Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Winter Tyres in UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
I've read several (USA-based) threads and confused myself - seems that snow-capable and cold + water/ice-capable with reasonable snow-capability are different things.

Since my first, very revealing, drive to ski resort up a snow-covered mountain road on Winter tyres we have put Winter tyres on all our vehicles for some years now - we get decent snow in East Anglia about once a decade, and rest of the time ice on un-salted back roads, and cold temperatures (which as I understand it make regular tyres perform less effectively).

No idea about the tyres that came with the car, but my thought is to replace those, when they wear out, with something Summer-specific and then alternate with Winter tyres

I'd appreciate suggestions on which ones pls.

I find summer tyres with a4x4 more than adequate over several winters including 2010

Have done that with 4x4 in the past, can get-on and sometimes can improve steering in a corner, but still tendency to go straight on, and definitely can't stop any better. Winter tyres solves those issues, even in 2WD, and give better traction in cold weather, let alone ice / snow, so I'm keen to fit them (but tardy given how mild the Winter has been so far ... manufacturers will have switched to making Summer tyres by the time I make my mind up!!)

I have 19" all round so don't think I have any suspension geometry issues that would need adjustment - which i think only apply to the staggered 21" wheels?

Need to get off my behind and give Tesla a call to find out what is recommended