TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

WhichTesla service plan are you getting?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Jeddi, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Jeddi

Jeddi Member

I'm taking delivery in three weeks and need to figure out which service plan to go with.
    I never bought into the service/warranty plans in the past because I could have just about any shop work on my car. But as we know, Tesla is a whole different animal. Since I'm in the east Bay Area I'm leaning towards getting the 4-Year Plan + Extension for $3800 (8 year plan without unlimited Ranger).
    Curious to find out what the other Tesla owners are opting for??

2. HHHH

HHHH Member

I got the warranty for $2500 before the price increase, and the 8 year unlimited ranger service for $4800. I may or may not use the unlimited ranger service, but for $600 a year, it seemed like a no-brainer coming from other expensive makes with high service bills. Plus, I like knowing that I won't have major service bills for a while.

3. Jeddi

Jeddi Member

I did buy my car before the recent price increase. So it was only $2500 at that time?

4. irishstoutaz

irishstoutaz Member

The service plan is still the same price but the Extended Service Agreement (Warranty) increased at the end of June... We went without the ranger service for 4+4 and paid the following for both on 6/28:

4-Year Plan + 4-Year Extension Service Plan = $3,800
    Extended Service Agreement = $2,500

5. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

My MS is due to be delivered on 9/20 and my plan is 4+4 and extended service for 8 with Ranger. Pricey (about $8,000) but at least I feel I will know close to my total costs for the next 8 years and pay them now.

6. Jeddi

Jeddi Member

7. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

I'd love to know if there are any existing owners or soon-to-be owners who've decided not to buy any service plan at all, just deal with the $600 yearly or every 18mos or so, esp if they live a few miles from a service center.

8. phat78boy

phat78boy Member

I'm a current owner and only purchased the Extended Service plan. I plan on driving about 25K miles a year and don't believe service is needed every 12.5K. This was all but confirmed when they announced warranty would not be voided if you did not have service. The plans were for a set number of years and a set number of miles. That being said, I will still get service, but every 12-18 months. If the service stays at $600, it will be much cheaper for me then purchasing a plan.

9. Lump

Lump Active Member

I got the extended warranty prior to the price increase but not the service, the car isn't used for work commuting so milage will likely stay low, I plan on taking it in for service every other year, service center is 5 miles away so Ranger services isn't needed.

10. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

didn't they say no service required??

11. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

Sorry- i may not have described what I was planning on getting correctly...and it's $8,800 ugh!

4-YEAR ANYWHERE PLAN + 4-YEAR EXTENSION
    Tesla Service for eight years
    Up to 100,000 miles

Includes unlimited Ranger Service

$4,800
    Prepaid

PLUS

EXTENDED SERVICE AGREEMENT
    Tesla’s extended service program covers the repair or replacement of Model S parts due to defects in materials or workmanship provided by Tesla. Coverage lasts for four years or 50,000 miles (whichever comes first) and begins on the date your warranty expires, as long as you purchase this service within 30 days of your warranty’s expiration.

$4,000

12. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

As I understand it, looking at the text, the first $4,800 plan you have to buy within 30 days of delivery, but the $4,000 Extended Service Agreement doesn't have to be purchased until 30 days before your factory warranty is up, correct?

13. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Yes--they said that quite some time ago.

14. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

I'm one of the service-plan-less souls. Figured I'd take the car in every 20,000-25,000 miles and cough up the $600. It may yet turn out to be on an annual cadence given that I'm at over 11,000 miles already in 7 months.

I did get the "extended warranty" thingie though just before the price jumped from $2,500 to $4,000. My reasoning was that something like the door handles are bound to fail (again) sometime in the first 8 years of ownership and that (expensive fix) should be covered by this plan. I did luck out in a sense to get the lower price.

15. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

If you live a long way from the service center, the pre-paid 8-year service plan *with free Ranger service* is probably worth it. That's why I decided it was worth.

If you live close to a service center? Eh. Dunno. I would likely not have gotten it if I was close to a service center.

The extended warranty -- at $2500 I figured it was worth it, just in case Tesla made some serious design mistake which shows up after 5 years. At $4000? Maybe not worth it, not sure.

16. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

That's also my understanding.....but the price could chenge and they could always decide to stop offering it if it proves to be unprofitable. Just figure I will buy up front and be done with it.