TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Whine for read at 45mph

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by shonline, Sep 28, 2016.

1. shonline

shonline Member

Hey all - had my drive unit replaced this summer in a very new Model S 70 (RWD) in Boston while up in Eastern Canada. (amazing A+++ service story - will save for another time) 4 month old car worked fine, but got a battery error message - told to contact service.

There had been an issue with some sort of high voltage cable which they replaced and they replaced the drive unit out of caution as a result.

Oddly though, there is now a sort of whine coming from the rear of the car at between 40 and 50 MPH with 43-47 as the sweet spot. The original unit was pretty much dead silent, so this was a surprise. At first I suspected tire noise due to a rotation, but this is not the case.

I've lived with this new noise since July, the car works perfectly and I finally got around to asking if anyone else has ever noticed this.

Thanks!

2. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Unfortunately, you may have received an older remanufactured drive unit. Reman units are notorious for developing problems rather quickly, or at least they used to. I would query service and ask for your original drive unit back, or demand that they replace your noisy unit with a brand new one from the factory. Don't let them give you a run-around, they absolutely can order a brand new factory fresh unit - my service did that for me. You may need to speak with the service manager to make that happen.

3. shonline

shonline Member

Thanks - I had suspected that. I'm going to reach out to my closest SC and ask about it. Car needs to go in for some "valet" damage (minor) and I'll have them assess at that time