Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which would you choose Model S or Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is for a lot of people. I know many people who refuse to get a 3/Y because they don't want everything on a single center screen. Also, the rear infotainment screen is an important feature for many people with kids.
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be among the items you consider when making a decision but acting like it's the ONLY deciding factor is kind of foolish when the two vehicles are so different at more important aspects. It's a lot like someone asking you to help them decide between two totally different houses in different areas and your answer is "well that one has a round front door knob and the other one has a lever front door knob" as your only input.

For me, personally, the single screen that looks like the designers forgot to include an interface and realized it at 4:55pm on a Friday and slapped a Tablet in the middle of the dash with some duct tape is pretty damn close to a deal breaker. That doesn't mean if they made a Model S Plaid + with all of the same specs but with this same layout as the Model 3 and sold it for $35k I wouldn't take it and learn to live with it. Fortunately for me, that's not likely a decision I'll ever have to make.

The point is, there are FAR more important aspects to deciding between an Model S and a Model Y. They're both EVs made by the same manufacturer but, aside from that, they're two totally different vehicles that offer totally different driving/ownership experiences. It's important for the buyer to understand ALL of these differences and decide for themselves what weight each of those has for them and their needs.

It is for a lot of people. I know many people who refuse to get a 3/Y because they don't want everything on a single center screen. Also, the rear infotainment screen is an important feature for many people with kids.
When mine were little, when riding in the back, if they were constantly looking downward at tablets? Motion sickness.
Wasn’t until I mounted monitors in headrests (looking upward and where they could see movement outside of the car) that the motion sickness was eliminated

I have owned 2 Model S vehicles, 1 Model X vehicle and I have rented a Model 3 and a Model Y. The Model Y is now my most favorite out of all of them. I love the simplicity, the heat pump and the long range. I also like having 7 seats that face forwards. Your experience may differ.

Brent

Get the Y. I owned an S and now own a Y and an X. I love how the Y feels on the road. I think it's easier to see out of in town and easier to maneuver. I like how you set up in the Y and feels more upright but offers comfort. The rear setting is huge and has Lots of storage. I like how you can rest your arm on the center console and have easy access to the screen with your arm in a natural location. Love the storage around the driver and easy access to cup holders. They are not in an odd placement. I know the New S will be different and have newer battery chemistry, but I do feel that the Model Y will age very well. I also believe it's at a great price point although you mention money is no concern. Get the Y, it will not disappoint.....

I would say try the Model S and Model 3 now.. See if you find someone with a grey import Model Y (I've seen many in Poland and Germany) and have some test drives.

I have a 2014 P85 and I love it. The air suspension alone is worth it when traversing city streets and doing the on-sidewalk parking in Krakow.

Lots of space for friends as I have the rear-facing seats that all kids love.

Try both and see which one you like. Try to drive a route you are familiar with.

The new Model S or Model Y will be nice cars no matter how you look at it.

We've owned S, 3, X and Y and I still prefer the S for many of the reasons mentioned above. I prefer the S on road trips since it has more range and I still have FUSC. While the 3 and Y can theoretically charge faster than my older S, they often have to stay and charge to a higher SoC to make it to the next Supercharger (which can be pretty far apart in the western and central US). Typically when I'm on a road trip, it's usually only me and perhaps one other person, so nobody is using the second row seats. The second row seats in the S aren't that comfortable on longer trips because there's not much toe room and your legs are angled up from your lap. Currently, the Y has more leg and toe room in the second row, so if you have teenagers or other adults in the household, the Y will be more comfortable for them. It remains to be seen if the refreshed 2021 Model S will improve comfort for second row passengers, but without major changes, I don't see how much that could've been improved.

The European built Y might be a game changer. If it has the 4680 cells with a greater range than an S and an air suspension, then my preferred Tesla model might change.

Currently, in order of preference, I would prefer the S, followed by the Y, then the X and lastly the 3.
Just found this valuable post. May I know why you prefer S over X? Are there any problems in X but not in S?

Just found this valuable post. May I know why you prefer S over X? Are there any problems in X but not in S?
We had an X for a while. For us, it was more car than we needed since we never had more than 3 people in a car. If you have kids or multiple passengers, the X would definitely have more room for them than the S, 3 or Y. The S will still have better range since it is more aerodynamic and lighter than an X with the same battery.

In the US, there are some tax advantages on the X due to its weight. We do have a new one on order since December 2020.

We had an X for a while. For us, it was more car than we needed since we never had more than 3 people in a car. If you have kids or multiple passengers, the X would definitely have more room for them than the S, 3 or Y. The S will still have better range since it is more aerodynamic and lighter than an X with the same battery.

In the US, there are some tax advantages on the X due to its weight. We do have a new one on order since December 2020.
Thanks for the reply! Do you have any pointer to the tax advantages you mentioned for X?

Thanks for the reply! Do you have any pointer to the tax advantages you mentioned for X?
Here are a couple threads about using Model X for business purposes and Section 179 of the tax code: