Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

While waiting for my M3, I have questions....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Introduction
While I am waiting for delivery, I though I'd ask the odd question or two along the way.

My order...
White SR+
No reservation
Ordered 30-Aug-2019
Hidden VIN 4987xx - found 26-Sep-2019 on "product-finalized" page
Delivery estimated as October at time of order
No FSD
Sydney pickup

I'm interested to hear from anyone else who has a White SR+ on order and how they are tracking.
I'm use to long delivery time frames as I usually purchase German built cars that just don't seem to have the options I want.
What I'm not use to is the total lack of information from Tesla. But that ground has already been covered in these forums.

I will try not to ask questions that have been covered in the forums, and apologise if I do. Searching is such an hit and miss process sometimes.

What is the standby electricity usage of a SR+ when it's just plugged in and not charging?
Most devices have a standby electricity usage.
I'm wondering how much an SR+ will use when it is just sitting at home and connected to the wall charger without charging.

Reactions: HighlyCharged
Introduction
While I am waiting for delivery, I though I'd ask the odd question or two along the way.

My order...
White SR+
No reservation
Ordered 30-Aug-2019
Hidden VIN 4987xx - found 26-Sep-2019 on "product-finalized" page
Delivery estimated as October at time of order
No FSD
Sydney pickup

I'm interested to hear from anyone else who has a White SR+ on order and how they are tracking.
I'm use to long delivery time frames as I usually purchase German built cars that just don't seem to have the options I want.
What I'm not use to is the total lack of information from Tesla. But that ground has already been covered in these forums.

I will try not to ask questions that have been covered in the forums, and apologise if I do. Searching is such an hit and miss process sometimes.

@Vedaprime is tracking this stuff pretty closely. Check their spreadsheets.

What is the standby electricity usage of a SR+ when it's just plugged in and not charging?
Most devices have a standby electricity usage.
I'm wondering how much an SR+ will use when it is just sitting at home and connected to the wall charger without charging.

What you are after is the phantom drain rate. Use that as the search key. It will vary a bit depending on use case. It is not much. The car won’t draw continuously. It will charge to the desired set level and then when it drops below a certain level it will charge up again. Mine has the set minimum at 50%, but I still haven’t worked out how to change that.

What you are after is the phantom drain rate. Use that as the search key. It will vary a bit depending on use case. It is not much. The car won’t draw continuously. It will charge to the desired set level and then when it drops below a certain level it will charge up again. Mine has the set minimum at 50%, but I still haven’t worked out how to change that.

I'm not sure that phantom drain is what I'm really after. I have always assumed that phantom drain happens to the cars batteries when the car is NOT plugged.
What I'm after is what the draw is from the household when the car is plugged in, but not charging.

If I had my Model 3, I'd be looking at my household electricity usage (via my solar management system) with the Model 3 plugged in (and not charging) and then with the Model 3 not plugged in at all, and seeing what the difference is in the household electrical usage.
If I were to use the mobile charger, I could also use a WEMO power monitor.

I'm guessing the car does DRAW some power even though it is not charging. That's what I'm after.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that phantom drain is what I'm really after. I have always assumed that phantom drain happens to the cars batteries when the car is NOT plugged.
What I'm after is what the draw is from the household when the car is plugged in, but not charging.

If I had my Model 3, I'd be looking at my household electricity usage (via my solar management system) with the Model 3 plugged in (and not charging) and then with the Model 3 not plugged in at all, and seeing what the difference is in the household electrical usage.

I'm guessing the car does DRAW some power even though it is not charging. That's what I'm after.
Thanks for getting me on the right path.

From what I have seen so far (three weeks) the car does not draw any power unless specifically charging up. I have had mine originally just charging as soon as I plugged it in and now set for charge after midnight with my electric car power tariff through Powershop. It does slowly drain but it does not continuously top itself up as I can see so far.

I don't have any data but I would assume the phantom drain number would actually be pretty close to the answer to your question. Phantom drain is as you said when not connected to power. but if the car was plugged in the car would still use the phantom drain power doing what ever it does. When plugged in that would be topped up by the plug. There might be other factors that are different when plugged in but might be a start until someone can measure it.

As far as I know, when plugged in and nothing on inside the car (eg aircon) the car will use power to charge and then switch the connector off until required again. I always thought if any battery conditioning was required (heating or cooling) it would use mains power first, although I vaguely recall someone measuring zero power whilst the battery aircon was running.

The only proof I have that it’s Telstra is that driving to Alice Springs along the Stuart Highway some small towns only have either Telstra or Optus. My phone is Optus so sometimes the phone worked but the car didn’t (Kulgera) and when the car worked the phone sometimes didn’t (Marla). Don’t know how the locals cope with the situation.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman and Anubis
The phantom rate is not much at all once charging is completed. The good thing is you can use your "shore power" while it's plugged in and theoretically run everything off of that. For example you can play video games or netflix in the car while plugged in at home, while using A/C heating and not run down the battery. This is also massively helpful if you buy the bed insert that companies sell, and use your car as a camper at camper sites.

Regarding power consumption when not charging:
1. The charging cable (EVSE, wallbox, Tesla Wall Connector, Tesla Mobile Connector etc.) will have some tiny draw for its electronics. This should be less than 1 Watt. It doesn't matter if the car is plugged in or not for this tiny vampire load from the wall.
2. The car is always consuming a small amount of energy from the car's 12V system. This is called vampire drain or phantom drain on the forum. The car will consume less when the car is sleeping. Periodically, the car wakes up and charges the 12V battery from the traction battery.

If you were to go on vacation and leave the car plugged in, you would find that it would charge up the traction battery to the target level you selected and then stop charging. After some days, the repeated recharging of the 12V battery will drain the traction battery to the point that the car wants to charge the traction battery again. At that point it will ask for power again from EVSE and it will charge again to the setpoint. This will repeat until the car is unplugged. If you were to go on vacation and leave the car unplugged, the car will continue to lose range until it gets to some lower limit on the traction battery. At that point, it won't recharge the 12V battery any more and the 12V battery will die and the car's computers will all be shut down. To get into the car at that point you must use the emergency frunk release and jump start the 12V battery. If the car is not near a power outlet, you must tow it to someplace where it can be recharged. The rate that the car loses range when parked and unplugged depends on many factors including ambient temperature and whether you have some features turned on like Sentry Mode and Cabin Overheat Protection.