Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which X and options are best for us?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to become educated on Tesla as a whole and specifically the Model X. Looking to replace our X5 as our family hauler. Wife does a ton of driving around all day/night/weekend for the kids and puts about 15,000+ miles a year on her SUV. It's mostly local driving, stop and go running errands style of driving. I'm tired of the $3200+ a year in gas, the $1300 brake and rotor jobs, the random but frequent $500 stops at the dealers etc.

First thing first, any year X will be a huge difference compared to the X5 we currently have. With this being said the newest, latest most up to date Model X might not be the best fit for us due to cost and how we will be using the X.

So a few obvious questions. Is a 2018 better than a 17 which is better than a 16. Do we stay away from the 2016 because it'll be close to 4yrs old when we are ready to buy in the fall? Won't need autopilot, etc. but also want to make sure we get the most useful options.

Budget would be around 80k if possible. Thanks in advance for the advice while I try to learn all the Tesla acronyms.

We've had about 45 cars and after a short test drive in the X we fell in love. It's an awesome SUV.

I took delivery on my X 100D about a year ago. Got the six seat option - it's great because I have a good storage area in the rear when the seats are down. Have not sat in the back seats so have no idea how comfortable they are. My grandkids have, however and they did not complain. Got the Performance Upgrade Package and do not regret it. Sound system is great! Also got the cold weather package (might be part of the PUP?) and really like the heated steering wheel. Especially during the nasty weather we had in Seattle last winter. Use the trailer hitch to haul the bikes around. Really like that. My advice is to get as much as you can afford. You'll not regret it. I'm not a great fan off used cars, but you have to do what you have to do. The only negative is that the beast is an F-ing rocket, and I still do some crazy stuff, but have tapered off somewhat since last June. Had a State Patrol motorcycle guy stop me in Tacoma for going too slow! (really). He just wanted to talk about the car. Electricity out here is $0.10 per kWh - chump change. That's ten bucks to fill the tank for a 300 mile trip. Have an older Honda CR-V that I use as the 'dog car.' it's rarely used so I have no idea what gas costs. Don't care either.

I have six seater 100 batt, before the X , I had S and an X5M..I wish I had gotten seven seater for fold flat ..80k puts you in good range for 2018,2019 models ..I would try and get as new as possible ..if daily driving is under 180 miles a SR or 75 battery will suffice ...I charge mine normally to70% and find that good enough .. however as others have said the bigger battery is good ...;)

6 vs 7 is a hard choice.

The 6 seat is a better people carrier - the gap in the middle opens the car up a lot and makes the third room more pleasant to sit in, and it's easier to get into the third row by going in through the second and back instead of moving the second row forward.

But the 6 seat doesn't fold. You will never be able to get anything more than 60" long that's more than 14" wide into the car, and it doesn't have roof rack options because of the falcon wing doors.

The 7 seat does fold flat, making it much more flexible when it comes to hauling cargo, and it is certainly quite capable of handling people if not quite as convenient if you regularly carry more than five.

Thanks for the info. Definitely undecided about the seating at this point. What I really hope to avoid is buying something and learning that the next year had significant improvements, a certain battery had issues, a refresh was done on a certain VIN, etc.

The 100 battery and subzero package would be ideal. Let's see what the prices look like in the fall. Of course new would be awesome but 100k just ain't happening!!

We've been toying with a CPO BMW X5, Audi Q7, GL 450, etc but they do absolutely nothing for us. Been there, done that many times. Can't believe the price for them, the MPG, the maintenance, etc. I really think the MX will be such a refresher for us.

Trying to learn all the different acronyms and abbreviations for Tesla options and features has been challenging!!

What is a concern for me initially is all the posts and comments about not using AC or heat for range concerns. My wife is a heat or AC on all the time and often has the heated seat on as well kind of woman. If these cool features are not practical due to battery drain, whats the point of having them?? Having the car start cooling itself a few minutes before getting in during the summer months is awesome, same goes for heat in the winter. Am I really going to tell my wife to drive slow, coast when you can, don't use the heat or AC?? That won't go over well at all.

Last edited:
What is a concern for me initially is all the posts and comments about not using AC or heat for range concerns. My wife is a heat or AC o

AC not really an issue ..heater takes more energy but if local driving I wouldn’t worry too much ..I mainly use seat heaters in winter however where I’m at in California doesn’t get to cold ;)

Normally for local use I'd recommend the smaller battery, but with heavy frequent usage the bigger battery would be simpler. I'd get at least a 2017 100D. MCU2 would be nice to have, AP2.5 or HW3 would be nice, though you should be able to upgrade from AP2.0 as well. I think those were the main updates since my March 2017 delivered X, up until the Raven refresh. Beyond all that I'd probably get a higher mileage car on the premise that a Tesla should last much longer that ICE cars but are still priced like an ICE car. Though I haven't checked prices lately.

