TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

While waiting for a 70D

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Oceanwolf, Feb 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Oceanwolf

Oceanwolf Oceanwolf

I have a dilemma. I ordered a 70D, no Premium Package or the upgraded sound. I got rest of the options.
    My problem is that my lease for my ML350 ends in May. I need a vehicle to get me to the delivery of 70D, which could be anytime after November (Best case)
    I was wondering if I should buy a 2013 or so Leaf to cover the gap. I wonder how much would I lose if I trade that in to Tesla. Anyone planned for a temporary vehicle while you are waiting for an unknown period? Another option would be to extend the lease on the ML, but I have no idea when I would be getting the MX70D.

Onur

2. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Not knowing your budget or much else, what about buying a 2013 Model S, if you can find one? Some of them are a steal in my view, and probably will depreciate slowly relative to newer models. Plus, you'll get accustomed to things like Supercharging and just being in a Tesla. I don't expect my 90D before later in the summer - your 70D by my timeframe would arrive in October/November at best. I don't know what 6 months of depreciation would look like, either way. Just a thought.

3. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I have the same order.

4. Wshowell

Wshowell Member

#4 Wshowell, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    Maybe consider a RAV4 EV. There were just 2500 produced and many are coming off lease just now they are the offspring of a Tesla/Toyota "one night stand". Tesla battery and drivetrain, Toyota body. Check the RAV4 EV forum. Ideally you buy one at a good price and turn it around and make a little money on it. Our family loves our 2014. 100+ range easy at 80% charge. Fast, quiet etc.
    for example, no affiliation.
    2014 Toyota Rav4 EV

5. Oceanwolf

Oceanwolf Oceanwolf

Thanks Ohmman. I am trying to direct as much funds as possible to MX purchase, while getting an MS would be great, I believe I will lose a bunch in short amount of time.

6. Oceanwolf

Oceanwolf Oceanwolf

One of the reasons I am considering a NissanLeaf is that it costs around 10K. If I lose 10% in 5-6 months it will be just $1000, cheaper than my current lease. [emoji3]

7. Oceanwolf

Oceanwolf Oceanwolf

I think it was a very wise decision. I got the 6 seater. [emoji3]

8. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

We just have a long wait! I also chose 6 seats. Did you opt for leather seats? I chose tan.
    I also skipped the premium package, and plan on using the savings for the Model 3.

Why did you skip the premium package?

9. Oceanwolf

Oceanwolf Oceanwolf

I think we have exactly the same configuration. I skipped premium since I did not feel like that it is worth it. Self presenting doors would be fun to show off to my friends, but not that much of a practical value.

10. spentan

spentan Active Member

Personally I'd look at a Volt, I find that the range on the small BEVs are just not enough for a temporary car.

Certified Volts are available around the 15k mark, I think if you negotiated a good price, you'd be able to sell it for not much less.

11. eloder

eloder Active Member

Leafs are extremely cheap to buy used. It's my only car and I don't regret a thing. Range fears are way overblown, unless you actually need it or have a commute that pushes the wintertime limits of the car.

• Like x 1
  12. dutchinchicago

I agree with buying a cheap second hand leaf. I owned one and it is a great car.

I have a 90D on order and I am expecting delivery in December. You might have to bridge a longer gap then you think.

• Like x 1
  13. Diavel

Diavel Member

I have this same package without air suspension but am now considering adding it. 5 settings for height sounds great. My s85 only does 3 settings on the suspension.

14. CaliX

CaliX Member

You might be waiting forever. I will bet good money you will never see a X 70D which is why they are not building them yet. I was at the SC today and they were talking about the release of the updated S next week. I think they will release a 75-80, 90 and 100 along with the updated S.

• Like x 1
  15. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

i would be interested in a bet :D

16. Tgibson

Tgibson Member

I looked at doing exactly what Ohmman suggested. I have a 10-year old Volvo that needed $1,000 in repairs, and is probably only worth salvage value. When I researched buying a 2-3 year old Tesla, the prices seemed very good. I did not buy one because I was told by a few sources when I sell the car as the second owner, the depreciation will be significant. Luxury car buyers tend to only want to buy newer models with a single owner.

17. Oloron

Oloron Member

I hope you are correct. I'd happily wait a couple months for a bug-free "70" with a free battery upgrade.

18. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

I agree with the used Leaf route if you're only expecting to need it for 6-12 months or so. I'd get a '13 or newer SL with the CHAdeMO. You can still find those with low miles for between $13-15k. You can find older ones without CHAdeMO for $10k or less.

19. WilliamZ

WilliamZ Member

Please check with MB on this, I think you can extend your lease for three to six months. Check it and it may just work out.