAHAyes