Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which winter tires are you biying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also just another follow up, I was double checking with the manual. The Pirelli's have 42 PSI in the owners' manual and there's ranges of 39 - 45 PSI so is not hitting the upper limit that detrimental to the car? I understand it can impact range but other than that what am I sacrificing?

@camalaio did a good job describing it above.

it really comes down to your preferences. I really wanted the WS90s as well, and ordered them, only to realize after the fact that the sidewall has max 44psi stamped into it. I know there is a safety factor and all that built in to the tire, but running at, or near the limit, of the tire design was too much risk for me. So I exchanged for a set of X-Ice. I had them (XIce) on my previous car and they were good enough in most situations and actually more quiet than the all seasons I used for the rest of the year. Good treadwear on them as well.

Not so big of a deal since it sounds like you’re mounting the tires on the rims off of the car, but some tire shops won’t mount the tires/rims on the car if the load rating doesn’t at least meet the original equipment tire. Again, moot point if you’re doing this yourself.

You could probably use them and have no issues. Tesla themselves claim you can run the PSI way down to 35 if you want more comfort. So I dunno... I’m gonna read the link @N.Y.R. posted above just for my own curiosity too.

Reactions: Biscuitman
@camalaio did a good job describing it above.

it really comes down to your preferences. I really wanted the WS90s as well, and ordered them, only to realize after the fact that the sidewall has max 44psi stamped into it. I know there is a safety factor and all that built in to the tire, but running at, or near the limit, of the tire design was too much risk for me. So I exchanged for a set of X-Ice. I had them (XIce) on my previous car and they were good enough in most situations and actually more quiet than the all seasons I used for the rest of the year. Good treadwear on them as well.

Not so big of a deal since it sounds like you’re mounting the tires on the rims off of the car, but some tire shops won’t mount the tires/rims on the car if the load rating doesn’t at least meet the original equipment tire. Again, moot point if you’re doing this yourself.

You could probably use them and have no issues. Tesla themselves claim you can run the PSI way down to 35 if you want more comfort. So I dunno... I’m gonna read the link @N.Y.R. posted above just for my own curiosity too.
Thank you for this! and you to as well @camalaio. That makes sense I actually got a separate set of rims for them (Replika R187's) so hopefully it works out but I've still got a bit of time to change my mind with a bit more research.

i bought myself some yoko ig53's. i have a set of xice3 on my subaru, but i hate them so much. i dont feel like they grip at all. before i had yoko ig52 on my subaru and those were amazing. thus decided to get them for the model3. im gonna mount them on the existing wheels and get another set of wheels for the summer tires. i was about to get wheels for winter, but im like "naahhh"

BC07E8B5-0C5E-47CD-A02F-5C5B37005D8D.jpeg 0EEFD4FC-15C1-4199-BE3F-C0765A16490D.jpeg

Here are some pix for the r241s

Reactions: shellderp
Just to chirp in, just ordered a full set of Nokian WR G4's for Model X with 20" wheels (from Frisby Tire). Getting installed next week and plan on running these all year round.
Located in Ottawa where we have it all during the winter. I have used the previous generation of these tires on a Murano years ago and they were fantastic year round.

Reactions: Muskol
Located in Montreal, just got a fresh set of 235/45/R18 Michelin X-Ice itres mounted on my Aero wheels.
I have the 3 RWD Standard Range Plus, will chime in at the end of the season to share how a RWD car with these tires did below -30degC.

I'm hoping to have a fun and positive experience this winter as the car already feels quite good in a slight slide in the rain.
I've driven a Mazda RX-8 (which has a very well balanced chassis too) in the winter and it was not great, in part since there wasn't much weight over the rear wheels.
The lower CG and weight of the electric motor between the two rear wheels and more advanced stability control should provide a more enjoyable drive, I hope.

Nonetheless, I'm used to the under-steery slides of a FWD Honda and excited to feel more oversteer bias this winter :)
We have a '17 Civic Hatchback with the same tires (although on 16in wheels), therefore I'll have a clear idea on FWD Gas vs RWD electric in the winter.

• Love
Reactions: Char
Am I going crazy or does Canadian Tire have the X-Ice Xi3 that fit the Tesla listed twice and one link is cheaper?

