Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Winter Tyres in UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Which Winter Tyres are you / would you use in UK (for 19")

I don't know why, but I asked Tesla for some before XMas and they seem to be taking weeks to get them, just had the Winter Tyres on another vehicle replaced and that was an overnight-order, so more inclined to give the local guy my business, just need to choose a tyre.

Googling recently there were some motoring-mag reviews which considered both noise and rolling-resistance, and seemed like there was quite a bit of difference there which might be the deciding factor? I figure that, in UK, cold wet, sometimes icy, occasionally snowy, any Winter Tyre will be fine, and I don't figure to take the thing to the Alps or Norway for a proper test ...

But I'd be interested in your views, thanks.

My tyres are getting near replacement, but I've done less mileage in the last couple of months. In October/November, I was thinking about new wheels and tyres for a winter/summer swap. I have done 21,000 miles in 21 months, 19" wheels, MS90D.

My tyres of choice were the Nokian WR4, but I don't need new yet, and by February or March I won't buy winters. Rated B, B 69dB.

Here is a recommended place to buy [no connections]

Here is a comparison page from this retailer showing winter tyres for the 19" wheels.

Regards,

Tony

Reactions: WannabeOwner
My tires were worn enough in November that I figured I'd just put Winter rubber on ... and then in the Spring decided if I swap rubber, again, or buy some new rims ... but I hadn't figured on Tesla not just having Winter Rubber in stock when the car went in for some service work ...

I live in Austria, where winter tyres are a legal requirement. I did a lot of research and was edging towards Michelin (Alpin 5, I think) but a couple of chats with some non-Tesla drivers here convinced me to go with the Pirelli Sottozero 3. Yes, they're a touch noisier, but the performance is remarkable.

Last week, I was driving in the mountains, doing roads that were marked for snow chains and my MS with these tyres was handling wonderfully well. I never even had to consider putting chains on and didn't see a single traction warning.

The road holding out of the mountains has been good, too, and I had a good brake test on the Autobahn just before Christmas where I was impressed with how well the tyres gripped on the slightly damp asphalt.

Nokian WR4

Thanks, I've heard people speak highly of them, not really looked closely before.

Your link for comparison has the Nokian WR A4 as the only tyre B rated for both Energy and Wet grip, plus its 2nd quietest - by 1 db ... so seems like a no-brainer, thanks. But the reviews I have read say that the wet braking is quite a long way off the winner in that category (Continental WinterContact TS 860) which was also the overall winner (Auto Express Sep 2017 Winter Tyre Test)

(I've bought online from Camskill before, but they are 14% more than your link, so thanks for that.)

I don't need new yet, and by February or March I won't buy winters

My view is that there is no telling when I might need the better performance of Winter Rubber in the winter season ... and apart from the cost of a second set of rims, if I put 50% of my driving on each then they will both last twice as long [elapsed time] :)

Another plus point for me, if I have a set of Winter tyres in the shed, I can then choose a Summer tyre optimal for dry, warm, road performance ... lots more fun in the summer :)

I live in Austria,

Thanks. My real problem is trying to work out a comparison for UK climate. I've driven on full winter tyres in the Alps on packed snow mountain roads and the grip was astonishing, same as your experience. No need for chains, indeed I was overtaking (FWD at that ...) all other traffic on chains, and even my mate in his Range Rover with Chains and Setting = Snow was not able to make anything like the progress that I could.

In my area of UK it is reasonable to say that the temperature is below 10C (maybe even below 7C) for the core of the Winter, so I think too much of a compromise for Summer Rubber, let alone if there is Ice, but looking at All Season, and in particular the stopping distance in cold-wet, it looks like the only advantage of full Winter Tyre is Snow conditions. But I can't find a direct comparison of stopping distance between best All Season and, say, Continental WinterContact TS 860, ... maybe where I live (South-ish, but rural) All Season is actually what I need for the Winter?

I found this video helpful: