Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

whining noise from the rear mirror in refreshed Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

As soon as I took my refreshed model S last Sunday, I noticed a very distinct whining noise coming from the center. It sounds like a fan is consistently being toggling on and off repeatedly. It only happened when climate control is turned on. see youtube for the location and as well as hear the noise.

To reproduce this issue: make sure climate control is on, and also suggest to manually change the fan speed to 1 to reduce the climate fan noise. the sounds is light but very distinct and comes from the center rear mirror, you may have to wait a while (e.g. 1,2 mins) before it starts to make such noise.

I've brought my car to tesla service to fix other issues while raising questions about this noise. the technician verified the exists of such noise and states the noise is normal and it is a feature of the newly redesigned autopilot camera system in all refresh model S/X, and there is no way to fix it for now.

Maybe I am a little bit sensitive to noise but such whining noise is pretty annoying while I am sitting in my car to do other stuff, May I ask if any other owners of refreshed Model S/X also have such noise? I've tried to search the forum before I post but seems no one mentioned this particular noise.

Thank you!

• Informative
Reactions: yo_chill
So its a software problem instead of a defective yoke? I was going to add that to the service since I need to fix something else. If its just a software thing. im not gonna mention it then.
Some people swear they don't have the yoke buzz, so maybe it's hardware? If so, I'd guess it was a hardware charge and a large range of cars have it. I think it is bad software since it doesn't buzz until after the first button press.

Upvote 0
Did you have this buzz immediately or over time? I have not heard this so far and have had my car for 6 weeks.
Immediately after you press any button on the yoke. Then it is continuous.

"The yoke makes a continuous buzzing sound after the first button press. It is silent until you press any button. The noise comes from the left side of the yoke, near the headlamp icon. This is likely caused by a bug in the haptic feedback motor control software."

Take a listen and let me know if you hear it.

Here is what it sounds like:

New video by Jonathan Viventi

Upvote 0

"The yoke makes a continuous buzzing sound after the first button press. It is silent until you press any button. The noise comes from the left side of the yoke, near the headlamp icon. This is likely caused by a bug in the haptic feedback motor control software."

Yes that's exactly what it sounds like. Im gonna ask my service advisor about that.

Upvote 0
Yes that's exactly what it sounds like. Im gonna ask my service advisor about that.
Let me know they say. What is your build date and VIN? I'm MF452xxx
Built: Wednesday October 20th @ 11:13AM 2021

I'm wondering if the earlier builds didn't have the noise and they introduced it later. Probably part of their semiconductor shortage "flexibility". They rushed out new firmware for a new microprocessor and didn't test it.

Upvote 0
I'm petty sure all yokes buzz now. And yeah, it's software almost certainly. It never exhibited the buzzing before one of the later software updates.

But let's keep clear this thread is for the cooing sound from the (apparently) rear view mirror. That has supposedly been fixed as of the last major update. I can't comment since my car is on an older version than this latest.

Upvote 0
I'm petty sure all yokes buzz now. And yeah, it's software almost certainly. It never exhibited the buzzing before one of the later software updates.

But let's keep clear this thread is for the cooing sound from the (apparently) rear view mirror. That has supposedly been fixed as of the last major update. I can't comment since my car is on an older version than this latest.
Interesting that it's a new bug.

I'm pretty convinced the cooing sound is gone. The fan still turns on in my car, and it is audible when it first starts. But, it slowly ramps down the speed and remains on at a low rate, rather than stopping and starting. So, I think they fixed the bug in 2022.4.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Upvote 0

I just got my LR delivered today. The yoke buzz is real. No matter what i do, it's just there. Definitely louder on the left side. This is a 1/26/22 build.

Has anyone ever had this successfully fixed?

Upvote 0