Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which wireless charging mat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OEM Tesla wireless charging pad is the best one. I tried the aftermarket pads from amazon and while they work and serve the purpose, none of them beat to fit, finish, and quality of the OEM Tesla pad.

For example: it has more coils so your phone will charge no matter how youbplace it; the rubber provides more grip so the phone does not slide; the pad itself is a perfect fit for the space and there’s no wiggle room for it; and it comes with a new trim piece that holds the phone snugly.

It's $125, it doesn't support landscape mode, and it doesn't come with any splitting options to support USB drives for dashcam or music... the support page just says "well, unplug one side of the charger if you wanna use a USB key!" which is a crap answer.

Also says it only provides 5 watts of power per side- nothing about supporting higher rates if supplied the power as the other brands pads do.

It's like the model 3 keyfob of wireless chargers-- overpriced and lacking basic expected features.

My recommendation is to get either the Taptes for great value or the Tesla if money is no object and you want the best fitting pad with probably the most efficient wireless charging.

Taptes pros:
- Great value
- V2 has 3rd coil for horizontal charging option and inbuilt USB-C cable for wired charging
- Comes with a splitter cable

Cons:
- Lifting the tray to get to the USB ports is a bit awkward since the upper edge collides with the lid when open
- Small coils lead to less efficient charging and a bit of heat if you have a phone of a size where the coils don't align well (on v1 or v2 in vertical position)

Tesla pros:
- Best mounting method
- Best fit and overall shape; no issues lifting the tray because the top is tapered
- Big oval coils accommodate phones of difference sizes better
- Provides about a centimeter more vertical space for large phones since it has no "lip"
- Made by Tesla, so you can blame them if some firmware update disables the charger again ;)

Cons:
- Expensive
- No horizontal charging option
- Does not come with a splitter cable (but you can buy one for $5 from Amazon or Ebay)

I just got my TapTes wireless charger and I'm pretty happy with it. There are two (fairly minor) downsides I noticed. One is that it doesn't securely clip into the holes provided in the original Tesla charging platform. I hated the sloppiness of leaving it gravity held in there, so I used the included 3M double sided tape to stick the charging mat to the platform. I'm not thrilled about taping things to my new car, but oh well, first world issues. Second issue is that you can't easily open up the charging platform all the way anymore. With some force you can still do it, but again, not my favorite thing to do to my brand new car. The top of the charging mat seems to contact the underside of the charging area door.

In actual fit and finish, as well as charging speed, I love the TapTes charger so far. The main reason I picked it over the OEM one isn't actually because of price (even though it is double), but really more about customer service. I know for a fact that Tesla has awful customer service. Back before I had a phone with wireless charging I purchased the USB-C and Apple charging cable combo. The apple cable came DOA and never worked. I contacted Tesla and they literally just responded today that they're shipping a replacement apple cable and require the old one back. It's been 6 weeks... Another nice thing is the TapTes came with TWO USB Y cables and they're the perfect size. It didn't help me a ton since I already forked out $25 for two USB splitters but it's a nice touch! Another disadvantage of the Tesla charger for me was the fact that it has a new cover piece, and since I already wrapped my other one matte black, it would look out of place to have more of that cancerous gloss black finish.

I just got my TapTes wireless charger and I'm pretty happy with it. There are two (fairly minor) downsides I noticed. One is that it doesn't securely clip into the holes provided in the original Tesla charging platform. I hated the sloppiness of leaving it gravity held in there, so I used the included 3M double sided tape to stick the charging mat to the platform. I'm not thrilled about taping things to my new car, but oh well, first world issues. Second issue is that you can't easily open up the charging platform all the way anymore. With some force you can still do it, but again, not my favorite thing to do to my brand new car. The top of the charging mat seems to contact the underside of the charging area door.

In actual fit and finish, as well as charging speed, I love the TapTes charger so far. The main reason I picked it over the OEM one isn't actually because of price (even though it is double), but really more about customer service. I know for a fact that Tesla has awful customer service. Back before I had a phone with wireless charging I purchased the USB-C and Apple charging cable combo. The apple cable came DOA and never worked. I contacted Tesla and they literally just responded today that they're shipping a replacement apple cable and require the old one back. It's been 6 weeks... Another nice thing is the TapTes came with TWO USB Y cables and they're the perfect size. It didn't help me a ton since I already forked out $25 for two USB splitters but it's a nice touch! Another disadvantage of the Tesla charger for me was the fact that it has a new cover piece, and since I already wrapped my other one matte black, it would look out of place to have more of that cancerous gloss black finish.
Did you get V1 or V2?

The V2 is better than the V1, both in terms of fit and design, as the V2 allows landscape positioning and has a few other refinements. I initially ordered a V1 and returned it to Amazon, then I ordered a V2 from Taptes.

I think you would find 3M tape or BluTak putty unnecessary on the V2.

The V2 is pretty nice. My Galaxy S10+ barely fits in portrait mode with the case one but I think that would be the issue with any wireless charger since you lose a little bit of space with the bottom bar. Landscape charging is ideal for me anyhow.

I went with the Jeda.

Yes, they take forever to arrive and their fulfillment process is second only to the Tesla online store.
But it fits great, has no movement at all, very secure, can handle the orientation of any phone in any position and has no lights on it.

Sometimes it's the simple things - silly little LEDs for charge status is highly unnecessary. It's not like you're sitting around waiting for the phone to complete its charge. Jeda engineering got the overall form right: no lights, all use-cases, etc.
I have had 2 Jeda pads warp so bad they would not charge the phone as the phone could not make contact with the charging coils and one showed two areas of melted plastic where the coils overheated, Jeda has been terrible with their customer service for me as they keep trying to upsell me to a gen 2 for and “additional fee” all I want is a new gen 1 pad so I can recoup some of my money but they just keep stalling me, I advise everyone to STAY AWAY FROM JEDA!

• Informative
Reactions: RobC
I have had 2 Jeda pads warp so bad they would not charge the phone as the phone could not make contact with the charging coils and one showed two areas of melted plastic where the coils overheated, Jeda has been terrible with their customer service for me as they keep trying to upsell me to a gen 2 for and “additional fee” all I want is a new gen 1 pad so I can recoup some of my money but they just keep stalling me, I advise everyone to STAY AWAY FROM JEDA!
For what it's worth, I've not seen anything close to this behavior.

Well I cannot speak for anyone else but here is what my last one looks like that I have been trying to return since January
sNQhZBY6TMqYVJMbn9RClQ.jpg
MQSf2KcDT%+TrFU4QW2zPg.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ and RobC