I really like the 6 seater, Though I was not quite able to fit a 65" TV in the back. Had to leave the hatch open. It's great for hauling people if you don't need 7 seats. We cram if full of stuff for trips to visit our kids. The seating area is good for holding stuff like coolers, tall plants, bar stools, and other awkward stuff. I got the 100D specifically for road trips, which has been a good choice.

My 2¢ would be minimum 100d and also anything later than August 2017 (e.g MCU1 AP2.5... That's what we have). Probably prefer MCU2+ if I had a choice. I heard, not sure if it's still on going, but unlimited supercharger for stock inventory. That option would be very beneficial if you're driving a lot (seems like your wife may be driving all day so supercharging will help alleviate range anxiety). If you're the type that needs the latest and greatest... You'll always we chasing. The good is you'll get OTA update, the bad is existing tech will only go so far and then new hardware comes about and then you're slightly obsolete (ap1 vs raven vs m3). I still believe any Tesla tech better than any other car manufacturer because it evolves. Lastly my opinion on seats are 7 seater is really just a much more versatile 5 seater with room for the extra soccer kids in a pinch. That's what we have and it's great! 6 seater is a much better option if you need a consistent seat for 6. Good luck and keep us updated on your decision!

I would prefer 5 or 7 seats over 6. 5 seats gives you the most leg room for the 2nd row and most cargo space. 7 seats ($3000 option) gives the most flexibility with slightly smaller 2nd row leg room and both 2nd and 3rd seat fold flat. The 6 seats ($6000 option) gives you more comfortable power adjustable 2nd row seats but doesn't fold flat and if you fold 3rd flat, you need to worry about smaller (groceries) stuff flying to the front through the center. FYI, if you really have to take more than 5 people in a 5-seater, you can potentially remove the back cargo board. There's a stair like cargo area that you (kid or small adult) can seat.

The free supercharging is for new inventory model S or X and ends 06/30 (Tesla on Twitter). But there's zero model X inventory right now. There were quite a few new MXs (100D) even last month in your price range. Now even the CPO are over priced. You should probably wait and keep your eyes on the tracking sites or have an OA (owner adviser) help you. Prices will come down again, if sales are not good.

Thanks for the info. Definitely undecided about the seating at this point. What I really hope to avoid is buying something and learning that the next year had significant improvements, a certain battery had issues, a refresh was done on a certain VIN, etc.

The 100 battery and subzero package would be ideal. Let's see what the prices look like in the fall. Of course new would be awesome but 100k just ain't happening!!

We've been toying with a CPO BMW X5, Audi Q7, GL 450, etc but they do absolutely nothing for us. Been there, done that many times. Can't believe the price for them, the MPG, the maintenance, etc. I really think the MX will be such a refresher for us.

Trying to learn all the different acronyms and abbreviations for Tesla options and features has been challenging!!

What is a concern for me initially is all the posts and comments about not using AC or heat for range concerns. My wife is a heat or AC on all the time and often has the heated seat on as well kind of woman. If these cool features are not practical due to battery drain, whats the point of having them?? Having the car start cooling itself a few minutes before getting in during the summer months is awesome, same goes for heat in the winter. Am I really going to tell my wife to drive slow, coast when you can, don't use the heat or AC?? That won't go over well at all.

Nope. You can drive like a maniac all day long with the AC and stereo cranked to max and any other accessories you wanted running and the car will be perfectly happy.

You can even do that on roadtrips pretty much anywhere in the US these days - Superchargers are typically only about a hundred miles apart.

All the will happen is you'll use about fifty percent more energy to cover every mile, and for most drivers that won't matter at all around town because the car still just charge more overnight.

On road trips it'll mean longer or more frequent charge stops, but the difference won't be unmanageable.

Have to agree with pretty much all of the energy use comments. On long trips what's wrong with stopping regularly for a charge and a stretch? 6 or 7 seats is dealer's choice. There's a reason there are no Xs in inventory. I put a 50 amp breaker inn the panel box and hooked a 50 amp dryer (NEC 50?) receptacle up to it. The standard charging cable will pull 32 amps, and that's plenty for overnight charging. I use the seat heater until the summer and have been using the AC a lot. Really do not have any energy use concerns. One additional thought. I bought some WeatherTec floor mats - they're basically rubber containers that fit perfectly in the floor area. They saved my bacon more than once on the old Rx400h I had. Believe Tesla now markets them at a better price. Good investment.

