Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whine when in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed a bit of a whine when the car is first starting out and put in reverse. This happens as I pull out of my garage, but the moment it goes into Drive, the noise stops. Anyone else notice this and anyone have a clue as to what causes the sound?

Lucky you, many of us do not have that UFO sound feature. Our oldest daughter recently upgraded to a 2020 Tesla Model S LR makes that sound in reverse and to a lesser sound in forward at lower speeds to warn pedestrians, specially the ones that either not paying attention or blind.

No it is not a pedestrian warning of any kind, just a slight whine as I back out of garage. Sounds more like some sort of noise from the motors, and if I had to guess, I would say it is in the front motor, but in a garage with the windows of the car closed, it is hard to pinpoint.

I do not notice any noises when in the car but on my Ring video doorbell recordings there is an audible electronic whine when reversing into the driveway. Not sure whether the frequency is just amplified by the doorbell mic?

Stator motors if you pre-conditioned the vehicle. They'll continue to heating up for about 30-45 seconds after you get in the vehicle and drive away. You can replicate the motor whine by putting in a Tesla supercharger location in the NAV and give it a little throttle.

My wife also tends to whine when I go in reverse :) Not unusual

An acquaintance found his dog would cry when riding in his Prius, never when riding in his other car or his neighbors’. He figured the dog was hearing a high pitched sound that was above the audible threshold for people. He took the dog to a behaviorist at the vet school and her first comment was, “I’d cry if I had to ride in a Prius, too.” She owns a Tesla.