Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whining sound from rear for 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just got my Tesla S 75D less than a month ago now and ever since I brought it home, I have been noticing this whining sound which seems to come from the rear. The sound is faint at low speeds, but annoyingly loud enough above 40mph that even with my music on, I can hear the sound.

I first noticed it when I was on cruise and holding the desired speed. The noise would alternate on and off. I thought it would be related to the regeneration mechanism, but then I noticed that even when just driving above 40mph, its noticeable. Also, changing from Standard to Low regeneration does not make a difference.

I got my car back from Tesla today and the mechanic said that there was no abnormal sounds. This makes very disappointed and somewhat angry. For such a nice and expensive car, there would be such an annoying sound ? That does not sound right.

Has anyone else with 75D noticed such an issue?

I don't think I can localize it, but I certainly hear a sound that could be characterized as a whine. I've always attributed it to the traction motors and reduction gears. I never thought that my electric vehicle would be literally silent, so I've never paid attention to it. If you find that what you're hearing is truly a mechanical defect, please be sure to add a follow-up post.