Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

While Teslas fail at "Cars and Coffee"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first got my P85D I used to clean and polish it and take it proudly to the local cars and coffee, and show it off proudly. These days, I park in regular parking and don’t bother showing it at all. These are the reasons why the car enthusiasts at cars and coffee are generally indifferent or even apathetic towards Teslas.

1. No noise. Its a very visceral thing to have a loud revving angry engine that tells the world you’ve got. Both the new ZR1 and the latest Mustangs have super loud and quiet muffler settings, indicating that car companies spend a lot of effort in car noise. And even though I personally would rather hear the radio than a constant exhaust drone, its a very common request to want to hear what the engine sounds like.

2) Literally nothing to see under the hood. You can’t see any of the workings of the car. You can’t see anything that is modified, chromed, or tuned. you simply can’t see the car work. To guys who like to tinker, or mechanics who like to see how things work, this car is boring.

3) Not modifiable or customizable. There is no MOPAR, AMG, M power or third party modifications of the engine. You can’t put stickers all over your car listing the add ons that you have spent your money on to individualize your ride. There are a few companies that are starting to put cosmetic add ons like Novitec, and unplugged performance, but it is my opinion that these mods are quite subtle.

4) People don’t understand Wh/m or MPGe. While people assume that bigger batteries have a longer range, In general, people have no idea that there is a performance difference between a 75 and a 100 kW Tesla. For most people a P100D parked next to a 75 is indistinguishable, but they can certainly tell the difference between a base mustang and 500GT.

5) No heritage. Your dad never owned a Tesla when you were growing up. Your uncle never had a Tesla in his garage. In fact, most of the people who stop and ask questions and are most interested in the car are less than 25 years old. It’s the kids that are fascinated. People with grey hair and NASCAR t-shirts keep on walking.

6) People still don’t understand that its electric. Even despite the car company being several years old now, I’m constantly surprised by how many people still ask me if its a hybrid, or where the gas cap is.

7) People want to drive their carefully tuned car, not be driven by a taxi. Over the years, Teslas have been known by the public for several things. Originally they were the “green” car with no exhaust. Then the “fast” car when the P100D came along. Now, most people seem to know the Tesla as the car that drives itself. And while this is of passing interest, the people who bring their cars to cars and coffee are driving enthusiasts. They want to be part of the driving experience.

I smile politely and tell these troglodytes that my next car will be a Tesla too.

I posted this before but when I was in Orlando I went to ACE Cafe on a regular...my 2016 MS75 stole the show! Millennials and Kids absolutely love checking it out...maybe guys with ICE cars not so much(the Tesla was stealing their thunder). Just do a simple summon and that usually draws a crowd...then you'll be able to talk Tesla endlessly(for real...I got laryngitis talking Tesla:))

Attachments

• IMG_3791.JPG
    IMG_3791.JPG
    524.1 KB · Views: 146
I agree with you. I have toyed with the idea of taking my Roadster to some local car shows but they're mostly populated by old geezers that are scared of electronics and computers.

Also, plenty of "car people" are flat ignorant that everyone, and I mean everyone, is piping synthetic engine sounds into the car's cabin through the stereo. So when I get into this discussion w/ people I tell them they can simply use one of those phone apps that use G forces to create synthetic engine sounds and then it's the same as their BMW, Mercedes, Mustang, etc. except the Tesla is a better car.

But the other way to look at your post is that as opposed to expecting throngs of adulation, you should use these kinds of gatherings as an opportunity to educate. Every person who thinks it's a hybrid and to whom you are nice and patient when talking to them walks away with more information and possibly an adjusted attitude towards EVs. To that end I will try to join some of those shows next year....

To guys who like to tinker, or mechanics who like to see how things work, this car is boring

I respectfully disagree on the bolded points. I find it interesting!

Not modifiable or customizable
Um, what? It sure is! It's just done "in software". You flip a switch and bam, it goes faster, or the battery is bigger, or you've got some other neat things.
And then you can also modify hardware too of course (hsrmotors is one example, but not the only one) as already mentioned. Have not you seen the "three motors Model S prototype"? The "model S limo", the "Model S station wagon", the "Model S coupe", the "Model S convertible" projects? I am sure this is because the car is totally uncustomizable! ;)
There are also companies that sell modified exterior panels for teslas too.

Good points all, although I am reminded of the annual Kamloops car show - over 500 vehicles and 50,000 people attend this strikingly well-run one-day event. This year, there was a dedicated avenue for EVs; 31 showed up including 24 Teslae. Yes, Teslae. Along with 4 Leafs and 3 Bolts. Lots of questions and curious folk. Admittedly a different venue than the usual cars and coffee gathering, but still.

As far as mods go, well, there are modifications and then there are modifications, yes? People have been curious about the Reus audio upgrades mostly due to the accuracy and sometimes due to their teeth rattling if I turn it up, As well, it's not every day you see an espresso maker and a fridge in a Model S. This year I added a dedicated grinder, which meant an upgrade in beans as well. Had to be done.

