Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which would you take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

So I have a choice between two demos, would appreciate your advice on which to take.

Things that I’m taking into account:
- no home charger
- North England, so can be a bit cold/snowy in the winters

1. 2019 SR+, £36k
2. 2021 SR+ £39k, refreshed Fremont model not the MIC model with the new battery

I prefer the colour of the 2019 model and the £££ savings (~$4250 usd). Having said that because of no home charging I’m conscious to try and maximise range. Does the heat pump make that significant of a difference to range and overnight vampire draining?

The 2021 model is black, and I’m worried that I’ll have to get it coated in PPF or something which would increase the cost. Or has the black paint improved in quality/how are people holding up that haven’t coated it?

Thank you

Personally, given your location’s climate and lack of home charger I’d be trying to find a LR AWD (dual motor) model. The extra range and traction will be useful and worth the extra spend, in my opinion. If that’s not feasible then of the 2 SR models you are looking at, I would go for the newer model for the warranty protection as well as more up to date spec. You wouldn’t need to get the entire car PPF covered though, that would be expensive. A ceramic coating is cheaper and would suffice and you could perhaps have smaller areas like the front bumper PPF’d. I’m sure there are many owners of black Model 3s who have no such protection and are perfectly happy.

Personally, given your location’s climate and lack of home charger I’d be trying to find a LR AWD (dual motor) model. The extra range and traction will be useful and worth the extra spend, in my opinion. If that’s not feasible then of the 2 SR models you are looking at, I would go for the newer model for the warranty protection as well as more up to date spec. You wouldn’t need to get the entire car PPF covered though, that would be expensive. A ceramic coating is cheaper and would suffice and you could perhaps have smaller areas like the front bumper PPF’d. I’m sure there are many owners of black Model 3s who have no such protection and are perfectly happy.
Exactly this! - with the lack of home charging I would try to stretch to a LR if you can, if not go for the newer one!

Nah, you'll be fine with either. I've yet to see anyone provide any significant compelling data that shows the heat pump makes anything more than an incremental difference. I have a LR, it goes far further than my family can on a longer drive.

If you don't have a home charger, is there reliable public charging somewhere suitable? In a car park where you can actually go and do something useful while it charges.

Personally, given your location’s climate and lack of home charger I’d be trying to find a LR AWD (dual motor) model.

thanks for the reply! I’d love to get a LR but it is outside of my budget, unless I go second hand from a private individual but I don’t know enough about cars to properly assess a lemon vs not so would prefer a dealership car.

If you don't have a home charger, is there reliable public charging somewhere suitable? In a car park where you can actually go and do something useful while it charges.

There are a few, yes. Including one that allows overnight parking. So my plan would be to top up 10mins here and there during the week then leave it overnight at the car park one night at the weekend to fill it up, or even use a supercharger. My main concern is making sure it can get to the weekend. I do about 35miles a day total, so was hoping the heat pump would minimise overnight and winter losses to help get me to Saturday.

Before suggesting you look at a LR - what is your expected usage? How many miles on a normal day, what longer drives do you do and how often etc?

most longer drives are fine with supercharger or motorway service stops depending where you go and where you’re based

my 2021 Fremont SR+ will do about 200 miles on the motorway at 10c but local trips can vary. It’s very efficient around town but heating/cooling the car means lots of tiny trips will eat more miles.

at a guess, if your 35 miles is 17.5 each way, you probably won’t do a full working week without charging, but a couple of quick top ups should make that doable.

I like the look of the 2021 with the dechrome and interior being not shiny plastic. But that price difference would probably tip me into the 2019

Before suggesting you look at a LR - what is your expected usage? How many miles on a normal day, what longer drives do you do and how often etc?

Yes ... this.
Actual detail makes all the difference. If your 35 miles a day is done in one journey that's a difference to short journeys that add up to 35 ... particularly in the winter. In cold weather there tends to be an initial hit getting the car warm so you if you do that several times a day you lose a few extra percent. People who are plugging in at home have the luxury of being able to save battery by warming the car on mains electricity before leaving ... which you won't be able to do (the warming of the battery being more significant than the warming of the cabin). Also depends on your commitments and responsibilities... if you have elderly relatives that live 50 miles away but who can call you at short notice you need to always have 100 miles plus a cushion of a few percent ... unless there's Supercharger on the way. It may seem over the top to break it down like this but real lives are hugely variable. The range of the SR+ with the availability of Supercharging can get you anywhere in the country and it's a great fit for many people .. I have one and it is perfect for our needs .. but I have home charging and the car is never normally sitting at home for long with less than 75% onboard. To make it work when depending on public charging takes a bit more care and planning. I would hate to have the car sitting with 25% and then something comes up ... but then you may have access to a second car ... ... The public charging element is definitely a push towards the LR over the SR+ in my own opinion.