$237/tire - Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Tire | Canadian Tire

$267/tire - Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Tire | Canadian Tire

Only difference is the first link states :
Size: 235/45R18 XL
Product #208-5626-0

Where as the more expensive one says:
Size: 235/45R18/XL 98H
Product #108-2723-4

The thing is, the first link is also 98 Load Index, they have to be if they are XL??? I ordered the cheaper one, let's see what happens. Any thoughts?

Am I going crazy or does Canadian Tire have the X-Ice Xi3 that fit the Tesla listed twice and one link is cheaper?

$237/tire - Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Tire | Canadian Tire

$267/tire - Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Tire | Canadian Tire

Only difference is the first link states :
Size: 235/45R18 XL
Product #208-5626-0

Where as the more expensive one says:
Size: 235/45R18/XL 98H
Product #108-2723-4

The thing is, the first link is also 98 Load Index, they have to be if they are XL??? I ordered the cheaper one, let's see what happens. Any thoughts?

Interestingly, only the more expensive one seems to be in stock anywhere within 500km of me. They also show the same review. It's possible they have some small difference (like how there's a "Tesla" spec of OEM tires with the noise insulating foam). No idea.

Interestingly, only the more expensive one seems to be in stock anywhere within 500km of me. They also show the same review. It's possible they have some small difference (like how there's a "Tesla" spec of OEM tires with the noise insulating foam). No idea.
You can ship tires to any store for free, mine didn’t have stock either but they are sending them, says I should have them by Wednesday.

Just to chirp in, just ordered a full set of Nokian WR G4's for Model X with 20" wheels (from Frisby Tire). Getting installed next week and plan on running these all year round.
Located in Ottawa where we have it all during the winter. I have used the previous generation of these tires on a Murano years ago and they were fantastic year round.
WRs are awesome. No need for seasonal swaps! Had mine on the 3 for a year now.

Previously had a set for a Ford Escape.

Happy repeat customer.

Reactions: Muskol

this is what I’m doing too, have the G4’s on order at Kal Tire for install next week. I had the G3’s and they impressed me.

expensive though, about 1400 quid to have them installed. Ho Lee Schit

• Funny
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Just installed a winter tire package from 1010tires.com. Michelin X-Ice Xi3 on Replika R241 with ITM TPMS sensors. I had though about putting the winter tires on the factor rims and using the R241 for summer tires, but with our long winters, the winter tires are often on the car more than the summer tires.

Also made some lug nut caps with a 3D printer.
Tesla lug nut cap for aero wheels by ellioal

IMG_1252_small.jpg
IMG_1254_small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided go try out the Viking 7 and my first impression driving on snow and ice after yesterday ( Calgary ) is extremely positive. The car felt great and not one slip on during my commute to work and back. The viking 7 is also a lot quieter and the sidewall is much stiffer than the WS80 on my previous xDrive car,

• Informative
Reactions: Biscuitman
Went with the Tesla OEM 18" Aero rims and Pirelli Sottozero winter tire package, mainly due to following reason:
1. I really like the aero rims and the ability to have the option to put on aero covers
2. I read somewhere that the tires tesla use are slightly different from the standard ones that most other tire retailers sell, being a bit flatter and have sound dampening?

Gonna have it installed this saturday at lawrence service center, hopefully it works well.

I decided to go with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 for winter. I am using my original aero wheels and covers and will put my all seasons onto the Replika R187 for the summer. Installing at Spence Tire in Scarborough.

Since I have an Sr plus, I figure whatever extra range aeros can get would be most useful in winter due to the additional range loss from the cold.

Reactions: Jffurlan
I decided go try out the Viking 7 and my first impression driving on snow and ice after yesterday ( Calgary ) is extremely positive. The car felt great and not one slip on during my commute to work and back. The viking 7 is also a lot quieter and the sidewall is much stiffer than the WS80 on my previous xDrive car,

I'm thinking about getting the Viking 7 since the Blizzaks are not available with the right load index... My only concern is that the only version I was able to find for the Viking were speed rated "T" which is 4 levels below what Tesla recommends.

Did you went with that speed rating? Thanks!

I bought the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV tyres for my 3. 235/50, so slightly taller. Running on 18s.
They're amazingly good, but are a little noisy on dry pavement until about 70 km/h.
Did this affect the odometer at all? It seems as though blizzak has a ws90 at 235 /50 I am considering rated at 100 load. How’s the handling with the higher side wall? I’m sure it’s tie specific but still interested. Thanks!