Reactions: P85_DA
Have to agree with pretty much all of the energy use comments. On long trips what's wrong with stopping regularly for a charge and a stretch? 6 or 7 seats is dealer's choice. There's a reason there are no Xs in inventory. I put a 50 amp breaker inn the panel box and hooked a 50 amp dryer (NEC 50?) receptacle up to it. The standard charging cable will pull 32 amps, and that's plenty for overnight charging. I use the seat heater until the summer and have been using the AC a lot. Really do not have any energy use concerns. One additional thought. I bought some WeatherTec floor mats - they're basically rubber containers that fit perfectly in the floor area. They saved my bacon more than once on the old Rx400h I had. Believe Tesla now markets them at a better price. Good investment.

Pretty sure most dryers are 30A with a NEMA 14-30 plug. Your Tesla came with a 50A NEMA 14-50 plug (unless you bought in the last few months), which is great choice for home charging. I got mine at Home Depot for $15. Electrician charged me $150 to put in a the 50A CB in the panel and run a foot or so of wire to the outlet.

I would not get too hung up on years because Tesla makes changes constantly. They do not batch up changes and then make them as part of 20xx model year. Cars a week or two apart make have substantial upgrades, like the MCU2 change made in March 2018.

With that said, I would get the latest lowest mileage unit you can find. Latest because it will have the latest production line improvements and equipment. Lowest mileage for obvious reasons.

I would not get too hung up on years because Tesla makes changes constantly. They do not batch up changes and then make them as part of 20xx model year. Cars a week or two apart make have substantial upgrades, like the MCU2 change made in March 2018.

With that said, I would get the latest lowest mileage unit you can find. Latest because it will have the latest production line improvements and equipment. Lowest mileage for obvious reasons.

Latest you can easily afford is a good idea.

I really wouldn't worry much about the mileage, though - between the lower vibration and lack of thermal cycling and limited moving parts, Teslas tend to be less affected by mileage than most other cars, I think.

Tesla offers many different options on Model X to fit buyers budget. They have new cars with various options that effect pricing, they have Demo vehicles with low miles, Used vehicles of different ages and warranties.

Would be worth contacting them to see what they might have that would be just right for you.

There is also an active privated used market where you can sometimes get pretty good deals.

Hard part is that Tesla constantly updates their vehicles, and the new ones often qualify for tax credits/rebates. By paying just a little more, you could get the latest battery packs, automated suspensions, better motors, faster charging and extended range. Recently Tesla has had some price reductions on their Model X vehicles.

Buying new will get you just the color and options you prefer.

Latest you can easily afford is a good idea.

I really wouldn't worry much about the mileage, though - between the lower vibration and lack of thermal cycling and limited moving parts, Teslas tend to be less affected by mileage than most other cars, I think.

Good point on drivetrain. But there are still parts that take a pounding based on miles driven. I was thinking anything in the suspension and steering. That poor suspension has to deal with a near 6,000 pound load hitting potholes. Ouch.

Trying to become educated on Tesla as a whole and specifically the Model X. Looking to replace our X5 as our family hauler. Wife does a ton of driving around all day/night/weekend for the kids and puts about 15,000+ miles a year on her SUV. It's mostly local driving, stop and go running errands style of driving. I'm tired of the $3200+ a year in gas, the $1300 brake and rotor jobs, the random but frequent $500 stops at the dealers etc.

First thing first, any year X will be a huge difference compared to the X5 we currently have. With this being said the newest, latest most up to date Model X might not be the best fit for us due to cost and how we will be using the X.

So a few obvious questions. Is a 2018 better than a 17 which is better than a 16. Do we stay away from the 2016 because it'll be close to 4yrs old when we are ready to buy in the fall? Won't need autopilot, etc. but also want to make sure we get the most useful options.

Budget would be around 80k if possible. Thanks in advance for the advice while I try to learn all the Tesla acronyms.

We've had about 45 cars and after a short test drive in the X we fell in love. It's an awesome SUV.
I’m in the same boat except I’m trying to convince my wife that a Tesla is the way to go, especially the model x. 6 seat option is what I want. I just looked and even took my kids to sit in one 2 days ago and I’m sold and I haven’t even test driven one. Anyone have tips on how to convince their spouse to buy one? I’d appreciate it.