Unless you're going to blow the warranty on mileage grounds, the newer car has at leat a year and possible 18 months of general warranty more than the older car - thats worth £1k-£2k if I was buying, which makes the prices a lot closer.

Is there any prospect of pressuring your Employer to install Workplace Charging assuming that you have private parking there ? There are Grants available and some Employers are becoming sensitive to Green Issues and ultimately it will be something that future potential Employees will seek.

Re the Paint I've personally had a Black SR + for 22 Months with no PPE and no paint issues to speak of.

Thanks everyone for the further feedback.

My mileage will mainly be two ~16 mile trips (to work and back), with up to 3 miles for popping into a shop on the way home or missing an exit, etc.
At the moment the odds of a workplace charger is minimal. It's privately owned and I'm only there for a year before moving on. I'll bring it up and sell the long-term benefits but I'm not expecting anything, and I assume that the prospect of paying more on electricity will make it a non-starter.

Reassuring to know about the black pain, thanks! I was looking at quotes and it's anywhere from £700-2000 depending on the coating and amount so was put off.

Ugh, I guess I need to have a think between SR+ vs wait a year or two until I can afford a LR or somehow sort some home charging. I think that there needs to be some big brain thinking into how all us folk without off-street parking access can have get reliable charging at home.

My mileage will mainly be two ~16 mile trips (to work and back), with up to 3 miles for popping into a shop on the way home or missing an exit, etc.
At the moment the odds of a workplace charger is minimal. It's privately owned and I'm only there for a year before moving on. I'll bring it up and sell the long-term benefits but I'm not expecting anything, and I assume that the prospect of paying more on electricity will make it a non-starter.

Reassuring to know about the black pain, thanks! I was looking at quotes and it's anywhere from £700-2000 depending on the coating and amount so was put off.

Ugh, I guess I need to have a think between SR+ vs wait a year or two until I can afford a LR or somehow sort some home charging. I think that there needs to be some big brain thinking into how all us folk without off-street parking access can have get reliable charging at home.
My own Commute prior to Lockdown was very similar to yours 14 Miles each way. I managed fine with a mainly weekly pretty full Charge and the odd shorter top up if Supermarket Shopping etc. Be aware that Winter is a very different prospect in any EV with around 20% drop in Range so you need to take this into account.

I think you'd get through a week perhaps with only a single top-up at a supermarket 7kw charger for an hour. Maybe two if its cold. If you're doing 4 miles/kwh the SR+ should get you 200 miles on a full charge. An hour at 7kw would add about 25 miles range. But you'd be at the weekend with low charge and you'd need overnight to top it back up

I think that'd be ok and you could adapt to it. Maybe talk to the council about offstreet parking posts etc.

SR+ is great and is easily usable (Also i use no protection here......ceramic or PPF that is)

I do 40 miles each way a day (80 miles in total), I have no off street parking, but do have a work place charger. I have also become use to charging out and about when not at work. It becomes a second nature. You will find your favourite charging spots, learn and become knowledgeable in how long it takes to charge between the % and which chargers work well and that are not crowded at certain times of the day.

Daily commute use (i charge to 90%)

Summer months - 20% each way (40miles each way)
Winter months - 25% each way (40miles each way)

I charge every day at work and takes the following on a 7kw charger

Summer months - 3hrs ish
Winter months - 4hrs ish

charging the above on a 50kw charger - around 35-40mins

Look at slow chargers near your work/home (car parks etc) that you could use when at work or at home. (Supermarkets have free chargers sometime)

Allow time in your "too" or "from" work drive for a quick top-up at the rapids (50kw and above) if need be.

Plan a "pop to the supermarket" (Aldi, Asda, Tesco etc have charger these days and some have rapids) in your trip home. Get your milk and eggs with a few electrons.

Fancy some exercise at the weekend? find a car park with a 7kw charger and get filled up, walk home or have a stroll about for 4-5hrs (best time is a Sunday as its cheaper to park and these car parks usually have free charging).

Its all about planning and once you get the knack of it, its very easy to use the SR+ with no off street parking.

21months ownership and 32k miles in :)

Ps. i have a rubber cable cover thing (anti trip thing for over the pavement) for emergency home use to use my granny UMC charger on my 3pin plug.
Also, charging early in the morning is great - grab a nice coffee and slap on a Netflix/Youtube vid and sit back and relax :)

Reactions: Magstauk