Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whining Noise - While en route to Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GolanB

Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2018
NYC
Although its been about two months since the battery conditioning feature en route to superchargers was released, I just noticed for the first time (possibly because I didn't have music playing) that there is a very distinctive high frequency whining noise coming from either the inverter or the motors if the supercharger destination is plugged into the navigation system.

I did not immediately associate the two things, so I troubleshoot the issue first by restarting the MCU (on the off-chance that the sound was coming from the speakers) while driving to the supercharger. This caused the whine to go away briefly until the system came online again. After restarting twice, I realized it had to do with battery pre-conditioning while en route to the supercharger. I have relatively sensitive hearing, and I got concerned for a moment that this would be something I'd have to live with until I realized it just happens during pre-conditioning. I can live with that ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Brando and eprosenx
Yep. Got this too. Weird that it has to warm the battery to charge when it's 70 degrees and I've already been driving for an hour and a half. It worked though, got the full 72kW at 60% SoC. Maybe it's using the front motor to generate heat...
The target ORBW temperature is 40C [104F]. Driving for 90 minutes doesn't necessarily heat the battery enough, especially under relatively cool 70F ambient temps. Just using ORBW, by selecting a SC on the nav, doesn't guarantee the battery will be optimally warm either. If your battery was really at optimal temperature, it would charged at ~70kW up to about 75% from an Urban Supercharger. I've seen 71kw at 76%.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
The target ORBW temperature is 40C [104F]. Driving for 90 minutes doesn't necessarily heat the battery enough, especially under relatively cool 70F ambient temps. Just using ORBW, by selecting a SC on the nav, doesn't guarantee the battery will be optimally warm either. If your battery was really at optimal temperature, it would charged at ~70kW up to about 75% from an Urban Supercharger. I've seen 71kw at 76%.
Ah. That’s warm. Not sure where the taper was, I arrived at 60% SoC.

Weren't there plans to show battery temperature on the display in a future update? That would be helpful in this situation.

Edit: Did this ever make it to the Model S? With all this talk about battery temperatures it would be nice to have on the Model 3.

2019.20.1 will show battery temperature on instrument display. : teslamotors

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 3.34.19 PM.png

Reactions: darth_vad3r