Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which winter tires are you biying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. I had Tesla inspect it and more. Eventually Senior Engineering got involved and no solution worked. Ended up with the suggestion to switch my tires.

Regen would attempt to kick in and the green bar would go up and instantly back down to nothing. They think it has something to do with the traction detecting the slightest amount of slip. The manual says the car is supposed to learn and calibrate after a short amount of driving (like it did once I put the R3's on), but it never did.

Very happy with the R3's but a little sad I couldn't make the 9's with studs work.

I used both Hakka 9 studded and R3’s last winter without a problem with regen. Not sure why your car had the problem.

When i got my winter set installed at the service center last weekend, the technician actually recommended NOT using the aero covers cuz apparently snow tends to get stuck inside. Anyone has experience running aero covers in the snow?

Had a rental for a month with Aero covers on from JAN to FEB 2019. No issues; and those were the heaviest snow weeks for last winter.

Went with the Tesla OEM 18" Aero rims and Pirelli Sottozero winter tire package, mainly due to following reason:
1. I really like the aero rims and the ability to have the option to put on aero covers
2. I read somewhere that the tires tesla use are slightly different from the standard ones that most other tire retailers sell, being a bit flatter and have sound dampening?

Gonna have it installed this saturday at lawrence service center, hopefully it works well.

Those should be fine for most conditions minus really heavy snow/ice. It a California winter tire :rolleyes:

I tried the studded 9's but I lost all regen and it never came back over 600 KMs... went back to Kal-Tire and got the R3's. Within 20 minutes the car started driving normally again.

Just put the Hakka9 studded on , no problem with regen works as before

Yes it is slightly less agressive but I have been driving EV’s for 8 yrs and that is normal with all snow tires, not to mention it is cold this morning

My guess is you had a defective tire, maybe out of round who knows.

I am sure you will be happy with the R3’s regardless.

This is an update now that I have had the new tires for a few weeks. I went with Nokian WR-G4 staggered 20" setup for the MX. These are an All Weather tire (not all season) and so are rated for full winter conditions and for summer driving as well.

The weather has been everywhere from 18C to -10C. We have had a lot of rain and last night we got 10 cm of snow.
Thoughts/observations so far:
Noise: Increase from the OEM tires: slight but not bothersome
Regen: Works perfect after the car adjusted. Took a few days I think where there was limited high speed regen as expected.
Rain: I drove through some very heavy rain with lots of standing water at speed and there was no issues at all. great cornering and no hydro planing.
Snow: I went out today after snow storm for a city commute. Back streets were not yet plowed. Secondary streets had been plowed and salted but were slush filled. Main arterial roads were lowed, salted and wet but more or less clear. The car handled everything as if it was dry roads. A bit of anti-lock brake action when I stomped on the brakes to test but otherwise nothing. Results: Boring! No fun at all. Could not swing the back end around in corners at all.

Just in case someone does not get the sarcasm, the point is that the tires and the car handle amazingly in the snow. Especially on the slick secondary roads where other vehicles were fish-tailing all over the place, the MX was solid and planted on its feet.

All in all I highly recommend these tires for the Model X. More expensive but well worth the peace of mind and I don't have to swap them out in the spring.
Nokian-Tyres-WRG4-Half.png

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I ended up getting the Pirelli Ice zero fr for $1100+tax and a $50 rebate. They have been great in the first snowstorm we had yesterday. Grip in snow and slush has been great. I haven’t really noticed much extra noise and efficiency has been good too (I logged a 30km highway trip at 170wh/km in -4C weather). They come in the exact factory size and rated for 50psi.

I'm thinking about getting the Viking 7 since the Blizzaks are not available with the right load index... My only concern is that the only version I was able to find for the Viking were speed rated "T" which is 4 levels below what Tesla recommends.

Did you went with that speed rating? Thanks!
Sorry for the late reply. I did went with that T rating from the viking 7. I have put on about 2000km so far and the viking 7 is by far better than any Blizzak winters I had previously.

• Helpful
Reactions: himynameisgab
I just had my Michelin XICE2 245/40/19 winter tires installed on 19" Replika 241 wheels today on my performance model 3. I think the 19" Replika 241 wheels look pretty good on the model 3!

Man though the Michelin XICE 2 tires felt pretty soft and squishy in today's warm and sunny 8 degree Vancouver weather compared to the sporty Michelin Pilot 4S summer tires.

Attachments

• 20191120_141557_resized.jpg
    20191120_141557_resized.jpg
    880.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 20191120_130415_resized.jpg
    20191120_130415_resized.jpg
    719.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20191120_130143_resized.jpg
    20191120_130143_resized.jpg
    618 KB · Views: 89
I ended up buying the Continental WinterContact SI Plus from Canadian Tire. They were having $25% off, and prior I went to RCSS where you get a $25 CTC gift card for every $300 spent, so I bought $900 in Gift Cards, received $975, then with the 25% off at CTC, the Conti's were $891 all in (taxes)

Nice! I just got brand new WRG4’s installed. $1500 including alignment. Gorgeous tyres but man oh man pricey.

Circling back on my traction issue. Its almost healed itself. Here is what Tesla told me

“When the tires of the model 3 have been changed, especially from summer to winter, the traction control enters a learning process in which the traction control system needs to calibrate itself to the new tire compound. This can be done by performing 10-15 moderate accelerations (without accelerating hard enough to engage traction control) and the vehicle will self calibrate. At this point, the vehicle is probably in the middle of this calibration routine, which is why you have noticed a slight improvement..”

Tesla Service.

I just had my Michelin XICE2 245/40/19 winter tires installed on 19" Replika 241 wheels today on my performance model 3. I think the 19" Replika 241 wheels look pretty good on the model 3!

Man though the Michelin XICE 2 tires felt pretty soft and squishy in today's warm and sunny 8 degree Vancouver weather compared to the sporty Michelin Pilot 4S summer tires.
Yeah the X-Ice are depressing to drive on for a P car. I'm considering replacing mine with Michelin Alpin PA4.

Where are you guys ordering tires? I got the X-ice at Kaltire but they don't have PA4s in the model S 19s size

Last edited:
Just put the Hakka9 studded on , no problem with regen works as before

Yes it is slightly less agressive but I have been driving EV’s for 8 yrs and that is normal with all snow tires, not to mention it is cold this morning

My guess is you had a defective tire, maybe out of round who knows.

I am sure you will be happy with the R3’s regardless.

I did lose all regen as well with the Hakka 9 studded on a M3 RWD SR+. It took about a week and a half to get some regen back. I'm still glad I have these on. Best ice tires out there...

Reactions: Goodtohave
Been a couple of weeks, regen is fine. Temperature outside and the pack make a big difference

i did a soft reset hoping to relearn for more regen. Had 0 for half a day, freaked out! But it came back.

When it has been sitting in the cold not charging it doesn’t regen for a while until the battery gets some heat in it.

My old Leaf was the same way. In really cold weather I would park in my detached non heated garage and charge , got it out of the wind and the heat from charging stayed in the garage a bit. If it was -20 plus wind it would only be -10 no wind in the garage. Made a big difference. I think the wind blowing under the car made the pack freeze. It had a temp gauge for the battery and it would be at 0 bars outside and a few bars parked inside the un heated garage.

Sorry to stray so far off topic!