1. not like you get to rev your engine at meets, at least not in the bay area unless you want the show to get shut down
2) people dont normally pop their hoods anyways

3) doesnt mean you cant do your own mods, if you want to get into the car game, the easiest mods are lowering the car/ nice set of fitment wheels

4) people dont understand because youre trying to talk to them in a different language, why not use the same language? torque is key

5) if your car has nothing special and looks like every other tesla on the road, what is there to ask?

6) why does it matter if you're at a car meet? are you trying to one up someone because you own an EV?

7) seems like you're a bit stubborn and believe Tesla cars are superior to others to be honest. you might want to bring it down a notch and maybe you will understand car culture.

So glad to know it's not just us. We went to a Cars and Coffee this summer excited to see people's cars and show people ours and were met with the coldest reception ever. My husband went inside to buy some coffee and food and I waited out side. I tried to strike up a friendly conversation and they wouldn't hardly acknowledge me. More or less ignored me actually, don't think they even said hi back when I started out that way, and I was asking about their old vette and the other persons convertible (which they had a poseable skeleton in so thought they were going to be nice fun people) and not even mentioning our Model S. Never met a bigger group of snobby stuckup people since junior high. Hubby also felt "the love" and we've never gone back there for that again. Have to admit I never have felt such a cold treatment from people who supposedly are into cars. Heck my dad worked at GM and always worked on his own cars and he never would behave in such a rude fashion if he went to a car show. Brought up better I guess.

Later this past summer I volunteered us to be at an EV event which had much nicer people in attendance.

Last edited:
When I first got my P85D I used to clean and polish it and take it proudly to the local cars and coffee, and show it off proudly. These days, I park in regular parking and don’t bother showing it at all. These are the reasons why the car enthusiasts at cars and coffee are generally indifferent or even apathetic towards Teslas.

1. No noise. Its a very visceral thing to have a loud revving angry engine that tells the world you’ve got. Both the new ZR1 and the latest Mustangs have super loud and quiet muffler settings, indicating that car companies spend a lot of effort in car noise. And even though I personally would rather hear the radio than a constant exhaust drone, its a very common request to want to hear what the engine sounds like.

2) Literally nothing to see under the hood. You can’t see any of the workings of the car. You can’t see anything that is modified, chromed, or tuned. you simply can’t see the car work. To guys who like to tinker, or mechanics who like to see how things work, this car is boring.

3) Not modifiable or customizable. There is no MOPAR, AMG, M power or third party modifications of the engine. You can’t put stickers all over your car listing the add ons that you have spent your money on to individualize your ride. There are a few companies that are starting to put cosmetic add ons like Novitec, and unplugged performance, but it is my opinion that these mods are quite subtle.

4) People don’t understand Wh/m or MPGe. While people assume that bigger batteries have a longer range, In general, people have no idea that there is a performance difference between a 75 and a 100 kW Tesla. For most people a P100D parked next to a 75 is indistinguishable, but they can certainly tell the difference between a base mustang and 500GT.

5) No heritage. Your dad never owned a Tesla when you were growing up. Your uncle never had a Tesla in his garage. In fact, most of the people who stop and ask questions and are most interested in the car are less than 25 years old. It’s the kids that are fascinated. People with grey hair and NASCAR t-shirts keep on walking.

6) People still don’t understand that its electric. Even despite the car company being several years old now, I’m constantly surprised by how many people still ask me if its a hybrid, or where the gas cap is.

7) People want to drive their carefully tuned car, not be driven by a taxi. Over the years, Teslas have been known by the public for several things. Originally they were the “green” car with no exhaust. Then the “fast” car when the P100D came along. Now, most people seem to know the Tesla as the car that drives itself. And while this is of passing interest, the people who bring their cars to cars and coffee are driving enthusiasts. They want to be part of the driving experience.

I smile politely and tell these troglodytes that my next car will be a Tesla too.

This is a generational thing...

Back in the "old days" (1950-1980) the big thing growing up as boys was to get your first car. Those that then went further and did the modifications to get better performance or make the engine roar were the cool kids. These are the guys at the coffee and cars meet ups. I have several friends who own Ferrari's and don't give a rats a$$ about Teslas because they don't make any engine noise. Even though a Model S kills them off the line. Its an ingrained visceral thing that big loud engines are really cool!

I was never much of a car guy myself, but almost everyone I knew growing up was. As soon as all these old farts kick the bucket, you will see the fad start to disappear. It is likely to start even sooner than that. When I sit at the coffee shop in the morning (not a meet up) and these guys drive by with either very loud and fast cars or Harley's with that obnoxious engine sound, I simply shake my hear. Same thing when I drive past the local In-N-Out and see 50 cars all lined up with their gas engines running. All idling away, burning gas, waiting to buy a cheeseburger... <shakes head>

RT

Reactions: GoTslaGo
This list comes from what people told me as they have walked past my car. I presented this post to explain from personal experience why non - tesla owners might not share our enthusiasm for the cars we own. I have owned fast cars in the past and am well aware of car culture. In the end, the attraction of a car gathering is to enjoy other people's enthusiasm for the cars they own, whether or not you personally like their car. It shouldn't be a "I'm going to tell you why my car is better than yours" experience.

