Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which wood is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a set of wood trim online and I'm trying to figure out which one it is. I uploaded three photos. It looks like figured ash to me but I think it could also be dark ash. I want to compare the seller's price vs. ordering the parts new from Tesla.

The Tesla parts catalog lists a few options:

- Dark ash graphite
- Linear dark ash
- Oak graphite
- Figured ash burl
- Ash burl graphite

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jose

Attachments

• s-l1603.jpg
    s-l1603.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 204
  • s-l1601.jpg
    s-l1601.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 163
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 148
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a set of wood trim online and I'm trying to figure out which one it is. I uploaded three photos. It looks like figured ash to me but I think it could also be dark ash. I want to compare the seller's price vs. ordering the parts new from Tesla.

The Tesla parts catalog lists a few options:

- Dark ash graphite
- Linear dark ash
- Oak graphite
- Figured ash burl
- Ash burl graphite

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jose

What's in the pictures you posted looks a lot like what I got in my 2019/Sept Build Raven X LR with Black Interior.

The non Performance (LR) had two color Woods at that time.
A very dark wood with black interior and a medium color wood with cream. I forget what came with White, if it was wood at all.

The Performance offered "graphite" and there were several colors. None looked like wood at all but possibly there was. It's weird to see "ash and graphite" in one part name, but it might mean some parts are ash wood and others graphite in a trim set part number. Or there is a mix even on some parts. Like ash with a graphite trim.

Googling around I think mine was called "Dark Ash Wood Decor" and I would call it "figured", Not linear. Baxterdown's photos posted is not linear, but figured. And Bigriver photos are also "figured".

Noticed some photos on the Refresh show a "Linear" Ash which I don't like (never recall seeing linear). But some photos show figured.

The wood is so dark in my car, I barely notice it's even wood. But overall I'm happy with it.

@Bigriver photos also look like mine. So I agree with his comment. I think it's "figured dark ash". Of course that's not in your list is it ;)

I think when I bought mine the Ash wasn't so dark with the cream. Hard to say though because of lighting.

EDIT: Looking again. I take it back, @Bigriver is lighter. I think the photo @Baxterdown posted is well lit. In a dark interior that will look very dark (like mine). Bigriver is more a medium darkness. On the darker side but still medium. Mine would look black in his cream car.

Last edited:
The wood colors match up with seat color as follows:
Linear Dark Ash -> White
Figured Ash Burl -> Black
Oak -> Cream

The switchover to Graphite trim occurred in Spring 2018, at the same time Oak/Cream was introduced. The items labeled Graphite are for cars built since then. Previous builds have natural aluminum trim.

The trim in your pictures is definitely Figured Ash Burl, and appears to have Graphite trim.

Reactions: mswlogo
The wood colors match up with seat color as follows:
Linear Dark Ash -> White
Figured Ash Burl -> Black
Oak -> Cream

The switchover to Graphite trim occurred in Spring 2018, at the same time Oak/Cream was introduced. The items labeled Graphite are for cars built since then. Previous builds have natural aluminum trim.

The trim in your pictures is definitely Figured Ash Burl, and appears to have Graphite trim.

It seems odd to say "figured" and "burl" on one type of wood. It's usually either or. Unless some parts are figured and other parts burl.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I can confirm that indeed it's Figured Ash (the seller checked his window sticker). @timf the seller mentioned that there is no trim attached to it. That it's only the wood. My car is a Feb 2017 build and comes with the natural aluminum trim.

I'm old school and have always loved wood trim on cars. So if everything works out I'm gonna buy this and swap my carbon fiber for it. If anyone is interested, keep an eye out as I'll sell my trim after :)

Thanks for all the replies guys! I can confirm that indeed it's Figured Ash (the seller checked his window sticker). @timf the seller mentioned that there is no trim attached to it. That it's only the wood. My car is a Feb 2017 build and comes with the natural aluminum trim.

I'm old school and have always loved wood trim on cars. So if everything works out I'm gonna buy this and swap my carbon fiber for it. If anyone is interested, keep an eye out as I'll sell my trim after :)
There is metal trim on the rim of the cupholders and the handle on the console door. Even though it's graphite, you could probably get away with it since they are small pieces.