Another time I took my car to cars and coffee I put a piece of paper on the windshield that highlighted a few of the oddities of the car: "2 motors, 1 gear, 700 hp" and lots more people stopped to ask questions. A much more positive experience.

I wonder whether the fame of the 2020 Roadster will precede it sufficiently that the ICErs will understand what they are looking at when the first one shows up at cars and coffee? I wonder whether they will want to know how much i paid for it? ;-)

Reactions: Kipernicus
We always had a phenomenal reception at Cars and Coffee. However, Tesla’s are much rarer in MN than in CA or LV.
I have been to some car meets with less enthusiastic crowds, but never a cold shoulder type reception.
Now, I haven’t been to one in a year. But at our C&C if you are passionate about your car they are happy to have you.

Its a very visceral thing to have a loud revving angry engine that tells the world you’ve got.

I would contend that you need to own an EV before you an realise how unnecessary the noise is. My V8 Lotus-7 Turbo Nutter Bar$tard has not done a single mile since I got the MS ... and to think how much I loved, and how important I thought it was, both the noise and hanging the tail out at every junction ...

So, yeah, no good just pitching up to a Show & Tell 'coz the non-owners are unlikely to get that.

And no doubt there will be some folk who still need the noise, even after owning an EV.

Literally nothing to see under the hood.

I've got all my cables in there. "This is the one I use to get free-fuel at X, and this one at Y" and so on.

People don’t understand Wh/m or MPGe.

I quote two figures (but UK price differential between Petrol/Diesel and Electricity is much more favourable than USA).

[Comparing Petrol and Electricity] I save GBP 100 per month for every 10,000 miles a year I drive. (I'm a 25-27,000 m.p.y driver). So my quip is "Stick that in your monthly finance and where does it get you?"

And
"My Tesla weights a couple of tons"
"really? And goes 0-60 in 3-and-a-bit seconds?"
"Yup, and price-for-price Electricity vs. Petrol it does 150 miles per gallon"
"WTF?"
:rolleyes:

Generally speaking for the dozens of times I have attended local Cars and Coffees primarily in Dallas.
** In a one-on-one conversation, most people do have some amount of interest but sparse actual knowledge. So it does require a bit to help educate and explain some features of the Model S to people. Yes, it is ALL electric. Generally speaking, the large screen and the door handles get people interested, but the finer points are more than most of the general population can grasp and appreciate.
** It is nearly impossible to have any kind of meaningful conversation when you are surrounded by Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers, et al are each fully revving their motors with their tuned exhausts.
A type of "mating call" or "bigger ego call" from the jungle.
Throw in the odd over-reving Lambo and Ferrari (much higher pitched-though still loud), and the din can be nearly deafening. Conversations are completely drowned out. And then there is the smell of the exhaust and possible burning oil...
Noise sells, or at least draws a LOT of attention. Wish it would stop or diminish, but it does continue...
Bring ear plugs, or at least a good sense of humor.
** Cops patrol roads and streets outside the C&C and occasionally pull some cars over who "show off" during their (noisy) exit.
** IF there is are more than two, Red Teslas always draw a bigger crowd than other colors.
** Roadsters always out-draw Model Ss. Many people do not even know what a Roadster is... ...or are stunned to see one and come over and drool on them.
** Biggest draws are ALWAYS the "exotics" on their own row. A lot of the time they arrive late, have coned off areas, guys who help them get into their 'special row'.
** When a select group of owners of a specific make/model arrive together, they try to PARK together (if they get there early enough and there is space). Many of them have spent a lot of time loving and customizing their cars.
** German cars park together: BMWs here, Porsches and some Audis here, English cars park together, Corvettes park here, etc.
** Big trucks with big wheels mostly park on TOP of grassy areas, not in parking lot spaces.

Fort Worth Cars and Coffee is a lot tamer, not so much show and a whole lot less noise.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
Generally speaking, the large screen and the door handles get people interested, but the finer points are more than most of the general population can grasp and appreciate

FWIW When I do a demo starting from home (but I suppose I could do this on iPAD/similar at Cars and Coffee) I start with my Phone APP [including putting Climate on at that point] and TeslaFi on PC screen ... that starts to get their head around the possibilities ...

... and the risk if stopping for prolonged/repeated time at a Destination-likely-to-be-Mistress!! Ah ... all those 1st-world-problem ....

• Helpful
Reactions: montgb
That is not my experience at all. At cars and coffee in Knoxville or at local car shows I am normally swamped with interest. I have made a poster and common questions I place around the car because there are more people wanting information than I have time to give. People are generally interested in NE Tennessee. I also try to get several EVs together as it helps as other can help answer the many questions. And while a few older people don’t get it the kids always do.

Reactions: Jimmy 1